Neptunes 125 Reef Diary.

king_neptune

I like it for drilling int he lava...but this is hard to do in other rock. i might have to go to my dads and use his drill press.
i posted on CL asking for locl stores...and the owner of the one in federal way emailed me personaly.
his store is Aqua Exotics. website is aqexotics.
I asked him if I can come in and tour tomorrow, waiting on a response.

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by jpa0741
http:///forum/post/2945690
Not all base rock has to be dried LR. There are many places to get good base rock that never came from an ocean. Although I agree lava rock makes poor base rock. Many people even make their own with cement and sand mix. Many people start with all base rock and just get a few pieces of LR to seed it.
I was trying to get the point through to Neptune as it seemed he just wasn't getting it. Of course you can get calcium carbonate from many sources... However, I don't believe that LR made from concrete ever really looks natural, nor does it have the same properties. JMO though...I'm done here....

posiden

Nice, If you can get an answer out of him, ask when they will be opening up thier doors.
What happened with the brace issue? Did I miss the answer. I saw you were going to fill it up and see.

E

eric b 125

did you drill the tank yet? i saw you got the bit, just wondering.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/2946106
I was trying to get the point through to Neptune as it seemed he just wasn't getting it. Of course you can get calcium carbonate from many sources... However, I don't believe that LR made from concrete ever really looks natural, nor does it have the same properties. JMO though...I'm done here....
I understood. That's why I went and got the lava swapped. I also know that I will have a majority of Live rock in my tank, and a minority of base rock. In fact. I only plan to have the base rock hanging on the wall. the bulk of my LR will be in the oversizew sump. And the remainder will be in the DT.
Originally Posted by Posiden
http:///forum/post/2946261
Nice, If you can get an answer out of him, ask when they will be opening up thier doors.
What happened with the brace issue? Did I miss the answer. I saw you were going to fill it up and see.
He isnt allowed by code for public viewing yet. Its still 1-2 months away. Pickups are by appointment only...but that's only if your picking up livestock.
I will fill up the tank when I get around to it. And yes, a brace is heavy on my mind. I just don't know where to get one...or how to install ect. anyone able to tell me where I can order, and what is needed to install it I'd appreciate it.
Originally Posted by Eric B 125

http:///forum/post/2946427
did you drill the tank yet? i saw you got the bit, just wondering.

tank isnt drilled. I am procrastinating it really. Im heading to my brothers this weekend so I probably wont evin drill till sometime next week,

posiden

What are the diemensions of your tank? If I am not mistaken, that sure looks like factory trim to me. Does it look like anyone has done some cutting on it?

E

eric b 125

i bet if you just contact the manufacturer, you could probably just order it from them.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by Posiden
http:///forum/post/2946821
What are the diemensions of your tank? If I am not mistaken, that sure looks like factory trim to me. Does it look like anyone has done some cutting on it?
Its factory original. Heavy looking plastic...It's about as sturdy as anything Ive ever seen. No markings to indicate manufacturer. Would something like that be on the bottom? I haven't flipped it yet. So I spose maybe I should.
I think I might just go ahead and drill tonight as well. I just got home, and nothing to do till I can get to the drill press tomorrow. Since I haven't found a solid answer on the bulkhead placement...I'm going to take my best guess. Since the bulkhead is 2 3/8th's, I'm not drilling any closer than 2 3/8th's to the edge of the tank.
Can someone give me the name of a reef safe silicone I can use for fastening the back piece to the tank? I want a caulking gun sized tube from the hardware store...but so many brands to choose from, which is safe?

king_neptune

Its full. It creaked a little bit but once it was full it stopped making any noise. I sat and looked at it 20 min. didn't see anything. Ill drill some holes in the plastic at the top and place a piece of plexi over top and

[hr]
it to the frame at the top to prevent any bowing. But I think that's over kill honestly. I believe the tank was designed this way and its fine.

king_neptune

ok...why is the word skreew blocked? cmon isnt that a little stupid? im talking about the drilling kind where you fasten something into place...not the rumpy bumpy kind.

spanko

I think the blocks are automatic because not everyone uses it that way, especially spammers that get through.
I think the overcautious thought of bracing the tank somehow is something I would do. I have a friend that had two 150 tanks braces bread on him with the pressure. Just a good precaution probably. If you are going to use fasteners (hee hee) make sure you get the plastic ones. Metal and saltwater = bad juju.

king_neptune

I guess ill glue them on then.
Got any thoughts on this:
"72inch PFO light for sale. It is PFOs professional brand with the parabolic reflectors and deeper hood. The hood contains 3 400 watt metal halide fixtures, 2 6ft VHO fixtures, and remote ballasts. The hood is black and has tow fans, one at each end for cooling, and there is a protective lens covering to protect the bulbs. It can be placed on top of the tank or hung with its hanging hooks. It also has quick disconnects for each ballast and each ballasts has its own on and off switch. I can include bulbs that have had about 3 months of use. The hood is in great shape and everything works."
Evidently its a 1500 dollar system...but the manufacturer is switching over to LED's. $550 and its delivered to my door. cant beat that...evin used I can buy 3x halides for $150 6 months from now.
Im considering having a hanging hood directly from the ceiling as well. No canopy. Whats a good way to cover the tank? Eggcrate ok?
Also Im unsure about VHO lights...does that mean I can have actinic blue moonlight in my system for night viewing? Or do VHO do something totaly different?

spanko

I would not trust glue. I would use plastic s-c-r-e-w-s- and n-u-t-s and washers.
Wow. Sounds like a great deal but I think the amount of electricity used and 1200 watts of metal halide might be overkill on your tank. Let's see what some others say.
I like pond screen netting. I am leary of the light diffuser material, does is actual reduce light while diffusing? Don't know for sure just a gut feeling type thing. IMO why use it when you can get the same jumping protecting from the pone netting without the concern of light loss.

king_neptune

Then again...I am going steep on the wattage anyways.
If I don't like the hanging hood idea...Ill build a cover in the future. For now ill hang it...besides...much cooler anyways.
Any thoughts on height above tank I should consider it? 8-10 inches or so above the water I would guess.
And I can shut off the individual lights as well...who says I have to keep all three going.

renogaw

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/2945607
Also I got a half dozen pieces of slate, I was wanting to mix them in hear and there to kinda make some shelves along the back wall of the tank.
i may be mistaken, but slate is no good for salt either.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2947180
i may be mistaken, but slate is no good for salt either.
good catch. Ill proably toss it as well. Cant believe this...they sell it in a saltwater store!! I am never going back there. I already made up my mind after the lava rock debacle. Letting me walk out the door with a ticking time bomb and getting upset with me and scolding me like a child with the "No body forced you to take it" speech. Whatever. there prices were over priced anyways. Ill just order fish hear. the guarantee is better anyways.