Odyssea 2006 Model MH Lights

W

winstew

Oh yea he ballast is def quiet. I'd say my CSS makes more noise

jacknjill

Ok, i set my lights up last night! OMG are these things bright! This is such an improvement from my home made 1 x 175 watt halide and 2 x vho setup! My tank looks 100 times better under these lights! I can now see everything so clearly in my tank! And ive never had moonlights before. Also, this ballast doesnt make any noise at all. This was a great buy. I will post pics later!

adamc1303

Has anyone tried the 717W 48" unit?
I want to purchase a set today but I don't know if the 717W unit gets as many positive reviews as the lower 542W unit.

X

xrobbx03

so far i have had my new lights running for 2 weeks on my 38g and i havent had any problems either. It runs very quiet and my corals love it. I see about a 1-2 degree difference in my tank depending on how hot it is outside the day. The only thing that i dont like is that my tank is not use to all this new bright light and my tank broke out in an algea bloom las week. Little by little it is going away so hopefully withing the next few weeks it will be gone. My cleanup crew is doing a great job of taking care of it.

X

xrobbx03

jacknjill...how big is ur take...have you had any algea blooms cause of the new lights?

matt819

Do you guys that switch from pc to these metal halides notice a jump in your electricity bill...? Thinkin about switchin from t5s....

jacknjill

Originally Posted by xrobbx03
jacknjill...how big is ur take...have you had any algea blooms cause of the new lights?
its a 55 gallon, so far, no algae blooms. But my corals have had really good extension lately

talonstorm

I am not sure if mine is a 2006 version or not, probably not as I bought it in December of 05. I have had nothing but trouble with this light. I have the smaller version with a 175 watt mh and 2 small pc actinics. The pc lighting is no problem, but the mh only worked sporadically. It blows fuses continuously. I even sent it all the way back to Cali (I live in NJ) and the seller from ---- sent me back another broken fixture. Now I can't get it to work at all. If I try the black ballast box gets VERY hot, but the light does not turn on. I am thinking of having an electrician look at it. Maybe I can replace the ballast and the horribly hard to find DE 175 watt bulb (possibly a modification so I can use a single ended bulb). I am so frustrated at this point. I had to put my back-up light on the tank (a 30 gallon cube) and it is only 72 watts of 50/50. :-( Maybe I should just chalk it up to a lesson learned and buy a whole new fixture.
Tina
A picture from when the light was working:

W

winstew

I had my first hot day up here in Upstate NY and I found one fault with the lights. The fans on the sides aren't nearly as powerful enough. I am goign to have to upgrade them to some computer fans and maybe add another one on top of the case.

roll tide

I have them on my 55(492watt). I bought them last month and I have one attinic that just comes on when it wants to. I emailed the Co. and got nothing in return. They seem to be good other than that though. Maybe just a bad conection :notsure: Bad buisness not to answer an email from a customer though.

X

xrobbx03

Originally Posted by Winstew
I had my first hot day up here in Upstate NY and I found one fault with the lights. The fans on the sides aren't nearly as powerful enough. I am goign to have to upgrade them to some computer fans and maybe add another one on top of the case.
I'm In MA and i had a hot day the other day too my tank got up to around 84 which is not too too bad. I put up a stand up fan blowing on the tank and it dropped the tank down to 80

chilwil84

hope u have better luck than i had with my 48" PC from them the fans went in six months and the ballast for half went in a year. it is now on my fuge

X

xrobbx03

I have heard alot of bad stories about the PCs but not so many about the halides.

drewsta

Mine are still doing good i will most likely buy some new actinic bulbs pretty soon as I have seen a small algea bloom. My tank runs 81.3-82.4 all day and night so not to bad I also have a fan in my sump area
But so far so good I will keep everyone posted...

X

xrobbx03

Originally Posted by Drewsta
Mine are still doing good i will most likely buy some new actinic bulbs pretty soon as I have seen a small algea bloom. My tank runs 81.3-82.4 all day and night so not to bad I also have a fan in my sump area
But so far so good I will keep everyone posted...
I was thinkin of replacing my actinics also. What bulbs are you going to get?

roll tide

Originally Posted by Roll Tide
I have them on my 55(492watt). I bought them last month and I have one attinic that just comes on when it wants to. I emailed the Co. and got nothing in return. They seem to be good other than that though. Maybe just a bad conection :notsure: Bad buisness not to answer an email from a customer though.
I recieved an email from the company and they are replacing my ballast. Sucks that it happened in the first place but I appriciate the fact they stand behind thier product.