New 56g tall tank

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/300#post_3473898
Mine gave me 50% of the current value IIRC. In other words, the $20 fish I bought as a baby that they would now sell for $35....I got $17.50 credit. Your list there seems like it would be worth a bit more than $75, but that's just my opinion. For the fish alone, maybe. But not for all the other stuff.
Well...all things considered, I was thinking $100.00 to $150.00 but the remaining fish were small guys...The Kenya tree corals were single stalks, the bubble was a frag and the only thing of any worth was the frilly yellow leather. I almost forgot the purple finger leathers, but they didn't look at all happy. That is all that's left of the stock I brought in. I'm sure my big hippo that died last summer when the power outage happened would have brought me some good money...ones half his size sells for $75.00
We never get back what we pay in no matter what, that much I can be sure of. This guy at least gave me something, the other store was willing to just "take them off my hands" for nothing.

flower

Okay picture update time I guess:
The prolifera is ready to be harvested. The Kuda horses are so different than the potbellys in every way.
They are about 7.5 in size, and stay hitched almost constantly, and move very slow from one hitch to the other. They usually stay very dark and turn pale for the one female in the tank. The rose petal looking macro is halymenia.

The biggest peppermint shrimp I ever saw...he is the size of a large cleaner shrimp

The macros keep the tank water pristine...I like bubble algae and put it in the tank on purpose.
The small red tufts (Halymenia) are attached to empty shells using them as hold fasts...great for giving away to friends. The horse thinks I don't see him and made himself as small as possible...camera shy.

The botryocladia (red bubble) have taken off and are making great hitches. Check out that huge feather duster.

FTS

bender77

I would love some of your prolifera. Do you give it away when you harvest? I love the tank. I remember when you were building it. The kudas look great

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender77 http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/320#post_3479961
I would love some of your prolifera. Do you give it away when you harvest? I love the tank. I remember when you were building it. The kudas look great
We are not allowed to buy or sell on the site but I do indeed give it away...I hate to toss it in the garbage..PM me your address, and real name....you pay me back shipping, which is usually around $12.00 depending on where you live.

meowzer

They look great Flower....I am very glad they are doing well for you :)
That's how I feel about my Kenya.....I am soooo overgrown with it.....I usually toss it in the 16G QT....LOL.....Nobody seems to want it

jaodissa

I love your macros such a beautiful tank. I like the bubble algea too, but I thought it was bad? And I totally would love the prlifera and kenya you guys are crazy lol.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaodissa http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/320#post_3479972
I love your macros such a beautiful tank. I like the bubble algea too, but I thought it was bad? And I totally would love the prlifera and kenya you guys are crazy lol.
LOL...Thanks, but you can only give away so much, then everyone has their own crop and it lands up being tossed away. The green bubble algae can be a pain to harvest, and it has lost it's place as a desired macro. When I first got into the hobby, the books said green bubble algae was beautiful and desired....LOL...those are very old books now. I still like it.
Botryocladia is also a bubble macro algae, but it's bright red and grows on long stalks which make awesome hitches for seahorses. The halymenia looks like rose petals, it's bright red and feels kind of leafy like a red ulva macro.
With seahorses, macros are the easiest way to keep the water pristine, they are very messy eaters. All I have to do to keep it going is harvest the overgrowth, and I'm happy to share.

jaodissa

I put some macros in my tank, but it was to early and I killed them. I ended up not liking them anyways though. I tried the Ulva because my husband liked it, but as everyone said here it was just a mess. I tried the red garcilaria, but it turned white as soon as it went into the water. I have one paint brush macro algae, and one halimeda, but again not something I like. I started looking for the halymenia when you suggested it, but couldn't find it for sale anywhere. I found the prolifera, but it was sold out so I've been sitting around waiting till it's available

I have a TON of cheato macro algae that hasn't died though so I guess thats good lol!!
How long did it take you to grow your macro algae as full as your picture is? Im guessing some grow fast and others don't. How fat are the ones you have?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaodissa http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/320#post_3480025
I put some macros in my tank, but it was to early and I killed them. I ended up not liking them anyways though. I tried the Ulva because my husband liked it, but as everyone said here it was just a mess. I tried the red garcilaria, but it turned white as soon as it went into the water. I have one paint brush macro algae, and one halimeda, but again not something I like. I started looking for the halymenia when you suggested it, but couldn't find it for sale anywhere. I found the prolifera, but it was sold out so I've been sitting around waiting till it's available

I have a TON of cheato macro algae that hasn't died though so I guess thats good lol!!
How long did it take you to grow your macro algae as full as your picture is? Im guessing some grow fast and others don't. How fat are the ones you have?
I ordered a red macro sampler from Golf Coast Ecosystems and some prolifera when it was available (all are seasonal) I also already had some botryocladia from a 30g long I had up before the 56g I upgraded to. Most of the red sampler died off. First I noticed little crusty red dots on everything...I thought it was cyano at first until I touched it. Then the little dots looked like scales, little disks stacked on top of each other. I posted a picture for ID, and nobody was really sure what it was. So I waited and after a few weeks it started to look like rose petals...just everywhere. I harvested it and then noticed all kinds of different red macros. I also have a branchy looking type...I looked at my book and it looks like a different type of halymenia called Floresia, the red ulva looking stuff is Floridana. The sampler must have seeded the tank.
The tank looked very sterile at first...here is what it looked like in stages. I didn't post every picture but it shows the time line pretty good.
9-17-2011 (no in-tank refugium)...no horses yet...erectus horses were still in the 30g at this time.

I added the macroalgae 12-17-11 ...still no horses, I thought I had cyano on the columns (new tank).
it was just a bunch of red all over

These were the erectus horses, and red dots are everywhere and looking like scales...12-26-11

Here are the red scale dots 4 weeks later...1-19-2012

2-16-12 Just before the first harvesting of the prolifera, and I added the refugium.

4-10-2012 The feeding column removed...it kept getting strings of dinoflagellates on it.

5-5-2012...these are Kuda seahorses.

6-25-2012 Taken a few minutes ago, and in great need of harvesting all the macros
by the refugium is a huge bush of botryocladia ..that column is over 12 inches tall.

jaodissa

Really amazing!! Can't wait for it to be in season so I can buy some!! It's crazy how different the tank looks from picture one to the last picture. I think if I can figure out how to get sime bubble algae I will give it a try too. It adds something I think.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaodissa http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/320#post_3480092
Really amazing!! Can't wait for it to be in season so I can buy some!! It's crazy how different the tank looks from picture one to the last picture. I think if I can figure out how to get sime bubble algae I will give it a try too. It adds something I think.
PM me your address and when I harvest I will send you some...you pay shipping. I hate to toss it in the garbage. I have two people who want some already. I'm thinking next week to harvest.

flower

This is a test to see if i can upload a video

I loaded it on U Tube...and it said my video lives at this address...but it won't upload on this site using that address. I'm soooo disappointed. I have tried loading vidoes since 2009.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/320#post_3484870
This is a test to see if i can upload a video

I loaded it on U Tube...and it said my video lives at this address...but it won't upload on this site using that address. I'm soooo disappointed. I have tried loading vidoes since 2009.
I just tried to embed a vid from my photobucket page and none of the options worked...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/320#post_3484871
I just tried to embed a vid from my photobucket page and none of the options worked...
Okay, glad I'm not alone...I copied and pasted this thing...in the hopes that maybe I just didn't have the URL address right

IT worked...It worked ...It worked!!!..FINALLY
LOL..Please forgive the condition of the tank...the macros really need to be harvested, I could only find one seahorse in all the mess...LOL and the horses are all around 7 inches in size.
Now...just for the sake of maybe I'm nuts...but here is the address I typed
http://youtu.be/el9_gWOfTAc
And here is the address I copied pasted....For the life of me, I don't see the difference. But the copy paste worked..

http://youtu.be/eI9_gWOfTAc
OMG...I can't believe this...When I post it shows what looks like an l is actually a capital I....but when I type in the box before the submit is hit...they looked identical. Well mystery solved anyway, from now on...I will copy paste.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///t/387668/new-56g-tall-tank/320#post_3484873
Very nice!!
Ever thought of trying pipefish?
LOL...There are two of them in there! They are orange with a blue strip, and a flag of yellow and blue on the tail....I can't see anything in there for the macros and the pipefish blend in too well. Once in a blue moon I spot them.
I did find the Hectors goby because he was right in front and just briefly I caught a horse inside the pavalon, I didn't see him when I was recording but he is almost in the video. I can see my reflection on the glass and I can hear myself wheezing when I breath. It isn't the best video but by golly I finally can upload one.

slice

Thanks for pushing me to figure out video embeds, I just posted one of my own!
See if you can get a vid of those pipefish, would love to see them.

flower