Posidens 29 Cube

posiden

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3156724
I'm glad it's working for you

I have had some things come loose, but more have stayed put.

Well it survived all the moving about yesterday, so I think it is there for good.LOL

nissan577

whats going on? its so much reading!
peppermint shrimp can and will help. but you gotta have luck other then that theres lemon juice that can help.

posiden

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3156764
whats going on? its so much reading!
peppermint shrimp can and will help. but you gotta have luck other then that theres lemon juice that can help.

OH,
I don't have luck. Would you care to elaberate some on this?

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3156801
what about aptasia x or idk man this is hard.
I asked about that earlier...that is if you were talking to me....LOL
how about it???? Does it work when Lemon juice doesn't???

posiden

http:///forum/post/3156801
what about aptasia x or idk man this is hard.
I have used almost half a bottle now. Maybe I am not being sly enough to "get" them.

Originally Posted by meowzer

http:///forum/post/3156803
I asked about that earlier...that is if you were talking to me....LOL
how about it???? Does it work when Lemon juice doesn't???
IDK, I have not used lemon juice.........yet.

spanko

Thank you for posting your pictures and outlining you problems and possible plans of attack here. I am sure as we all follow along we will learn some things and there will be people that will offer up some possible solutions.
Is the ATS you talk about a turf scrubber? If so it does not seem to be doing the advertised fix that Santa Monica puts out there. Do you attribute this to anything, wrong application on your part, wrong maintenance, just a bunch of BS and it doesn't really work, etc. etc.?
No matter what you IMO have a real nutrient problem, as noted by the amount of algae growing in the display. Can we attribute this to the feeding of starfish to the harlequin? IDK you are gonna have to give us some info on the feeding of the tank and the harlequin.
On the Aiptasia, I have not had to battle them ever so my input will only be from reading others battles. Of all the successes seems to me that the Aiptasia X, kalwasser paste, Copper banded Butterfly, and peppermint shrimp are the most effective controls - eradicators. Make sure on the pepps that you are purchasing the Lysmata wurdemanni Caribbean variety.
What are your nitrate readings here?
The first thing I would suggest on this tank would be some water changes, but just not the conventional. With a larger diameter pc. of tubing and a glass scraper I would start flow with the hose while simultaneously scraping the back glass and vacuuming the algae out. If you think about what the turf scrubber is supposed to do your getting this algae out of the display is actually removing nutrient. I would also work with a scraper or magnet cleaner on the rest of the glass - sides and front while doing another water change. These changes could be 20%, 5 gals approx. on your tank, every three days or so. But don't just take water out and replace it, use the time to really clean off the glass.
While doing these changes and cleanings also make sure you have some type of pads or floss in the back, maybe a new stock filter pad, to remove some of the floating particles that will be in the water but not removed during the water changes. If you have an old stock filter pad you can take the used pad off of the little chambers where there is also carbon under the pads. Then with just the frame left get some Polyester fiber fill from the fabric stores and put some in each chamber. This stuff is inexpensive and you can and should change it daily until you get you nutrient levels under control.

posiden

Wow, thank you spanko.
Well not sure if folks want the long version or the short. We will keep it simple for now.

Yes, I am running the ATS=Algae turff scrubber. I have mixed feelings on wether or not it is doing its job.IDK. At first glance the first responce would be no. There is some tank history, I am just not sure people will want to read it. The ATS is interesting. Santa Monica has sure changed his tune from when he first started pushing them. The "old" builds are now concidered to be weak and bad. So, I am sure that mine is not good enough by now. I do clean it every week just like I am supposed to. I have also redone it just recently to bring it closer to the "new" ideas of what they should be. I don't think they are the magic bullet if you will. I do believe the Harlequins are a good part of my issue. They like cave like areas and I just can't get to thier choice of home to get any remains out of the tank. I get what I can. I have noticed that they don't leave really any of a sand sifter star behind like they do with a CC star. Maybe the sand sifters are more tender.

I got the peps today. I had to go to the not so local store to get them. I had no idea it was thier aniversary sale going on this weekend. So, I was there a while. I have never seen so many people at a fish sotre.
They had all of us take a number, that's how bad it was. Since I had the time, I looked the tank over hard. At first I was pissed cause all I saw was the fake peps in there. Then I saw a real one, only one. When my number came up I told the guy hey, this is gonna suck but. I don't just want any one of those. Big long story kinda short, I got two out of about 30-40 shrimp. It would be nice if Tizzo could post the pics of the two for others to see the difference.
If you look in the pic of my zoas you will see the scratch marks on the back wall where I have scrapped and siphoned it off during a water change. I guess I should do it more often. I let time go by cause of the scrubber, then remove larger clumps of it. I found it also comes off a bit eaiser when it grows longer. The base doesn't get the light required so it starts to die and it just comes off.
I am currently useing the poly fill matting for quilts from the fabric store. It is about an inch thick. I just cut it up in the size pieces I need. I don't change them daily though.
If I have left anything out please let me know. I will answer any questions. I will consider any advice anyone has for me.

I will put up pics of the shrimp later, they are aclimating right now.

posiden

Oh, food. I feed the star fish every few weeks and everybody else gets brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, and cyclopeez.
I feed about half a cube every other day to the fish, and on the other days I feed a whole cube to the fish and the corals.
I feed my favites, the sun coral, Candy cane, The LTA, and the Chalice.

johnr2604

Its amazing what neglect can do to a tank. I've been guilty of it also. Hope you get it cleaned up. Spanko gave you some good advise.

posiden

Originally Posted by johnr2604
http:///forum/post/3157137
Its amazing what neglect can do to a tank. I've been guilty of it also. Hope you get it cleaned up. Spanko gave you some good advise.

Stay tuned, cause I plan on getting it turned around and solid.

spanko

Sounds like you put a lot of faith in the ATS and perhaps it has not performed as expected, whether you expected too much or the process cannot live up to it's advertised level. So with the Harlequin coupled with the nutrient that is being left in the system by the ATS to me it is time to take a good long look at what you want to achieve with your tank. Do you want a system that is free of algae, supports life in such coral that require almost pristine water. Or do you want to develop a system that while not dirty dose have some algae, can support the soft coral that do require some level of nutrient in the water to be absorbed by the coral.
I am personally running a system that has no discernible nitrate and phosphate. I love the clarity of the water, the total absence of algae and the brightness of the coral. I feed heavily, skim heavily, and change out the filter floss daily. Change the Chemipure Elite and Purigen every 6 months. Change my 150 watt HQI bulb every six months. Dose vodka and amino acids daily. Dose Prodibio nano system weekly. Use Nutrisea natural seawater for water changes and distilled water for top offs through an ATO.
I don't think my tank looks natural due to the absence of any algae but it the look I am going forI am planning on trying some of the calciferous alge like Halemida etc. in the future to get some of the more natural look in there.
To be blunt though, your tank just has the look of neglect to it with the growth of the algae and the margins where the sand meet the water along the glass being dirty.
Guess we need to see where it is you want to go with your pc. of the reef so that there can be some interaction amoungst reefers here.

posiden

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3157162
Sounds like you put a lot of faith in the ATS and perhaps it has not performed as expected, whether you expected too much or the process cannot live up to it's advertised level. So with the Harlequin coupled with the nutrient that is being left in the system by the ATS to me it is time to take a good long look at what you want to achieve with your tank. Do you want a system that is free of algae, supports life in such coral that require almost pristine water. Or do you want to develop a system that while not dirty dose have some algae, can support the soft coral that do require some level of nutrient in the water to be absorbed by the coral.
I am personally running a system that has no discernible nitrate and phosphate. I love the clarity of the water, the total absence of algae and the brightness of the coral. I feed heavily, skim heavily, and change out the filter floss daily. Change the Chemipure Elite and Purigen every 6 months. Change my 150 watt HQI bulb every six months. Dose vodka and amino acids daily. Dose Prodibio nano system weekly. Use Nutrisea natural seawater for water changes and distilled water for top offs through an ATO.
I don't think my tank looks natural due to the absence of any algae but it the look I am going forI am planning on trying some of the calciferous alge like Halemida etc. in the future to get some of the more natural look in there.
To be blunt though, your tank just has the look of neglect to it with the growth of the algae and the margins where the sand meet the water along the glass being dirty.
Guess we need to see where it is you want to go with your pc. of the reef so that there can be some interaction amoungst reefers here.
Oh I agree with the neglect, what everyone is seeing is a tank that was just getting started and then got put on the backburner for a 8 month long remodel.
What look do I want, hard to say. I am not sure how to describe it. I like not running a skimmer. The carbon source dosing......IDK. I would need to learn a lot about it before going that way. I don't want to be a slave to the tank. I am not sure if that is the case with carbon dosing. I just want a nice tank. I am not sure if I want a full lagoon type look. A piece or two of macro in the display might be nice. I don't want it to start everywhere, where I am chasing down starts of it where I don't want it. As far as corals go, I will only add maybe 1 or 2 more. I think I am done with that for this tank. I want them to grow out to a good size. I may add one more choice piece of LR to my tank to help with the depth instead of the slopped look it has now.
Faith in the ATS, yea maybe. I didn't really expect it to do anything for me. I was very interested in it. I couldn't believe that it was this great thing. I went to my local libary and checked out Dynamic Aquaria. I got the first and the third edition of it. It seamed like it could work. So I did what anyone should do IMO,(when interested in something) research it and try it out. That is pretty much where I am at with it. I have thought about removing it, but I never have. I wanted to give it time. Remember, "nothing good ever happens fast". I have also thought about re-checking it out or another book on it (ATS)for a refresher and maybe see if I am doing something wrong or could do to make it better.
Right now I want to clean it up. When that is done, I will look at the options. Maybe I am looking at that wrong??