New 0.75 gallon nano!

M

mattbryant2

pardon my beginner question, but why are top offs important? and do you need to feed any of the inhabitants of your tank?

jeo

as water evaporates the salinity increases (becasue the salt stays), so when you have such a small tank with a large surface area to volume ratio the water evaporates quickly and you have to top off frequenty to keep the salinity stable.
I might feed my ricordia and zoos once and a while.

imo

I saw 2 of these at the LFS yesterday that have been up for some time. I think you could do it realtively easily as long as your diligent. I have an idea about not being able leave it for more than 2 days. Could you not just pull of the light and filter real quick and slowly ease it into your main tank that most of us have. I know it would fit quite easily submerged in my 55 say for a week. You could then come back and pull it out, put on the light and filter and go back to normal.

Just to let all ya'll know, this tank is at ***** on sale for like $23 bucks or something like that. Thanks to ~Jeo~ I just had to buy one, even though I really should've bought groceries instead. I'm excited about getting it going here in a couple days....they come in so many different colors and clear too....:D
It'll have a little piece of LR and a small scarlet hermit!
Thanks Jeo!!!

N

nanoambiance

FOR JEO in relation to what TANGPRINCESS JUST SAID.
That system at the website tangprincess just mentioned, it looks exactly like the one you have setup, my question is, is that the same one you have, and is the standard light enough to grow all of those pretty shrooms/polyps, or did you upgrade the lighting.
And I didn't see a heater on there, so enough heat from the light and filter huh? or Ill need one too.
I really appreciate the time to respond to me JEO, I know you are busy telling everyone about it, but its great and if you have people who are going to be dedicated to this kind of system (MYSELF INCLUDED) it means a lot to pass on that happiness of the hobby to others. You can email me the setup and lighting details at goldstripemaroon@hotmail.com if you wish, or here.
Looking forward to it, and good luck to everyone else trying this style tank! I am putting off writing a paper to check all this out and day dream about having it on my desk . . . :)

jeo

Hey, sorry it took me a while to respond, I am in college now and, well, quite frankly there is a lot of stuff to do here besides sit around at my computer -even swf.com :cool:
Anyways, I wasn't able to find this tank on the ***** site but I didn't look for too long. There are 2 sizes and you want the bigger one. (one is like 4.5" square and one is about 6.5" square). I have been just using the light that came with it, and the heater and light does keep the temp high enough. As far as I can tell it does not remain constant, but the tric is to only put hardy corals in the tank. So far eveything has been doing fine - not always expanded but usually. I really don't do anything other than keep it topped off so thus far it has actually been a low maintenence tank. This is a good thing because I don't have time for anything else.
Ok well good luck, keep the questions coming if you got them

N

nanoambiance

JEO
Just got mine and setup with display water, LS, LR. I was able to fit one small triangular piece in there and leave room for some mushrooms/ricordia and maybe a polyp or two. A few questions when you have time.
1) Would a small piece of plexi glass over the top hurt the light transmission down to the rock/corals or no. Reason I asked is because some people complained about the open top, and this could be a simple way to fix if did'nt hurt light.
2) The stuff in yours right now, were those really small frags, or you just got small stuff from LFS or online. Duh, space is tight, so I am going for 1-2 ricordia, and a green star polyp maybe. Should I wait for small stuff, or get some frags from my friends 29 reef when its ready?
3) Lastly, do you think adding one small blue leg hermi (I have several in my display) would help with sandbed, or would it hurt the mushrooms and anything growing out of LR. I have no problem with no inverts in here, I just want to do the smartest thing.
Thanks again, I have it setup next to the computer, and its already awesome to have some stuff up close and personal while I do things on computer. Thanks for your help. And I was very please with the light that came with the .75. ANyway . . .

jeo

1. plexi glass would reduce the light to some degree, how much and if it would matter I can't really say, you would have to try it.
2. the red and purple mushrooms (doscoma) and orange zoos are frags from my tank. The ricordia I bought at the lfs. So just get whatever looks good.
3. I had a hermit in mine and it was a pain because he hept knocking all of the corals off the rock so I out him back in the main tank. So I wouldn't get one. Try to get bristle worms and pods.
good luck
:cool:

reeferdude

I have 2 of those little guys set up right now, one in my bathroom with some frags from my reef tanks. It has one stalk of Xenia, about 6 diff types of zoos, and some star polyps. My light is broken on the one on my nightstand so it doesnt have any corals. Only thing diff I did was take out those sponges in the filter and add some sand, live rock rubble and some macro to make a super mini refugiem. I also have not done a single water change (I do add some coral-vite every now and then) and all of my corals are growing and doing great. I do feel ANY fish in this tank is a bad idea, it is just to small for anything but the smallest fry to even move around!