New 56g tall tank

novahobbies

HAH, I wouldn't be surprised. People can be weird about that.
BUT....I think we need to see some pics of those wood burnings!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/360#post_3495925
HAH, I wouldn't be surprised. People can be weird about that.
BUT....I think we need to see some pics of those wood burnings!
As an artist I thought it was cool on the used table...but folks online, they are not exactly the art collector types you would find at a gallery. I think I posted them once upon a time ago...They are my favorite pieces so I kept them. I had a hard time trying to get a pic without the light reflecting back, the pictures of the pieces just don't do them Justis.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/360#post_3495934
WOW, both are beautiful!
Thank you. It's a shame I don't have the ability to woodburn anymore....like I said, these were my favorite pieces. To be honest, I don't really want to sell them. I made them for myself, the mountain ram has the long horns, like my shofar...(Jewish horn). I love the big cats, I also did a full tiger laying down on a cherry wood coffee table, and a head on each of the two end tables to match, but I sold them. The pictures of them are lost someplace in my boxes upon boxes of pictures.

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/360#post_3496014
Thank you. It's a shame I don't have the ability to woodburn anymore....like I said, these were my favorite pieces. To be honest, I don't really want to sell them. I made them for myself, the mountain ram has the long horns, like my shofar...(Jewish horn). I love the big cats, I also did a full tiger laying down on a cherry wood coffee table, and a head on each of the two end tables to match, but I sold them. The pictures of them are lost someplace in my boxes upon boxes of pictures.
....Yes, because I have no
idea what a Shofar is......

flower

UPDATE:
My lifter pump failed last night and I had a minor flood. I unclogged the pump but after multiple tries, it just doesn't have enough power to suck water. It would run fine at the sink, but when I would put it on the CPR overflow...nothing. Then back to the sink I would go. In the end it couldn't even pull water from the bowl I had in the sink. It could suck a little, and it blew air but not enough strength to draw up the water for the CPR. I ordered a new one. They do make a prefilter, I wonder if that will help.....
Acrylic51 doesn't like the lifter pump (I totally understand why), but all my attempts to use a regular max-jet type of pump doesn't work either. The new maxi-jets I got, have a square nub, and it doesn't attach well to the air line. I'm so disgusted. I even entertained the idea of a canister filter...all I need are the hoses. I don't seem to have such a big problem with the 90g and it's sump system...I just clear the lifter and I'm back in business....yep, that canister is calling my name again for the 56g

al&burke

That is totally frustrating Flower, drilled tanks are the way to go, and I understand you don't have one. Can you get some small tubing to connect the maxi jet, why don't you send a picture of it to us.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/360#post_3510322
That is totally frustrating Flower, drilled tanks are the way to go, and I understand you don't have one. Can you get some small tubing to connect the maxi jet, why don't you send a picture of it to us.
The word frustrating seems so inadequate...but yes, I'm pulling my hair out...so to speak.
I have a maxi-jet that I got just to replace that pump, and for the life of me I can't get it to do right...same problem in the 90g, so I went back to the lifter pump in that tank as well. My next tank will be drilled. The small tubing won't fit...I can't seem to make a good seal with the larger one that does (it even came with tubing and it won't work either...it won't fit the nub on the CPR overflow), I even tried some of that white tape. The nub on the maxi-jet is square...why in world they did that I don't know.
I have the tank set right now with an airline to the sump to keep it aerated. I have a small hanging canister for a filter (nothing in it but floss to catch big stuff) and the regular air lines and power heads for water current up top. There are plenty of macros so the water parameters are pristine. There is no skimmer on this tank. The skimmer broke over 8 months ago, and I never replaced it. The chiller is rigged at the top tank.
The new lifter pump is scheduled to arrive Thursday, so my temporary band-aid should hold things over quite well. I'm going to order an extra lifter pump to have on hand should I ever need it (I may as well say for the next time)
Oh...and no pictures right now, I loaned my camera to friend. I can take a picture with my phone but I don't know how to get that pic with any detail on the computer. 1 mega-pixel or whatever is on a phone, doesn't come close to the 18 mega whatever is on my camera. LOL...you see how much I understand about picture taking.

al&burke

Hey Flower sometime to get the tubing smaller you can get piece to fit into each other until the diameter is right for your CPR overflow. In other word stick a piece of tubing into the larger one then another one until you get the right size.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/360#post_3510478
Hey Flower sometime to get the tubing smaller you can get piece to fit into each other until the diameter is right for your CPR overflow. In other word stick a piece of tubing into the larger one then another one until you get the right size.
I have done that with larger tubing, and it does work great and makes a nice tight seal...but the black piece of hose that came with the maxi-jet is too small for the regular air tubing to fit inside. they look almost identical in size so I thought regular tubing would fit...but it didn't....I think it was Acrylic51 who told me to use that white tape, or maybe 2quills (I don't remember now)...I put the tape around the tube and shoved it inside the square nub...that worked, but every time I bumped it, or the pumps stopped and restarted, it would have to be redone, just any little jar. I turn off all pumps to feed the seahorses 2Xs a day and it turned into a big headache....so I went back to the lifter pump.
I thought I could just purchase another brand of power head with a round nub...but it didn't work at all. I thought they all draw from that nub the same way. The air tube fit and everything, I still have it. Maybe when I get my camera back (next week I hope) then I will take some pics, and you could walk through how to get it going. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, it should work.

novahobbies

Hey Flower, this happened to me once with my TOM Aquatics filter. It has an overflow that is very similar to a CPR unit, and uses an air-lifter to clear the siphon-gate.
I once had a piece of hair algae get stuck on the nipple that connects the overflow to the lift tube. a small piece of algae got sucked deeper into that plastic nipple. Every time I would clean the air lift I thought it worked, until I plugged it in to the overflow. I finally fixed it by BLOWING through the tube, that's when I saw the algae come back out.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/360#post_3510653
Hey Flower, this happened to me once with my TOM Aquatics filter. It has an overflow that is very similar to a CPR unit, and uses an air-lifter to clear the siphon-gate.
I once had a piece of hair algae get stuck on the nipple that connects the overflow to the lift tube. a small piece of algae got sucked deeper into that plastic nipple. Every time I would clean the air lift I thought it worked, until I plugged it in to the overflow. I finally fixed it by BLOWING through the tube, that's when I saw the algae come back out.
I run a paperclip (unfolded) through it and blew into an air hose to make sure it wasn't clogged. It's the pump because i watched it work then stop and then work a little and stop again. The new lifter pump arrived this afternoon...I'm thinking to leave everything run as is, and get one of those pre-filter things they sell for them.

flower

UPDATE: With pictures.
Before:

After:

My macroalgae went really crazy, the horses were happy as can be, but it was really fugly... and I had little baby aptasia started everywhere. The front section of the columns was so covered and aptasia ridden, that I removed it, and scrubbed it. I cleaned it up in freshwater, I'm not sure if I should put it back in there or not. I used a rubber-band as a temporary hold for the air line. The horses are a bit angry but I did (actually my cleaning lady did as I watched) a 25g water change.
I need the 3 new peppermint shrimp I just added a week ago, to eat the few baby aptasia I can still see, but not reach...so far they are not doing their job at all. For the time being, I will just add some plastic plants for hitches and leave the big front piece out. That way it's an easy cleaning job once a week.The horses are mostly staying in the back because the front piece was their favorite hang out, none of them are interested in the airline as a hitch, bubbles or not...LOL, the rock hugger doesn't care, she has her favorite spot on the branch rock. The others keep going to the front, but finding no hitches they float a bit and go back to the rear of the tank. I have to put some kind of hitches in front, or I will never see them except feeding time. The horses stay chocolate color, and the black background makes them near invisible. However I see the pipe-fish all the time now.
I also ordered a HOB filter to catch the big stuff like I did on the 90g. The sump is great but I like being able to change the floss without bending over or getting on my knees. I was thinking that I could move the column section to the right side, and then I can hang it on the back. The only problem with that would be that I couldn't see the columns as a focus point. If I hang the new filter on the side...I can't use the canopy Snake made for me. I use that shelf for the in-tank refugium, and the pump for the chiller. Decisions, decisions...what do you guys think?
I spent two days on seahorse.org because I thought the horses had bacterial infections...they were all three covered in white blotches. I was told to lower the temp to 68 and get some Furan 2. I ordered the Furan, but after I lowered the temperature, by morning all the white blotches disappeared. Dan U said the temps just slow down infection not cure it. It must not have been vibro after all, the folks on that site told me to keep a close watch and not dose the Furan 2 for now. At least now I have the Furan on hand if I ever need it...and I hope I never do.

novahobbies

WOW, what a difference a cleaning job makes! Looks good. And yes, I hope you never have to go through the Furan treatments either!

flower

LOL...yes a little cleaning goes a long way. The poor horses, they are trying to hitch to the shells in the open area on the sand bottom, because they like the front of the tank to hang out in...The fake plants should arrive today or tomorrow, so they will have something to hold on to.
I see a bunch of aptasia in the little in-tank refugium too, I removed the rocks that were covered with it. Now I see aptasia growing on the sand, the walls of the little tank, and just outside the holes where water passes through....no doubt seeding the rest of the tank. I hate to remove it, the amphipod population is booming and the horses love to hunt them down...they will gobble them all up if I dump the fuge into the display...and how would I dump the tiny critters without causing the aptasia stress, and make them spawn even more....???
Oh...the white blotches appear to be their attempt to camouflage themselves. They come and go, almost looking like Erectus horses except the blotches stay more on the back and not be bands all the way around. Then in a day, depending where they are hanging out they are chocolate brown again....I think they are getting white blotches from trying to match the sand. I would prefer to see some yellow or red. I have a black wall in the back, red macroalgae everywhere, and the sides of the tank are yellow...
most of the sand was covered in macroalgae..so why white?

flower

Just an update:
I removed the sump system off of this tank. It was more hassle then it needed to be. Biggest reason was that lifter pump, it was just too difficult to get to every time it decided to malfunction. I can reach the one on the 90g quite easy. Then add the fact that I can't bend over for long, the space was tight and everything I had to do or change was a major job. I went with a Fluval C4, 5 stage HOB. The media is quick to change and with all the macro algae, all I really needed was something to catch the big stuff and any of the dying baby Kuda horses....I see another pregnant male, I have 1 female, and she is the most prolific critter I ever saw, the 3 males actually hide from her.
Taking that sump out was very hard (for me) to do. My bedroom is so small, and I had the chest of drawers in the way on one side, the chiller and Aquaripure filter was on the other. My return was a gizmo Cory designed for me with a big T shape of PVC that sat on opposite ends of the tank, complete with valves to regulate the flow...it got hung up on the overflow box, and the overflow box got hung up on it....I used my PVC cutter to cut the hoses with the valves and dropped it down to get it out, then the overflow box also had a valve...I cut the hose above that and was able to finally remove it. The whole thing would have taken somebody else just maybe a few minutes, but for me it took 2 days...I do a little, then have to sit down and wait for the pain to subside. Amanda, my granddaughter is here on her spring break, and removed the water from the lower tank. Cutting hoses was a job for Nana, not an energetic 11 year old girl. I just didn't feel safe to have her mess with a PVC cutter.
I still have the 15g tank and stand in the garage, since I have to pay someone to service my tanks, it was just crazy to try and save my baby seahorses. Amanda wants it, and if I can talk her mom into it, she can have it.