Pot Bellied Seahorses

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/180#post_3471089
And they're about 3/4 to 1 1/4 inch long on average.

Wow...Thats huge. How can an Erectus snick that up without choking? That look way too large for the Kuda too. I can see after the pots grow to adulthood how it would be a better food...but TQ said she feeds it to her Erectus.

novahobbies

So do I. You would be amazed how big a prey item your horses can eat. I've personally seen my H. reidis eat grass shrimp that were two inches long in a single snick. (Shrimp bigger than that got the "tear it apart, eat the still-twitching bits" routine.)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/180#post_3471098
So do I. You would be amazed how big a prey item your horses can eat. I've personally seen my H. reidis eat grass shrimp that were two inches long in a single snick. (Shrimp bigger than that got the "tear it apart, eat the still-twitching bits" routine.)

EEEWWW still-twitching... LOL...I'm not sure I want to see anything like that. I will have to get some PE and see what they do. I do have a big pappermint shrimp in the Kuda tank...I hope the horses don't figure out he is food they can rip apart and eat.

novahobbies

Yeah, you're lucky there, or else that's a big bugger of a pep. I was NEVER able to keep a peppermint shrimp in with the H. reidis...they always seemed to disappear after lights-out. My H. erectus might be more lenient, since as far as I know three of the four horses here have never seen a live large shrimp. Not sure how the WC girl would do...she might remember her old instincts.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/180#post_3471130
Yeah, you're lucky there, or else that's a big bugger of a pep. I was NEVER able to keep a peppermint shrimp in with the H. reidis...they always seemed to disappear after lights-out. My H. erectus might be more lenient, since as far as I know three of the four horses here have never seen a live large shrimp. Not sure how the WC girl would do...she might remember her old instincts.
LOL...I thought I had one but it looks like I have two still, I started with 5, and found two behind the tank dead...why they crawled out I don't know. They stay in the back rocks and the horses like to hang out in the caulerpa or on the pavalon. One shrimp used to come close to the pavalon while the horses were being fed but he stopped doing that and will come out but stay on the rocks now...maybe he knew better than get too close, he/she is huge, the size of grown cleaner shrimp. I see four little yellow balls filling the abdoman of the shrimp..is that the insides of a shrimp, or eggs?
I did spot one of the pipefish today, I was starting to think they were gone....then I spotted that little flag moving and there he was.

flower

Pictures of the big guy....finally
This is the tank view from my easy chair, and the point where I shot my pictures with the zoom on

LOL..Fred likes to look at himself...

Allot

I tried to get the best picture I could

I wonder if he knows it's himself, or thinks it's another seahorse he is looking at.

Fred ......or should I say Fred Flintstone?...

OOO...big teeth, but is he afraid?

He really wants to check this thing out.

Maybe he wan'ts to be a dentist.

LOL...another rock

Finally a pose...or maybe a bow after the show

flower

Thanks, I finally got pictures of that big guy. He stayed in the rocks so much, and sometimes I couldn't find him at all. One day I feared he was dead. Now after seeing him go up into that skull...I understand how he manages to disappear into the rocks the way he does. This was the first time he stayed out to the front of the tank for more than a moment. He put on quite a show.

flower

I need some help
I'm thinking about adding some spotted (pajama) cardinal fish as tank mates (threat level 1 according to the chart). I have a 90g tank and 4 pot belly seahorses in the tank.....how many cardinals can I add? I don't want to stress the horses but it looks pretty empty in the tank....my info says these guys school.

S

saxman

If you're keeping your pots at 67*F, it's too cool for the cardinals. Also, IME, PJ cards will generally just find an out of the way spot and hang out there, so your tank will still look empty. A 90 gal is too small for any shoaling fish to do so...they generally just kinda wander around since there's not enuff room, and generally not enuff fish to form a school.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/180#post_3471978
If you're keeping your pots at 67*F, it's too cool for the cardinals. Also, IME, PJ cards will generally just find an out of the way spot and hang out there, so your tank will still look empty. A 90 gal is too small for any shoaling fish to do so...they generally just kinda wander around since there's not enuff room, and generally not enuff fish to form a school.
BTLDreef told me any fish that I acclimated real slow could live with the horses at that temp.... I took her word for it. Any idea what I could add to liven up the tank a bit? LOL...besides colored lights.

S

saxman

You can give them a try, and they may survive, but many tropical species slow way down in cooler setups, and PJ's aren't really out and about fish, IME (at least mine never were). Since we keep a few temperate setups, I can tell you the water is pretty chilly compared to a tank running in the mid-70's when you put your hand in them. That being said, SH tanx really aren't "lively" setups...you have to like the SH for what they are. SH will often go off their feed in the presence of fast-swimming tankmates.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/180#post_3471984
You can give them a try, and they may survive, but many tropical species slow way down in cooler setups, and PJ's aren't really out and about fish, IME (at least mine never were). Since we keep a few temperate setups, I can tell you the water is pretty chilly compared to a tank running in the mid-70's when you put your hand in them. That being said, SH tanx really aren't "lively" setups...you have to like the SH for what they are. SH will often go off their feed in the presence of fast-swimming tankmates.
Thanks,
I don't want them disturbed. Nor do I want to stress fish not able to handle the cold. I am a little concerned with the wasted food. Pots forage more than the other horses, but I know food is rotting everywhere. I have the little black nassarius snails, but I'm not sure that's enough.

al&burke

Greg I thought you may have suggested a black foot.
LOL
Flower, your horses look great and so does the tank.

teresaq

why not just go with a pair of catilina gobies since they thrive in colder water.
they get up to 2 inches so they arent that small