Pitbulls... Let's have the debate.

snakeblitz33

My mother in law has a pit bull named lucy. Raised her from a pup. My daughter, Emma, has grown up around her. That pit is protective of her! Tries to share her treats with Emma like she was her pup. She's also protective of Emma, she doesn't let strangers around her and make sure she is safe. My daughter has stuck her hand in Lucy's mouth a few times and nothing has ever happened. I'm pretty comfortable saying that it's more the way a dog is raised then any kind of "genetic predisposition." But, that's just me.
I like rottweilers, personally. Well behaved dogs. Won't take any crap from strangers and won't put up with loud and raised voices. Everyone seems to have to keep their cool around them. Great for families that tend to yell at each other a lot. LOL. Beautiful dogs too.

snakeblitz33

Are you looking for a dog breed? Rottweilers are great, but if your looking for a small farm dog, English Shepherds are a pretty good breed.
What are you looking for in a dog, anyways? List out your priorities, first to last, that you want in a dog. Maybe we could all give our input on what dog would fit your needs and priorities.

crimzy

Not for my household. People who love pits defend them fiercely and so there are clearly great dogs out there. For me personally, I find the numbers so overwhelming. Whether that's the aggressive nature of pits or due to bad people raising pits, there's no way to know for sure... It's all just theories. I've seen good ones and seemingly aggressive ones. Just don't trust the breed as a whole.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/394151/pitbulls-lets-have-the-debate/60#post_3508237
Not for my household. People who love pits defend them fiercely and so there are clearly great dogs out there. For me personally, I find the numbers so overwhelming. Whether that's the aggressive nature of pits or due to bad people raising pits, there's no way to know for sure... It's all just theories. I've seen good ones and seemingly aggressive ones. Just don't trust the breed as a whole.
I can respect that. And not that my opinion matters but it's probably the right choice for you guys at this point in time to not get one. Even my uncles dog who seemingly was an angel had his draw backs in his own regards. I, myself can appreciate a dog with spirit. I love em that way.
Perhaps it's just aggressive owners seeking aggressive dogs, we all want our own companions.

snakeblitz33

Pound for pound, I think chihuahuas are perhaps some of the absolute most fierce and protective dog breeds you can get.
Every single dog breed has blood on it's hands. Bigger dogs = bigger jaws. Chihuahuas hate babies, infants, toddlers and kids in general - and I am more afraid of my parents long hair chihuahua biting my daughter than I am of my mother in law's pit bull. Honestly.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/394151/pitbulls-lets-have-the-debate/60#post_3508243
Pound for pound, I think chihuahuas are perhaps some of the absolute most fierce and protective dog breeds you can get.
Every single dog breed has blood on it's hands. Bigger dogs = bigger jaws. Chihuahuas hate babies, infants, toddlers and kids in general - and I am more afraid of my parents long hair chihuahua biting my daughter than I am of my mother in law's pit bull. Honestly.
Poms, Chihuahuas, Pekingese...they are very protective but too small to make a difference, and they don't like kids in general. Big dogs can do serious damage...even in play. Tamerah knocks the little ones over and hurts them because she is like a bulldozer...but it's all play. Regardless, I watch her very close and make sure she is behaving around the grandkids. IMO... All dogs while around little children need to be supervised, it isn't worth the risk to be too relaxed on that ... and sometimes it's the children hurting the dog so the supervision goes both ways.
I agree with you Snake...it's does matter how a dog is raised...but any dog if a child hurts it, can become a biter to defend themselves. Even a little dog, if it gets an eye can do damage, and kids always seem to put their little faces right in a dogs face. I love my dogs, and I love my grandchildren, I don't want either hurt.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/394151/pitbulls-lets-have-the-debate/60#post_3508237
Same way I would have looked at it.

elrodg

Quote: Originally Posted by crimzy Not for my household. People who love pits defend them fiercely and so there are clearly great dogs out there. For me personally, I find the numbers so overwhelming. Whether that's the aggressive nature of pits or due to bad people raising pits, there's no way to know for sure... It's all just theories. I've seen good ones and seemingly aggressive ones. Just don't trust the breed as a whole.
Actually there is a way to tell. It has very little to do with good or bad people. And more to do with what you teach your dog as a pup. I have seen many well meaning owners play with their dogs in the wrong way and installing bad or biting habits. It all depends on what age and how training is applied. If I were to play tug of war with a simple rope with a bully, it introduces aggression in them. And any type of aggression in a bully is a bad thing. In the same way, if I introduce a ball or a kong which provides an outlet for aggression (I.e chewing or fetching). you are counter acting that inherent aggression that this breed has in them from wean. Not to mention the tightest jaw lock of any dog breed hands down. I mean there is a reason they are called bullies. There original use was as a bull wrangler. (Not cow....big effing bull!) short ears and a big wide snout to grab hold of a bulls nose and hold on for the ride. (Look it up its true) so saying that a pit or other bully is not an aggressive breed is a lie. But if you don't introduce that as a pup it is less likely to snap in the long run.

reefraff

Some years back a buddy had a wolf hybrid. He raised it like a wolf doing things like a pack would do. He wanted the wolf to see his family as a pack. So lil ol "non wolf expert" me asked if that wasn't a bad idea. He asks why and I say because as a member of the pack wont he at some point challenge for leader? Oh, no. That would never happen. Fast forward about 4 years, his wife went into the pen to fill up his water and the hybrid cornered her against the garage and kept her there for about 20 minutes or so when he got home and called him off.
When I first moved to AZ I stayed in a garage room he had. I moved there the day his hybrid got paroled from the animal control. His 3 year old son had been trying to keep it in the house and grabbed the fur under the throat and got "nipped". Left about a 6" gash in his head. That was when the thing was about 6 months old. Coming back the thing was standing where he was between me and my friend in his scout. I was scratching him (the wolf, not my buddy) on the head and worked my way down around the neck. I got near his throat and he growled at me. Far enough, don't scratch the throat. But will a 3 (and 5) year old understand that?
The hybrid was my buddy. I used to grab a big ol beer and hang out on top of his dog house with him and watch the lightning storms during monsoons. He acted differently toward me than my friend. Another very cool animal I wouldn't want the responsibility for. He went about 150 pounds

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrodg http:///t/394151/pitbulls-lets-have-the-debate/60#post_3508262
Actually there is a way to tell. It has very little to do with good or bad people. And more to do with what you teach your dog as a pup. I have seen many well meaning owners play with their dogs in the wrong way and installing bad or biting habits. It all depends on what age and how training is applied. If I were to play tug of war with a simple rope with a bully, it introduces aggression in them. And any type of aggression in a bully is a bad thing. In the same way, if I introduce a ball or a kong which provides an outlet for aggression (I.e chewing or fetching). you are counter acting that inherent aggression that this breed has in them from wean. Not to mention the tightest jaw lock of any dog breed hands down. I mean there is a reason they are called bullies. There original use was as a bull wrangler. (Not cow....big effing bull!) short ears and a big wide snout to grab hold of a bulls nose and hold on for the ride. (Look it up its true) so saying that a pit or other bully is not an aggressive breed is a lie. But if you don't introduce that as a pup it is less likely to snap in the long run.
Good points on playing tug-of-war with an alpha because it enhances aggression, however a timid shy dog needs the game to learn to feel confident. Each dog has to be assessed on personality, to determine the best way to train the pup to be the best dogie he/she can be. (I learned that in puppy class) The problem is that many people have no idea how to do that. Lots of people think rubbing puppy's nose in his stool will teach it a lesson to not mess on the floor. So the puppy owners need some training too, obedience school is not just for the puppy...the classes also help educate the new fur-baby parent as well.
I thought the pit-bull was raised and bred for the dog fighting pit, and so named because of it. I never heard about the bull...I mean hanging onto a bulls nose would do so much damage to the animal it makes no sense to me, people use bulls to breed their cows and keep them with milk or for meat. I am not disagreeing with you at all, just running it around in my head..LOL..I'm going to look it up too, I love trivia, and that's a good one.

flower

I did a little reading...the bulldog was the animal used for bringing down a bull for slaughter...A really cool piece of trivia. (that punched in face look is then kind of comical to think about) The original bulldog was leaner then the bulldog of today, the pit part is up for grabs, some say it is to catch rats in a pit and the most rat kills won the game. Some say they were bred for the fighting pit, such as what I heard.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/394151/pitbulls-lets-have-the-debate/60#post_3508284
I did a little reading...the bulldog was the animal used for bringing down a bull for slaughter...A really cool piece of trivia. (that punched in face look is then kind of comical to think about) The original bulldog was leaner then the bulldog of today, the pit part is up for grabs, some say it is to catch rats in a pit and the most rat kills won the game. Some say they were bred for the fighting pit, such as what I heard.
There are several breeds that get lumped into the pit category. Years ago my #2 brother had a classic looking pit bull. Years later #1 brother had a staffshire terrier mix and he was the badass.

acrylic51

I'm a big dog lover.....I was always raised around dogs and believe it's how a dog is raised.....Lots of love, but a firm hand if needed.....I was mauled by the family Saint Bernard when I was 11-12yrs old that required 47 stitches.....It never deterred me 1 bit about being around dogs....My parents knew the dog was just down right evil when they bought him.
I was heart broken when my 10yr old Rotti Lexi passed away.....She was 200lbs of explosive power, but so loving......That dog you could let loose and all the neighbor kids would ride her, wrestle her, but if you wanted her to leave you alone you would just tell her to go and point to the house and she was gone.....My neighbors thought I was and still am a bit odd, and the old (70yr) guy across the street asked me why I never locked the house and would leave the garage door open......Again my neighbor has lived across the street from me for 11yrs so he knew my dog, and I said why would I worry about anything.....I have Lexi inside...He laughed and said really....You expect her to do anything......I had my friend Dallas walk in the house and just walk around.....In a few minutes she had my buddy pinned to the wall ready to rip his balls completely from him......Mind you; my friend Dallas visited at least 4-5 times a week, ride to work together, and do the fish hobby, so she knows him very well, but she also knew that no one was in the house and strangers aren't allowed.......Needless my neighbor just shook his head and said I guess someone will be in for a rude awakening.....My friend Dallas on the other hand would never go into the house again alone.....
Since Lexi is gone, my wife and daughters got 3 Chihuahuas, and the are the meanest dogs every......My parents have Chihuahuas and Pugs, and the little dogs are the worst.....These 3 little terrors would wreak havoc on you....I fear them more than any big dog.....Probably cause I can't man handle them as my big dogs....With that said my youngest sister is single and works from home, and has 5 labs and they are the sweetest dogs.....A PITA because they are babies, but my older sister has a Pit, and that honestly is the sweetest dog ever.....She believes she is a lap dog, and my sister has an 8 month old, and I honestly believe she thinks the baby is hers.....So protective of the little one, and heaven forbid the baby cries.....The dog will pace and whine till someone does something, but she won't leave that little ones side.....I have to tell my sister to put the dog out when I visit, because I hate holding a dog the whole time I'm there....I do enjoy taking the dog to get ice cream though and seeing the looks on peoples face as she eats a banana split......

darthtang aw

Owning any dog is similar to owning a gun. The owner has to take precautions to protect the public and so on. Small dogs are like owning a bb gun...while dangerous in the right circumstance, they are over all essentially harmless. Large dogs are similar to hand guns and various rifles. Pits, Dobermans, rottwielers, german Shepards and a few other breeds are the dog equivalent to assault rifles. In the wrong hands very dangerous. In the right hands..no problem.
I have owned two "pit" bulls. One we got as a puppy. another we rescued that had been involved with attacking and harming another dog while running loose. Neither dog under our care ever bit, us, my children, the neighbors, or other animals. You want a domesticated animal....YOU have to take and have the time to domesticate it.