My (un-original) 55 Reef Diary!

<3scopas55

Yeah, I was worried that it wouldnt be enough but now that i see it I think it will be perfect. Im still struggling with how i want to aquascape it so again if anyone has any suggestions feel free

<3scopas55

Hey my base rock is here!!! i have like one huge round piece one huge slab a couple smaller ones and im gunna use the buts of rubble for my sump
Im going to start my aquascaping now and then i post pics again in like a half hour or so, WISH ME LUCK!!!

<3scopas55

Hey guys, ok the tank is wayyyy to cloudy to even bother taking pics and so ill just post some tomorrow. After about an hour of struggling i think ive found an arrangement im pleased with....for now
I met Mr. Bristleworm with my index finger once already which was probably i sign that i should just STOP MESSING WITH IT!!! I also ended up not using that one piece of yellowish base rock not only because it was really ugly but because i couldnt find space for the dang thing! Any way ill be sure to show you my work in the morning

bmorecopper

If you can not find a place for that big piece of base rock then do not be affriad to bust it up so that you can use the smaller pieces. If its ugly then you could always hide it somewhere. Just a thought
Copper

<3scopas55

Here is the tank as of this morning!!! Its not the greatest aquascape but it works
I just had a lot of trouble because i had mostly BIG rocks and not so many small ones but I think its good now. What do you guys think!!!
Im going to run to my lfs and get some more water to top it off and then my sump can run on full blast and clean up the rest of the foggy water.
Copper~ Yeah, I considered taking a hammer to that big rock but when i looked at it more closely it looked like it had quartz in it or something really shiney so i decided to just play it safe and leave it out. Plus now that everything is set up i really dont think i need it. Thanks for the advice

nordy

Originally Posted by <3Scopas55
http:///forum/post/2546023
Ya im a fan of the "two island" sort of look and its true about never being satisfied...ive rearranged my little 38 about 4 times and it probably only has like 6 rocks!
Thats part of the reason why im trying to get all of my rock at once so i can see what all my options will be (shape wise)

I had to hunt down my condi a couple of times in the past week after I moved it when it was trying to reach out and touch a couple of my corals
-thought it was dying and I was terrified of what that would do to my tank. Turned out it was just being difficult and has settled into a new commanding perch. I ended up doing a fair amount of aquascaping while looking for the 'nem and i like how it turned out; I thought I was finished with moving my rock around but hey, it is a sickness and and it's good to change things up once in awhile!

<3scopas55

Well for todays updates...

My tank is completely clear thanks to my awesome skimmer. Ive had to empty it about 4 times already because it fills with this thick, nasty smelling, yellow goo! Its finally starting to slow down. I also picked up a few very small peices of base rock at my lfs to touch up my aquascaping

The best part is that my tank is officially cycling

My readings are...
Ammonia- 8.0
Nitrate- 15
Nitrite- 3.1
Ph- 8.1
I also added the recommended starting dose of this additive I bought called Cycle thats supposed to add a bunch of the bacteria to the water to make the process go faster. Tell me what you think!!!

<3scopas55

Ok, I nknow its been a while but nothing has really been going on with the tank, but I think my cycle is starting to end!!!!!

My readings as of this morning are
Ph- 8.1
Ammonia- 0

Nitrate- 15
Nitrite- .25
Ive kept on adding the cycle excelerator fluid also. What do you think??? Is my cycle almost over??? I was thinking about picking up some snails etc. next weekend... tell me what you think

<3scopas55

Bump~
Ok guys, after almost a month of cycleing, I think my tank is ready to go! Ive done a little bit of ghost feeding to keep the tank in shape and ive noticed some detrius/ red algea growing on the sand bed. Doesn't this mean my tank is starting to go through its "maturing" stages??? I was really hopeing to go and gets some snails today?!?!?
Also when do you think i could add some chromis??? A quick response would be awesome!!!

hefner413

Personally, I usually wait 6 wks to the day, but that's just preference. My levels are usually all zero at 4 wks, and would probably be fine to add a fish at that time, but I wait. If it's been a month and your levels are zero, you should prob be fine to add your chromis. Just remember: add your fish slowly... let the tank get use to the chromis and then add your fish one at a time - slowly. Make sure to wait with any fish that may be more aggressive and add them last. On my first tank, I added a yellow tang as my 4th fish. I wasn't able to add anything after that. It didn't bother any fish that were already there, but wouldn't allow any more. I had to trade him.
Well.. good luck! And post some pics when you've added!

<3scopas55

Thanks Hefner,
Yeah, I'm thinking about picking three chromis up on monday or at least by next weekend. Then im going to wait about 2-3 weeks before anything else. Also I was thinking that now would probably be a good time to get a stock list going. I know ive probably thrown my ideas out there before but here is what I was thinking...
3 green chromis
1 solar wrasse
1 male anithias (lyretail or bartlett???)
1 scopas tang -SHE IS SMALL and I already have her so she will go in the 55 until she gets bigger and then she will move out
I was also hopeing i could fit a marroon clown in the mix to but im pretty sure that list is already maxed out
what do you guys think???
Im also planning on doing corals but i only have 260w of PC, any ideas???

H

heart & sole

Originally Posted by <3Scopas55
http:///forum/post/2593994
Thanks Hefner,
Yeah, I'm thinking about picking three chromis up on monday or at least by next weekend. Then im going to wait about 2-3 weeks before anything else. Also I was thinking that now would probably be a good time to get a stock list going. I know ive probably thrown my ideas out there before but here is what I was thinking...
3 green chromis
1 solar wrasse
1 male anithias (lyretail or bartlett???)
1 scopas tang -SHE IS SMALL and I already have her so she will go in the 55 until she gets bigger and then she will move out
I was also hopeing i could fit a marroon clown in the mix to but im pretty sure that list is already maxed out
what do you guys think???
Im also planning on doing corals but i only have 260w of PC, any ideas???
your stocklist looks good except for the tang 55 is to small for one. If you end up putting the tang in the tank make sure it is the last fish you put in the tank or it will bully the new additions..with 260 pc lighting you can keep softies and some LPS corals. I would hold off on getting the marroon clown until the tang is out of the tank.

<3scopas55

The store was out of chromis!!!
Which is really weird because every time i go there they have at LEAST 10 of em!!! and there big 2.5-3"guys not little suckers.... oh well ... i guess ill try back later this week
I did get 10 more turbo snails because im getting a big algea bloom

Any more comments on my stock list???

<3scopas55

I picked up 3 chromis yesterday!!! They are real cute and are eating good
Their really hard to take pics of though lol

<3scopas55

Yes, im not planning on adding the wrasse for another 3 weeks or so...i think i might ad some sort of softie in between there though, any suggestions on a first coral for a reef noob???

Also I was wondering if since I was planning on getting one anthias male, could i get a pink square??? My lfs always has a few males and they are soooo stunning!!!! If i could have one I would do this