New 300 gallon In-Wall tank build

E

eric b 125

Heck yeah! Man that looks good.
I'd love to have that kind of space to work with.

edat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B 125 http:///t/394784/new-300-gallon-in-wall-tank-build/220#post_3527019
Heck yeah! Man that looks good.
I'd love to have that kind of space to work with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13
http:///t/394784/new-300-gallon-in-wall-tank-build/220#post_3527021
Wow. Your hard work and planning really paid off. It looks great, super clean. I am very impressed.
Thanks, got to go to Lowes in the morning to pick up the final 4 plumbing fittings I need and I will be done with plumbing!!!

Until I decide to get the reactors purchased.....
Also going to get some macro algae from the LFS. I have been looking for a particular light to use on my fuge for weeks now and I was just told that Big Lots of all places might have what I'm looking for so going to check them out too.

edat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/394784/new-300-gallon-in-wall-tank-build/220#post_3527027
What are you using to light the fuge?
I saw a light similar to this on someone's setup before and I liked the look of it.
I could find replacement bulbs all over the place but never the lamp itself... or at least I could not find it for under 60 bucks. I think Big lots has it for under $20. I like the fact that it is a slim design and the "neck" is flexible so that it can be moved out of the way easily if needed to prune macro algae and other maintenance. I had a clip on type fall into the sump once so I don't want that type again and this has a plastic cover to protect the bulb. I had a squiggly bulb on my last setup and didn't notice that the bulb was covered in salt until I tore it down. I will more than likely remove the base and somehow mount the neck to the underside of the stand.
The bulb is 6500K

2quills

I almost ended up using those bulbs to make a scrubber light. The components are cheap enough you might be able to make something similar.

edat

I got the frag tank plumed into the system yesterday so I did a power outage test this morning. I have just about 1 1/2 inches to spare. I knew it was going to be close but not that close. I kept the return pump off for about an hour just to make sure everything drained completely.

edat

I've moved all of my corals out of the temporary tanks into the frag tank and a few into my display. Most are softies zoanthids , mushrooms, a couple leathers and a crapload of candy cane that I plan on selling off.
I had the hard corals in the smaller of the two tanks, they were both plumed together and for some reason over the course of 2 days all but 90% of them turned white???
I only had a few but they had all gotten big. I did mange to save a little of each... I will keep an eye on them to see if they continue to die off or start growing again.
I need to find a light for the new frag tank... I still have the 250 watt MH fixtures that I had planned on using but I think I'm going to sell them... I don't need the extra heat in the utility room right now. I was thinking of getting another AI unit but don't want to drop the $$ on one right now. Any suggestions on a new light? Frag tank is 36x18x8 want to be able to keep SPS
Here are a few more pics. they have
Water is supplied off a line from the water blaster 10000 in the sump (throttled way down of course)

Notice the "Herbie" overflow in the corner

Time to get some fish for that empty QT

Scape is really starting to grow on me... even though in the pics it looks like a straight wall....

sweatervest13

Look into the Reefbreeder LED units for the frag tank. They are about half the money of the AI units and put out pretty good numbers. They have the value fixtures that are not controllable and the Photon series that can be fully controlled.

marvelfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/394784/new-300-gallon-in-wall-tank-build/220#post_3527145
Look into the Reefbreeder LED units for the frag tank. They are about half the money of the AI units and put out pretty good numbers. They have the value fixtures that are not controllable and the Photon series that can be fully controlled.
Awesome. Do you know anyone that owns these. They are very well priced for what you seem to get! I'd love to order a 48" LED fixture for my 120! I think I just found what I want to put on the top of my Christmas list this year!
edat... your tank and fish room are coming along awesome!!! I really want my next build to be an in wall. I love what you have done with it!

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelFan http:///t/394784/new-300-gallon-in-wall-tank-build/220#post_3527273
Awesome. Do you know anyone that owns these. They are very well priced for what you seem to get! I'd love to order a 48" LED fixture for my 120! I think I just found what I want to put on the top of my Christmas list this year!
edat... your tank and fish room are coming along awesome!!! I really want my next build to be an in wall. I love what you have done with it!
I have a pair of the Photon 32's over my 125g. I have had them up since January and I really like them. It took me 6 months to ramp up to 100% power (it would have fried corals if I went any quicker; these lights are pretty powerful). I have the standard full spectrum layout with 90 degree optics hanging about 9 inches off the waters surface (this is a pretty good height, any lower and you chance getting some spotlighting).
I went from 3 T5 MH combo units (2x 150w, 1 x 250w MH's) each with 4 plugs used to run the unit (12 plugs being used to light the tank). The Photon's each have 1 plug. I was running about over 700w of light over the tank down to like 400w ( I think they use about 200w each unit). No bulb replacement, lower electricity bills, and no heat issues with the tank.
Here is a pic or two for you to check out... Edat one of these on your frag tank would look great and save you some money compared to the AI units.

edat

Look into the Reefbreeder LED units for the frag tank.  They are about half the money of the AI units and put out pretty good numbers.  They have the value fixtures that are not controllable and the Photon series that can be fully controlled.  
I think the value fixture might fit my needs perfectly.
And looks like the $179 fixture come with the wider optics for shallow tanks

sweatervest13

I think the value fixture might fit my needs perfectly.
And looks like the $179 fixture come with the wider optics for shallow tanks
That's a good price and they are Pretty powerful. The 120 degree optics and full spectrum should do well for the frag tank.

zoecat118

Hey E, its Vicky. Your setup looks amazing. Congrats on finally upgrading..I know you have been talking about it for years..lol.

edat

So after looking at many of the tanks on here and other forums.... then looking at my tank, as much as the scape is growing on me it is no where close to what I envisioned when I decided to upgrade. So I will be taking all of the rock out of this tank and selling most of it.
I really want to go with the look of 3 islands in the tank. 2 taller and narrow on either side in front of the overflows maybe around 18" tall and a longer shorter island in the center maybe 3 1/2'-4' long and 14" tall. The center island will be 3-4 inches off the back wall but will be on the average of 1' to 1.5' wide. All would be staked to allow even big tangs to swim through.
I've been looking at several places to get good dry rock.... nice sized pcs at a good price. Please PM me if you have any suggestions. (I've already PM a few of you) Any guesstimates on to how much I would need?