New purchases : )

inkman2004

So how many watts per gallon do all of you guys think he should have? And it is not true that you cannot have an anemone under PC lighting. I have only used PC lighting and never had any issues with anemone health. Right now he has a little over 4 watts per gallon. I have always had around 5-6 watts per gallon with no issues, but I did have ample rockwork and my anemones stayed mid to upper level.

swimmer4uus

Yes, you are the exception, not the rule. I'd much rather see an anemone given more light, even if some people say they are having success with PC's. I would never try it myself though, just my own rules and regulations. I also won't keep sps under PC's either, even though some people do the monti's and such with limited problems. Why take shortcuts when these creatures are adapted to certain regions in the environment? I'd much rather try to reproduce all aspects of their natural life.

flower

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3263863
I can never remember either, so its added to my spell-check dictionary. (This is tru fer meeny,menny comon werds)
LOL...you can do that???
On the clownfish hosting...

inkman2004

Originally Posted by swimmer4uus
http:///forum/post/3264456
Yes, you are the exception, not the rule. I'd much rather see an anemone given more light, even if some people say they are having success with PC's. I would never try it myself though, just my own rules and regulations. I also won't keep sps under PC's either, even though some people do the monti's and such with limited problems. Why take shortcuts when these creatures are adapted to certain regions in the environment? I'd much rather try to reproduce all aspects of their natural life.
So how many watts per gallon does he need? I dont see how 130watts of T5 or metal halide are going to do any better than 130watts of PC lighting. Don't take this the wrong way, I am not saying that lighting is not important. I have noticed a huge difference in the opinions of people in this forum in just three years that I have been away. I remember back in 2005 people would try and get you banned from the forum for keeping a mandarin in anything under 120 gallon tanks. Now people keep them in Nanos. If everyone wants to keep the metal halide companies in business that is fine, but there are ways to have a beautiful aquarium without spending your childs college fund. Hope I don't offend anyone.

meowzer

Originally Posted by inkman2004
http:///forum/post/3264483
So how many watts per gallon does he need? I dont see how 130watts of T5 or metal halide are going to do any better than 130watts of PC lighting. Don't take this the wrong way, I am not saying that lighting is not important. I have noticed a huge difference in the opinions of people in this forum in just three years that I have been away. I remember back in 2005 people would try and get you banned from the forum for keeping a mandarin in anything under 120 gallon tanks. Now people keep them in Nanos. If everyone wants to keep the metal halide companies in business that is fine, but there are ways to have a beautiful aquarium without spending your childs college fund. Hope I don't offend anyone.
The one thing I have learned from this site and some experience...is it isn't the WATTS of the lights....it's the PAR.....they are not the same thing...it has to do with the light intensity.....I tried a few different anemones in my 225G under pc's....surprisingly (NOT) they all died....I now have metal halides, and have had a beautiful BTA for 16 months

I have also read that people keep then under T5's too....again....PAR....

swimmer4uus

Yes, PAR is the one you wanna take a look see at. Now, I'm not saying PC's can't give the animal enough light, but the energy required to give the same PAR from PC's is just not efficient. I would go T5's or LEDs. Right now I have a BTA adjusting to my LEDs. As far as I know, I don't believe anyone has tried this.

Y

youknow2025

http:///forum/post/3264483
Thank you! I will be getting more rock tomorrow. 20lbs I believe, and I think my wallet will be hurting for the next couple of months so that should satisfy me for a while.

inkman2004

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3264493
The one thing I have learned from this site and some experience...is it isn't the WATTS of the lights....it's the PAR.....they are not the same thing...it has to do with the light intensity.....I tried a few different anemones in my 225G under pc's....surprisingly (NOT) they all died....I now have metal halides, and have had a beautiful BTA for 16 months

I have also read that people keep then under T5's too....again....PAR....
There you go that is how you tell someone that there lights aren't up to PAR (Pun intended)!!!! I am just one of those people who likes to hear why, don't just tell me no. And I am glad your anemones are doing great. But if you tell me that you are an OU fan I am going to have to tell everyone to completely disregard everything you say. GO LONGHORNS!!!!

But in all seriousness I had a BTA that lived in a 55 for over 2 years under pc lighting, and I had LTA under PC's that lasted over a year before I consolidated to one tank and gave it to a local reefer.

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3264739
There you go that is how you tell someone that there lights aren't up to PAR (Pun intended)!!!! I am just one of those people who likes to hear why, don't just tell me no. And I am glad your anemones are doing great. But if you tell me that you are an OU fan I am going to have to tell everyone to completely disregard everything you say. GO LONGHORNS!!!!

But in all seriousness I had a BTA that lived in a 55 for over 2 years under pc lighting, and I had LTA under PC's that lasted over a year before I consolidated to one tank and gave it to a local reefer.
LOL..I am a NY YANKEE fan....& Dallas Cowboys...don't really care about college but hubby likes OU so I have to
anyway....I have heard of some successes with pc lighting....I just had none....and I believe there are more losses of anemones with pc's than success stories (just from reading)

swimmer4uus

Considering the life span of anemones, 2 years is not that long. BUT nutritionally enhanced food often will help an anemone pull through low light conditions.

Y

youknow2025

http:///forum/post/3264739

Oh yeah! Thats where I plan to go to college!

What do you feed your anemones?

swimmer4uus

I believe it's a LTA. I saw in one of the species books at a LFS the species. Too bad I forget it. It's a sand dweller, once typical characteristics of LTA's. If it's on the rocks, then maybe I'm wrong.

lord fu fu

IMO its a LTA because condy's dont have that whitey silvery line down their tenticles which leads me to believe a LTA

spanko

Your picture:

IMO Macrodactyla doreensis
LTA.
Here is some information on them.
"Macrodactyla doreensis, Long tentacled anemone.
These anemones have very long [up to 5 - 6 in.], smooth, thick tentacles sometimes with longitudinal stripes extending into the oral disk. The tentacles originate from a round flat oral disk, distinguishing it from the condylactis anemone. The foot of the base is almost always bright red or orange.
Good points - they are hardy if kept under Metal Halide lights. Under lower light levels they seem to slowly waste away.
They come in a variety of patterns and colors including purple. Accepted by Clarki clowns, Tomato type clowns and pink skunk clowns.
Bad points - They must have bright lighting.
They normally live with their base buried deep in the sand and sometimes have a difficult time finding and attachment spot in a reef type tank."