NEW dwarf seahorses!!

bronco300

lol, thanks! i m not sure i'll see him have his babies...taking a while...they are found in the N.E of the US to the gulf of mexico...and the only breeders are in the US, not allowed to anywhere else at this point, so being in the US(or mexico) is pretty important to b e able to have these guys

rykna

WOW! I'll have to search online tomorrow, well actually today for books on dwarf SH's. I think you've got me hooked. They're soooo cute... :happyfish Women are also suckers for cute little animals

bronco300

lol, good to hear, sorry about the addiction...its hard to get away from them...come visit and see them in person, then you'd for sure be hooked for life!!!

bronco300

welp looks like he had all his babies!! hopefully i caught one on the camera, but not sure.....i counted i think at least 20 little babies that i could see.....ayayay so many already!

rykna

Originally Posted by Bronco300
hahahahaha.....so thats what you tell your hubby huh? lol
Welll.........I think he's on to me 6 years ago we moved to Virginia due to a job offer. I packed all my fish(fresh water) into a 5 gallon bucket, they rode with me in the front seat on the floor, at night I brought them in the hotel room and ran a bubbler....
I also brought my 2 iguanas too. They basked in the warm sun on the dashboard...I even snuck the baby, Goliath, into resturant and bought some salad and fresh fruit to share with him

:happyfish

bronco300

Here are some shots of my little corner and my hatching setup...planning on moving it to another room...but i'll explain it in a second what i have here

HATCHING SCHEDULE:

HATCHING SCHEDULE WITH GREASY ENRICHMENTS:

bronco300

ok, so here is how it goes....basically the the red circles are my two hatcheries that i have, the purple are the airlines(the purple arrow is wher my airpumps are) and the blue circles are my enrichment containers.
so basically the system iss put eggs in the hatchery, give it 24 hrs, then switch them to the enrichment container while putting new eggs in the container...leave the bbs in the enrichment container for another 24 hrs to grow mouths...then once that has been accomplished put enrichment in there for 12 hrs, then feed....oh and rinse the bbs off to get all the crude from the saltwater you used off...and easy as that...kind of difficult at first, but now its clockwork, i spend about 30minutes a day on feeding

bronco300

beats the tar out of me how they make it...probably stay in the grassy/seaweedy areas where other fish cant get to them as well?
thanks for the compliment, love takin pics of these guys!

rykna

WOW!!! :scared: Now that is a cool set up! Bronco, do you mind if I print your diagram out?
Very cool

Not to mention your pictures

I am going over to a huge croft store this afternoon to get some larger Clam shells.
Say, on average how long does it take for a seahorse to recognize the feeder tube?
The little guy is happy to suck up pods, but takes his sweet time when it comes to dinner. He does eventually picks out a few choice pieces, but it doesn't really seem very excited about it. The rest of the fish clan has been very polite about not eating his dinner. The rest of the gang pigs out on the larger brine shrimp and other mixes I have. :notsure:

bronco300

haha...thanks, go ahead and print, thanks for asking!
what is a croft store? :notsure: haha
i have no idea, as i have to puts TONS of baby shrimp in mine, i dont get to feed them, i just put em in and hope for the best,haha....good to hear your other fish dont take his food, if it were my clowns that wouldnt think twice...mine will steal out of my corals mouths!!!
that would be one thing i would check on constantly to make sure they are not stealin food...,but he probably just needs a few days to get used to eating from you

rykna

It's ahhhhhh.....russian for crafts...yeah

Thanks for the go ahead on the print out. I gotta study that :notsure: :thinking:
:thinking: :happyfish
I hope it won't be long, he has stopped fleeing from my hand when I feed him, that's a good sign.

Any signs of the new batch???

bronco300

haha, good luck studyin, its pretty easy to see, ask if ya have a question about something.
new batch? you mean my new little ones? i'm at work here,lol...cant very wel take one from here, sorry.

rykna

It looks simple enough. I'll have to put the equipment together and give it some tests runs.
Me too! My boss gets home in about 10 minutes. I hope she had a great day in kindergarten :happyfish

waiting

Been meaning to comment on this: Amazing tank! I love the picture of the yellow seahorse in post 75, staring right at the camera. I'd love to get seahorses one day, but I don't think I could ever take care of them properly. :/

rykna

Originally Posted by Bronco300
lol,. whew, tough boss! you're going to start hatching?
Probably in 2-3 weeks...Gotta becareful with my fun money...$50 bucks a month....I got plenty of store credit, and a few left over tanks....so i'll have to go through my fish stuff and see what more I'll need to buy. I'm also putting money aside to buy the little guy a lady friend on my birthday in may. I'm hoping to get a sunburst mustang.
I went out to the craft store today and got the shells for the feeding station. If I can manage to get an hour to myself......which is not likely. I'll have wait until wednesday when the boss is at school
:happyfish