New 0.75 gallon nano!

jeo

Thanks YAE4Volcom. I will be posting new pics maybe in a day or 2. There are a cople of shrooms and zoos in it right now (just on the sand) that I am going to attach to the rock. Then I will take more pics.
I think this tank would be good for pods, plenty of light fot growing macro algae for them to live in, I don't think they have to many other special requirements. I have a couple living in mine.
I don't know though, the pods might not have enough swimming room in this tank, and I would hate to make a recommendation that would lead to the abuse of sea life ;)

ophiura

Let's play adults, kids.
FWIW, I see no problem with someone pointing out special requirements of certain animals, and the extreme difficulty of keeping this sort of system stable. This has nothing to do with liking or not liking nanos. I only have nanos, but don't think that this sort of system is suitable for some of the animals that you have put in them, temporarily or not. The logic is a bit flawed, IMO. And there is, whether people like it or not, a responsibility issue here. Obviously these tanks are not the ocean...but you are putting animals into a system that is new, very small, highly prone to major fluctuations...very different from even a 10g tank. You should be responsible in what you choose to put in there, and that is all that is being pointed out, IMO.
And the risk of a cycle is quite high...not sure why the assumption that a bit of sand and water from an established tank will suddenly keep this one stable. But there is hardly enough water to test it a full range of parameters....
Anyway, good luck to all of you with this. I am interested to see what happens with a few shrooms, polyps...tough stuff...and really dedicated hobbyists who won't forget about it for a day. But don't be surprised if people are not really open to the stocking level, the speed at which it is being done, and the animals that are being chosen. Seems to me this sort of system should be stocked and monitored exceptionally slowly in order to understand how it will work, and when it will fail. It is not something to be rushed into; it is a betta bowl after all.

Y

yae4volcom

HahaHahhaha
Yea you wouldnt ever want to do that......
Poor little 1/2 centimeter pods :(
I understand that putting a fish in something like this isnt good but she was only doing it to feed the little guy TEMPORARILY
p.s. HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jeo

jeo

I am having difficulties finding a good way to attach shrooms and polyps to the LR. I have left my shrooms in the sand and they have attached to some of it. I took one and glued the sand to a small piece of rubble. The shroom didn't react well to this and has been shrivelled up for 2 days now. I does look like it is still alive though. I tried glueing a couple zoos to a small piece of rubble as well and they have stayed mostly closed. The remaining shroom in the sand looks good though.

justinx

Get some pantyhose and put the rock with the shrooms into them (cut the pantyhose down to size obviously) and stretch the nylons so that they force the shroom into contact with the rock. Leave it like this for about a week at most and they will attach in no time.
Justin

jeo

Allright, Update time. I got new ricordia yesterday for my nano and I also put some discoma and zoos from my main tank. So far everything is good, except the hermit got banished becasue he wouldn't stop knowking corals over.

M

mattbryant2

would this tank be capable of supporting a hermit or a shrimp? certainly not a fish, i assume?

M

mattbryant2

this would be easy to transport, right? and what kind of maintenance does it take?

jeo

Well I am taking mine to college on Saturday so I hope its east to transport. As far as maintenence you really have to keep on top of top offs (pun intended), which isn't as much work as it sounds like. I just pour a little bit of Aquafina in it once or twice a day. Other than that you might have to clean the glass and rinse out the filter once and a while. The only other big thing is picking bugs out of it, becasue they fly around the light and then somehow get in the water and float around on top. I take out at least 3 every night.

jeo

I left mine for 2 days and it was ok, but unless you have some kind of top off system you can't leave it for anything longer than that

j21kickster

ya- its too bad they dont make top off valves for nano tanks- any topoff you put on that thing will look wierd and stand out- but if you were leaving for a while- i guess it wouldnt matter