Ok, explain it to me. I really want to know.

fishyfun2

I started a new thread so as not to hijack another. I really want to understand from people who vote or identify themselves as democrats, why do you do so? What is it about the party that you like and identify with? I was raised in a Democratic family. Registered as a Democrat and voted in the 2000 election as a 21 year old (voted for Gore, by the way). The thing is, as I got older, I learned some stuff about life that changed my mind. I am now registered as a Republican, although I don't like the way the party seems to be going.
So what is it? Please, let me understand!!!! I want to understand!!!!

This is for educational purposes only.

ruaround

its because they dont want to think for themselves... simpletons rarely do want to have to use their own brains to make decisions...

ohhh... IBTL!!!

reefereric

I am registered to vote, and have been since I was 18. I won't say what party, because I don't have the patience to argue with everyone on here. And yes, apparently it WILL come to that, as the last 6 months have shown.
I vote simply for what is going to impact me in the greatest possible way. Yes, I said ME. That's the point of democracy, to vote for yourself. That's why we each get ONE VOTE. I love lively political debate, but am so absolutely sick of the garbage everyone has been spouting off, that I refuse to take part.
Hope this helps for your "educational" experience. :)

fishyfun2

Originally Posted by ReeferEric
http:///forum/post/2971108
I am registered to vote, and have been since I was 18. I won't say what party, because I don't have the patience to argue with everyone on here. And yes, apparently it WILL come to that, as the last 6 months have shown.
I vote simply for what is going to impact me in the greatest possible way. Yes, I said ME. That's the point of democracy, to vote for yourself. That's why we each get ONE VOTE. I love lively political debate, but am so absolutely sick of the garbage everyone has been spouting off, that I refuse to take part.
Hope this helps for your "educational" experience. :)
Well, Reefer, it does. And I thank you for it. I have been enlightened.

jdl

Originally Posted by FishyFun2
http:///forum/post/2971072
I started a new thread so as not to hijack another. I really want to understand from people who vote or identify themselves as democrats, why do you do so? What is it about the party that you like and identify with? I was raised in a Democratic family. Registered as a Democrat and voted in the 2000 election as a 21 year old (voted for Gore, by the way). The thing is, as I got older, I learned some stuff about life that changed my mind. I am now registered as a Republican, although I don't like the way the party seems to be going.
So what is it? Please, let me understand!!!! I want to understand!!!!

This is for educational purposes only.

I was registered Republican until I was forced to switch registration to Democrat so i could vote in the Primary.
But to answer your question. The far right seemed slightly (not by much scarier then the far left) so i had to goto the dark side for this past election.

jackri

Unfortunately I think the Democrats are enabling people with handouts. I'm not talking about the disabled etc... but the people that won't do anything for themselves.
The gov't was never established to take care of your household but provide nat'l defense and your rights as a human.
Forgot who said it but basically if your 20 and vote republican you don't have a heart but if you're 40 and vote democrat you don't have a brain.
Enablers have big hearts but really aren't doing the right thing. Just my .02
Oh... personally? most all of them need to be fired on both sides :)

reefraff

I am a registered Democrat because I had to change from Independent to sign up for permanent absentee ballots. I figured I agree with the Democrats an about nothing so I might as well let them waste their time and money sending me campaign materials and calling me to volunteer for different campaign duties.
Coming from a family of democrats I can tell you for certain they are Democrats because their daddy was a Democrat. If you had asked my mom or her brother about abortion, gay rights, foreign policy and taxes you would have sworn they were Republicans. Both of my uncle's kids were registered democreats who hadn't voted for a Democrat since Carter for the older one and Clinton's first term for the younger. 2 of my 3 siblings are Republican or Libertarian/republican.
You can overcome the disadvantages you are born into.

rslinger

I was brought up in a red house and i now vote blue. I believe that the GOP is dying a slow death and all the right wing crazy people on here are a big part of that problem. Republicans will not believe that anyway but there way is right. They are mostly closed minded people opposed to any way other than they know. In the words of Olbermann "They are Republican Drones" I have a good laugh though reading what they think on here. I believe anybody who is middle class, female, or of minority race that believes they are republicans just hasn't looked into far enough to realize any different. Just my thoughts you have they right to your own also. I believe more people in America Still have the Presidents back than not. I really don't know anybody who voted republican this year including my grandparents. i just think on this website there is a large group of the right base. Thats alright though thats why America is a democracy. Everybody has the right to there own thoughts. Thats why we have elections. Could you imagine if all the people the America really vote 100 percent turn out. The Dem's would be way ahead. Seeing as most of the people who don't vote would probably vote Democratic.

culp

for me it's simple. i feel like Republicans do not care about the normal every day worker. the favor and love people who are CEO's or just make a bunch of money.

scsinet

Originally Posted by Rslinger
http:///forum/post/2971501
I was brought up in a red house and i now vote blue. I believe that the GOP is dying a slow death and all the right wing crazy people on here are a big part of that problem. Republicans will not believe that anyway but there way is right. They are mostly closed minded people opposed to any way other than they know. In the words of Olbermann "They are Republican Drones" I have a good laugh though reading what they think on here. I believe anybody who is middle class, female, or of minority race that believes they are republicans just hasn't looked into far enough to realize any different. Just my thoughts you have they right to your own also. I believe more people in America Still have the Presidents back than not. I really don't know anybody who voted republican this year including my grandparents. i just think on this website there is a large group of the right base. Thats alright though thats why America is a democracy. Everybody has the right to there own thoughts. Thats why we have elections. Could you imagine if all the people the America really vote 100 percent turn out. The Dem's would be way ahead. Seeing as most of the people who don't vote would probably vote Democratic.

It's no surprise to me that you find yourself among democrat company. I used to live in Milwaukee and just about everyone in WI seems to be democrat.
As a point of clarification, one of the things you listed as being negative of the republicans - the "closed mindedness" - is something that many conservatives would agree, but as a defining virtue of their beliefs.
By the very word... conservative ...suggests sticking to the old, established ways of doing things and rejecting ideas that take us further away from those established principles.
On the other hand, democrats, or as they are also known, progressives, are clearly interested in changing those established ways. I'm not trying to argue that it's good or bad.
To me, the compelling argument is whether or not those changes represent a positive or negative direction. But really, while you were trying to speak of the negative aspects of republicans, you really just defined them more than anything else. I think most conservatives would agree that what you said describes them at least in part - but most of them would not be ashamed of that.
I grew up forming my own thoughts and feelings. Politics were not discussed in my home, my parents kept that to themselves. I felt I identified with democrats until I started to get out own my own in the "real world," after which I quickly swung into the other direction, and now probably more closely identify with far right wing libertarianism than anything else. So, I'd say that I am an example of the opposite. I'm not a republican who "looked into it further" and became a democrat; just the opposite.
By the way, the United States is not a democracy.

scsinet

Originally Posted by Culp
http:///forum/post/2971507
for me it's simple. i feel like Republicans do not care about the normal every day worker. the favor and love people who are CEO's or just make a bunch of money.

Tell me, why do you think we conservatives love the CEOs?
What to you constitutes caring for the normal everyday worker?
I don't make a bunch of money. I am not rich, I live in a small home, my wife and I drive Toyotas. Every few years we save enough to take a short vacation. Why would someone like me be a conservative?

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by Culp
http:///forum/post/2971507
Seriously? That's all you have?

Is it not the "American Dream" to work hard and make lots of money? What's your "American Dream"?

flower

I don't vote, but I don't understand.
Even if you are "registered" as democrate, can't you vote anything you want when the time comes?
its a secret ballot right?

rslinger

I know here in Wisconsin you can vote however you want you can choose staright Dem or Reb. or you can vote for each issue on its own for who ever you want. you should look into the whole voting thing it is nice to feel like you have a vote.

E

eric b 125

Originally Posted by ruaround
http:///forum/post/2971557
to have the gubment pay em to do nuttin...
this was tasteless
i would have no problem discussing why i am a democrat if i thought that it could be civil... the fact that it cant be civil, and can contain racist undertones is disgusting. you can play this off however you want dude, but this comment was disgraceful. i absolutely refuse to so much as check this thread again, or any like it, knowing that this is what they become.