Neptunes 125 Reef Diary.

king_neptune

Got me some Joe's juice the other day. Squirted that little aptasia sukker, felt really gratifying to see him dissolve into a pile of white goo. far as I can tell that was the last of the aptasia. Ordering my 50lbs of base rock today, and a few other odds and ends. Ill put up some picts when they arrive and are installed.

king_neptune

Ok I hit a bit of a road block. I want ot incorperate chemipure into my system because carbon is nice...and it adds a blue tint to my water. but how?
Could I possibly put it in my GFO carbon reactor? Or do I need to buy a HOB filter? Or a canister? It would be pretty sweet if I could jsut drop it in my GFO, that would really simplify things a lot!

fishkid13

Is it just in a bundle or do you have to pour it in to something? I just stuck bags of carbon inbetween my baffels of my sump. That way water is always moving through it.

king_neptune

After thinking about it all afternoon that is the conclusion I came up with as well.
I ordered a couple small media bags that I can stuff with the carbon, and then place inside my baffles. The other alternative is I can put them in with my reactor, and simply separate the media types with a filter pad. I do wonder if I can use the Chemi pure with my other carbon media...or is it one or the other?
I went on a big spending spree just now.
I got a bunch of stuff.
Power heads, assorted filter media,reef salt, 50lbs of Base rock, High Quality TDS meter for my RO-DI unit, and some misc items.
Man I love payday!! boy I hate spending :(
But this should be all I need, I got enough filter media and reef salt to last me till the end of next year.
Soon as I see a complete cycle, Ill order a CuC and be on my way towards my first fish and corals!

d-dzel

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3118410
1. A Powered Blue Tang(those browns look like barf!) Completely agree on that!

3. Couple Blennies...not sure which..something pretty.(ideas?) Midas Blenny!
4. A couple Gobies.(ideas?) Twin spot goby? They seem really nice
5. A single Pistol shrimp to go with the gobies. Pistol shrimp? I think they go with a twin spot goby. A LFS had them as a pair
6. Some assorted wrasses.(maybe 3 or 4) I actually really like the cleaner wrasses
7. When it is matured nicely I'll have a Mandrin. Love em!YES!

king_neptune

Originally Posted by Posiden
http:///forum/post/3120031
This picture you posted shows a chamber for carbon on the right.
Yup, I'm beginning to think it will be fine if I have two types of carbon in it. On the bottom Ill have the Activated lignite, and on the top Ill do chemi pure. That way it hits the chemi pure on the way out, giving it that blue tint I really want. I have enough of both so if i don't like mixing it...i can simply switch solely to one type.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by D-Dzel
http:///forum/post/3120051

thanks for the tips. im not really into bland colors, but that twinspot goby looked really cool. I might give it a serious consideration.
As for blennies, ya I really like the midas, im also thinking bi-color would be cool.
and the cleaner wrasse seemed pretty nifty, saw a great shot of it riding on a yellow tang. Im interested in a symbiotic relationship. nice find. thanks.

d-dzel

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3120086
thanks for the tips. im not really into bland colors, but that twinspot goby looked really cool. I might give it a serious consideration.
As for blennies, ya I really like the midas, im also thinking bi-color would be cool.
and the cleaner wrasse seemed pretty nifty, saw a great shot of it riding on a yellow tang. Im interested in a symbiotic relationship. nice find. thanks.
Yeah the powder brown seems kind of...meh. I don't find him attractive at all. With the blue one you get a nice bright display of colors. Bi-color blennies are pretty nice looking as well. Many people don't like the cleaner wrasse because they don't look nice, but I like them! I had one that always cleaned my tangs and it was pretty cool just watching him doing his job. I don't think they form a symbiotic relationship, they're more like the cleaner shrimps, just setting up cleaning stations, but they're pretty cool though and cheap, I got mine for $5

oceansidefish

King_Neptune;3118410 said:
On the fish side! Ok all i have right now is:
1. A Powered Blue Tang(those browns look like barf!) good luck these seem to be a tougher tang to keep, make sure you hypo this guy for sure
2. A purple Tang - Cool fish, pricy though
3. Couple Blennies...not sure which..something pretty.(ideas?) Personally I would start with a couple of the smaller guys as your first fish. There are some awesome smaller blennies that need to be established before larger more agressive fish go in. I love the tail spot, there are some cool ones I saw in from Japan that are being mislabeled as sail fin blennies. Also A midas is always a great addition to any tank.
4. A couple Gobies.(ideas?)I like the randalli goby
5. A single Pistol shrimp to go with the gobies. Here I would tell you that these guys get to be a pain. I had one for a year and a half and it tanked my flame scallops and my clam, they also can cause Nitrate issues because mine was a CRAZY digger. He had so many burrows that ran all accross my 60g
6. Some assorted wrasses.(maybe 3 or 4)I would go with maybe a Melanarus or my favorite and exsquisite wrasse and probably a fairy. Caution when mixing wrasses
7. When it is matured nicely I'll have a Mandrin. Love em!
Thats 10-11 fish, most of which are small, so im confidant I can add more than that.
=========================================
A maxima clam...blue.
Tons of coral, mainly SPS/LPS and some mixed others.
A few anemones.
==================================
For CuC:
1. Assorted snails, about a dozen total.(Ideas please)
2. Few more shrimp for the CuC...probably a pair of cleaner shrimp, and maybe a skunk or two.
3. Pair of emerald crabs(maybe as much as 3 later on when tank matures).
4. A sally lightfoot crab.
5. Pompom Crab

king_neptune

Got me a tripod today. $25 walmart special! Gotta love it.
I already like it better. Shots come out much crisper. Before I would go through a dozen shots till I got one in focus and clear.
For those of you who wondered about my overflow blocking too much light. Here are some shots from different angles using the exact same lighting conditions:
OH NO ITS TOO DARK YIKES!!!

Now a different angle:

Its just a matter of how the camera translates the image. In this shot it focused on the reflection and left the background image alone.
And my diatom is really coming of age!

coral keeper

Originally Posted by D-Dzel
http:///forum/post/3120051

I would stay away from the cleaner wrasse unless you have a but load of fish for it to clean. Get a Neon goby instead, they looks the same, clean fish, and have a million times higher survival rate.