New 56g tall tank

flower

Video update: I just cleared a bunch of macros so now you can actually see the seahorses.
I wish I had a way to edit the contents, as some of my video is out of focus for some reason. But for the most part it looks pretty good so I'm posting it. Someday I will learn how to use my camera and it's features.
These are Kuda seahorses, That pavalon is 13 inches tall and 10 inches around to give you an idea of their size.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/340#post_3485898
Boy, with that much macroalgae - you need a weedy sea dragon!
LOL...Oh man I just wish I could have one of those...I don't have that kind of money for sure.
The horses are as happy as could be in all that...I never harvest too much because they like it, and it is after all their world. I just want to peek in and be able to see them...LOL... I still removed enough to share with three people.

flower

I have babies this morning, and all I can do is just watch them die.......Do Kuda fry eat copepods? Because if the do then they have a chance at life, I think I spotted one snick something up.......I turned off the pumps and the bubblers are keeping the surface moving. So far they are being blown around and manage to hitch for a few moments...............................
The only thing my sump does is add water volume, I don't have a working skimmer.....Is it possible to just turn off the sump pump and keep everyone in the same tank? My only real filtration are the rocks and macroalgae............................................
My Kuda tank is super loaded with pods...nothing in my tyank eats them.

flower

Quote:Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/340#post_3495501
Bummer! :(

Would you believe the hectors goby started eating them! He is such a little fish I didn't think he would be a concern.....Oh well, the babies had no chance after I realized an eater was in the tank with them, so I just turned on the pumps. I did do some homework, they do eat pods and they are very healthy and good for them.........

S

smallreef

Wow... im suprised the goby is eating them!
well for next time maybe youll be able to catch him and put HIM in the sump, lol atleast for a time out if you try to raise them...

flower

Quote:Originally Posted by smallreef http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/340#post_3495606
Wow... im suprised the goby is eating them!
well for next time maybe youll be able to catch him and put HIM in the sump, lol atleast for a time out if you try to raise them...

That's an idea, I was shocked to see the goby gobble a couple of the fry. I should have realized since he was eating the mysis that he would eat the fry that look very simular.................................. I was actually surprised when I thought about it, that I don't have any filtration on this tank besides the nitrate filter, and then the natural filters of live rock, sand and the macros. I don't do regular water changes either, the last one was a month ago of about 12g....before that it had gone 2 months....................I have been sick, I have a lady now that comes in and does a once a month WC on the two tanks. ...................................In spite of all that, my seahorses seem happy as can be, and they spend the day hunting down the amphipods.

novahobbies

My lyretail anthias used to gobble down the H. reidi fry when I had birthing events. It was painful to watch, but hey....Mama Nature is sort of a tough old broad, from what I hear.
IIRC Kuda fry are similar to Reidi in their first meal requirements. Rotifers are considered "best" for the first couple days, then if you have a good concentration of small copepods you can feed that, but the pods should be considered in between snacks. The trouble with copepods is breeding enough to achieve a good feeding density; rotifers are easier to culture in that respect.

flower

Quote:Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/340#post_3495743
My lyretail anthias used to gobble down the H. reidi fry when I had birthing events. It was painful to watch, but hey....Mama Nature is sort of a tough old broad, from what I hear.
IIRC Kuda fry are similar to Reidi in their first meal requirements. Rotifers are considered "best" for the first couple days, then if you have a good concentration of small copepods you can feed that, but the pods should be considered in between snacks. The trouble with copepods is breeding enough to achieve a good feeding density; rotifers are easier to culture in that respect.

Well, the little critters didn't make it. I can't find a single one in the tank, dead or alive. I have so many copepods it looks like my water has floating debris, then I thought maybe I had micrbubbles...but when I look thru a magnifier they are copepods.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/340#post_3495851
Awwww.....I'm so sorry. :-(
Well, I didn't hold much hope, but every time I see another batch, I just start thinking all over again on what I could do ....someday I will be able to save some of those little guys.
For now I turn my attention to the potbelly fry tank, and work on that idea some more. My budget is done for October, so I know what I want to do, but have it all on hold until next month. Seahorse Sam says their babies are half an inch at birth, those will be hard to just watch die since I can see them without a magnifier glass.
It's been a year, but I just am not used to not getting a pay check. This once a month thing is hard for me, paying the bills is easy, I just pay those out on the 1st, but everything else like food, my SW fish addiction, and medicines has to be budgeted out.
Now my desktop computer is on the fritz...I used the last of my "free cash" to purchase an operating system disk (Microsoft 7) I'm crossing my fingers it's a software problem. I was trying to remove McAfee off the computer, and then the thing couldn't reboot. I had the system return to a previous saved point, which it did, and I thought all was good... but the next time I turned on the computer it couldn't reboot, and now it says it has no previous point to go back to. And it returned McAfee back on there....I just can't get rid of it, and trying to has corrupted the files beyond repair.
I wanted to install Nortons, but Meowzer said to try something called Avast. That backup disk I had was useless, it contains the device drivers and not much else. Worse case, I can purchase a bare bones system and install my OS, so either way, now I have my own disks. Back in the old days we always got the disks when we purchased the computer. LOL...I also miss the ability to replace things that went bad, now everything is already attached to the mother board.

novahobbies

Do you do anything "crafty" of sorts that you can sell on Ebay? I've found that to be a great way of getting a little spare aquarium cash from time to time (although I admit I haven't been doing that for a while).

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/340#post_3495900
Do you do anything "crafty" of sorts that you can sell on Ebay? I've found that to be a great way of getting a little spare aquarium cash from time to time (although I admit I haven't been doing that for a while).
I have never sold anything on eBay. I can't do my art anymore because of arthritis. However I have a beautiful wood burning on an old oak library table top of a lion pride, and another wood-burning of a mountain ram. However I wouldn't let those pieces go for under $400.00 each. I don't think eBay is the place to sell original one of a kind art works. Also I burned the lion pride on damaged stressed wood...I can just see somebody getting all upset because it wasn't in perfect condition.