Octopus

texasmetal

Originally Posted by Halamaya
http:///forum/post/3201329
i read that they will use coconut shells for shelters. They carry them from one place to another. They considered it to be using a tool. The first to do so. I wonder if he would. So cool.

That's specifically Octopus marginatus.

texasmetal

Get your thawed piece of shrimp, stick it on the end of a bamboo skewer, and wiggle it in front of Ollie's den. That entices the octopus to be involved with what you're doing because there is a reward. If you'll do this during the daylight hours, Ollie will most likely begin venturing out regularly during the day. If live food is available during normal hunting hours for an O. briareus (nighttime), then he/she won't be interested.
This has worked with every one of them I have kept.
My O. briareus topped out with an arm span that could reach both sides of the 75 gallon tank it was in from the center... that's about 47 inches inside, side to side. Got lucky enough to receive it when it was about 2 inches tip to tip.
Great photos!!!

lmecher

Originally Posted by TexasMetal
http:///forum/post/3232149
Get your thawed piece of shrimp, stick it on the end of a bamboo skewer, and wiggle it in front of Ollie's den. That entices the octopus to be involved with what you're doing because there is a reward. If you'll do this during the daylight hours, Ollie will most likely begin venturing out regularly during the day. If live food is available during normal hunting hours for an O. briareus (nighttime), then he/she won't be interested.
This has worked with every one of them I have kept.
My O. briareus topped out with an arm span that could reach both sides of the 75 gallon tank it was in from the center... that's about 47 inches inside, side to side. Got lucky enough to receive it when it was about 2 inches tip to tip.
Great photos!!!

The only time he ventures out in the daylight hours is when I clean the tank. I have tried to feed him shrimp on a stick during the day. he will basically reach an arm out and pull the shrimp in. Once he gets the shrimp thats it he stays in his den. I should keep trying maybe eventaully. Thanks for the input and tips. Did you have any phtots or videos of your octopus? Would love to see it. I know how rare it is to get ahold of a young O, briareus. Where did you find it? How long did it live for you. I've had Ollie since October 24th, almost 4 months. In the back of my mind the I know this won't last forever, I find myself looking for signs of senesence, then I stop myself, he is great today that's all that matters.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by Lmecher
http:///forum/post/3232257
The only time he ventures out in the daylight hours is when I clean the tank. I have tried to feed him shrimp on a stick during the day. he will basically reach an arm out and pull the shrimp in. Once he gets the shrimp thats it he stays in his den. I should keep trying maybe eventaully. Thanks for the input and tips. Did you have any phtots or videos of your octopus? Would love to see it. I know how rare it is to get ahold of a young O, briareus. Where did you find it? How long did it live for you. I've had Ollie since October 24th, almost 4 months. In the back of my mind the I know this won't last forever, I find myself looking for signs of senesence, then I stop myself, he is great today that's all that matters.
Got it from Diver Tom. Kalypso lived 14 months with me, probably about 2 months old when I got him.
Next to some tiny blue hermits...

Greeting me for food...

One time I grabbed a toadstool leather out of the tank to run to my frag tank, left the lid unfastened for about 30 seconds. Came back into the kitchen (where the tank is) and Kalyspo was cruising around on the tile. My pug/chihuahua was chasing him around but had no idea what to do with him. It was rather comedic. Not too many people I know that can say they've chased an octopus around their kitchen.
I would suggest holding off on the food for a day or two. Don't allow your pus to actually grab the shrimp on the stick. Just tease it, make it HUNT the food, come after the food instead of the food coming to your pus. After maturing and developing a habit though that may prove hard to break.

meowzer

NOPE...the only octopus in my kitchen goes in my seafood fra-diavalo LOL
That was soooo tiny when you got it

lmecher

You mean not like this??
This is him out again with the lights on, my daughter is feeding him so I can film him.

lmecher

Texasmetal-
Is Diver Tom Tomscaribbean.com? Thats where I got Ollie. 14 months is a respectable amount of time for an octopus, congratulations. It's sad that they have such short lives, you have to develope a relationship that is almost over as soon as it begins. I usuall feed in the same spot and I make him come to the stick, he has learned this. In this video, he was too fast, I helped my daughter get the stick in the tank and grabbed the camera, he was already on it. I did make contact with him the other day when he was out (tank cleaning contact dose not count) I put my hand in the tank and he reached out and grabbed a hold of me, gently at first then he started pulling really hard, he tried to pull me in LOL. Lasted for what seemed forever, I really enjoyed it. Man that sucker is strong. I am on a waiting email list for a couple mercs, going to try the pigmys. You have one now?

texasmetal

Yes, that's the guy.
I don't currently have an octopus, no. Moved, set up my tank, and then had to move again, and now I'm married and about to move again... so the octopus lover in me just has to suffer for the time being. I live vicariously through folks like yourself until then.
My first octopus was an O. mercatoris, and honestly, if every species were like them, I wouldn't bother with them. That's just me though. The 4 months I had mine I saw it maybe a collective total of a couple hours. Usually at 1 in the morning, and only for a few seconds to a few minutes. Fun to watch them tackle fiddler crabs as big as they are though. I still have Einy in a specimen jar of formaldyhide.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by Lmecher
http:///forum/post/3239719
That's creepy.
I have 2 O. mercatoris arriving on Tuesday.

That's cool. With any luck you'll get a male/female pair and get to raise another generation.
It trips people out when they come over and I hand them a tiny bottle and say "Check it out, an octopus in a bottle." I get the same reaction every time.
8-O

lmecher

I can hope for a male/female but it will be luck of the draw. I will be happy with what ever I get. I just hope they will survive the shipping/acclimation. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

H

hapalochlaena

About how long did it take you to acclimate him(her) to frozen shrimp? I'm going to be investing in a dwarf octopus and i was wondering how long i'll be having to buy crabs for him.

texasmetal

I never had any luck getting the one dwarf I kept to eat frozen foods. They are super-secretive, very shy, nocturnal creatures. Hard to work with an animal that doesn't want anything to do with you. Makes it hard to get them to accept non-living food. On the other hand, I've never had a non-dwarf species that refused raw shrimp.

rainbow grouper

Great thread my mum wanted to get a blue ringed octopus in our 140 but i IMMEDIATELY Warned her against it.
1. open top easy for him to escape
2. Deathly poisonous could kill anyone of us
3. would kill everything in the tank.
I must say though octopuses are amazing and i would love to get one I'll just live through you LOL. great cephalopod man.

wartooth1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow grouper http:///t/369451/octopus/60#post_3433557
Great thread my mum wanted to get a blue ringed octopus in our 140 but i IMMEDIATELY Warned her against it.
1. open top easy for him to escape
2. Deathly poisonous could kill anyone of us
3. would kill everything in the tank.
I must say though octopuses are amazing and i would love to get one I'll just live through you LOL. great cephalopod man.
Holy hell really?!?
The most scary thing I heard about them is that if you're poisoned by one, you will could appear dead but be fully conscious and aware of your surroundings but unable to move or say anything like "don't put me in that body bag! I'm not dead!"

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartooth1 http:///t/369451/octopus/60#post_3435518
Holy hell really?!?
The most scary thing I heard about them is that if you're poisoned by one, you will could appear dead but be fully conscious and aware of your surroundings but unable to move or say anything like "don't put me in that body bag! I'm not dead!"
OMG... that is really scary sounding. LOL... I def. don't want one!!