Novahobbies official 110g rebuild thread

S

siptang

Rick - Did you get my text? Your nebula looking zoa that I picked up for you from Damon is called Blue Galaxy palythoa!
Megan from Reef gardeners told me yesterday. :)

novahobbies

Got my new LEDs wired up and on the tank. 4 Reds, 2 Greens, and 2 Warm Whites.

Curious to see how some of the "paler" corals do over the next few weeks.

S

siptang

Nah mine is still work in progress. I'm however starting to really dig my setup. I will agree about rick's tank thougg. It's coming along real fast and mighty awesome looking.

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/391428/novahobbies-official-110g-rebuild-thread/1260#post_3519948
Nah mine is still work in progress. I'm however starting to really dig my setup. I will agree about rick's tank thougg. It's coming along real fast and mighty awesome looking.
Man, you are too modest. Of course ALL our tanks are "works in progress." However, as a visitor and impartial observer to Siptang's tank......I can say that it is truly impressive. I have SPS envy when I see his green birds. If I'm very lucky, my tank will mature that well.
I just spent a few minutes tonight swapping out my filters and messing with my timers. Couple things to report.
First, you may know that I'm using Kent M magnesium to get rid of some bryopsis patches. The general rule is to increase the Mag (using Kent M product only) to 1800ppm and leave it there for two weeks. Well, I'm dosing SLOWLY and have it up to 1650 so far, and I'm already seeing results in some of the bryopsis patches. I need another bottle of Kent to finish the job, but with these results I'm hoping I don't have to bring it up over 1700. We'll see.
Since I can't do water changes while the Mag treatment works (bugs me) I have to make sure the filter floss gets swapped out more often. Twice a week. The floss gets clogged much more easily, presumably with bryopsis gunk.
Since I added these new lights, I also upped the blue to compensate for my viewing (I don't like the red and green rays that were playing on the rock). Because of the increased power punching into the tank, I shortened my light timer. Blues now come on at noon, and turn off at 12:15am. Whites now come on at 1:30 and turn off at 10pm. Red and Green is tied into the white. I figure I can change my lights and turn them on manually for the weekends when I'm home during the day, but this schedule is now the new normal weekday setup. If anyone thinks this light schedule is wonky, please chime in.

S

siptang

Thanks for the kind words buddy. I think it's finally all coming together. Colors are start to come back and finally started to see some pe with growth.very happy camper here. :)

novahobbies

Happy to report that a significant bunch of bryopsis is GONE. The patch that was growing out of a green zoa colony has disappeared, along with the patches on the right side of the tank near the ricordeas and hydnophora. In fact, the only real patch that's left is a thick bit that's sort of shaded...it seems to be holding on strong. I'll give this another week at this level, and we'll go from there.

novahobbies

Thanks Krista!
I'm going to run a couple experiments here. Since the lights are new, I want to let the tank settle in for about a week and observe any color change in the corals. Some of my coral are lighter than they should be...my birdsnest, my big pocillopora, and my red Goniopora.
Second test will be removing the biopellet reactor. It's running but not tumbling (unless I shake it thrice daily!). Now, I know our man Siptang here is CERTAIN that I'm stripping nutrients from the tank. I just don't agree with that as a general viewpoint...I have bryopsis algae patches, I have a few cyano patches, and I have some grunge that I siphon every water change. There ARE nutrients. HOWEVER, I can't argue the point that there might be some relationship between the biopellets and the coloration. The only way to be certain is to remove it from the equation. So, I plan to do that and let the tank adjust to that for a couple weeks.
Finally, I plan to introduce a UAS into the mix. Probably some time in early June. Since there should always be a SMALL amount of phosphate, I'll have to turn the GFO off to avoid 100% stripping of this nutrient. I am cautious about this, because I just don't feel comfortable turning my GFO off completely, but I'm willing to see what happens. This test may not occur, if the second test (Old School filtration, GFO, Chaeto, and Skimmer) do the job at keeping the tank clean and algae-free.

S

siptang

I'm not sure of byropsis but I know for a fact that white clear algae that you had before in your tank and cyano is from your bio pellets.
Your big tank just doesn't have enough nutrients for your corals to truly feed to color up when you don't have a huge livestock and your aggressive approach on taking out the nutrients lol.
skimming, frequent water changes, chaeto, macro algaes, bio pellets, gfo to name a few.
My bird of paradise and my green birdnest started to go pale on 2nd week of bio pellets and I cut it off completely since then. I had those for several years now without any issues and nothing was changed or added besides the bio pellets.