Project you can't have...

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by nwdyr
http:///forum/post/2847215
I never do anything to the back of the tank , just let the algae grow wild
it usually looks OK , I am also going to start gluing stuff to the back wall like GSP or anything that will grow and make it look alive. i stole that idea from someone here...don't remember who , but i am sure who ever it was they will chime in

yeah that's not a bad idea... I think if one blended in the rock properly you could have a seamless wall of zoas, palys, gsp, and rics from the wall down to the floor of the tank.. that'd be sick... then just have the powerheads japanese style below the rock work blowing out the sides and sucking in through the rockwork.

rotarymagic

I ran to home depot... got most of my plumbing supplies, did a mock up and realized that I probably need a few 45 degree couplings for the 1inch pvc..
I'm so excited for tomorrow LOL...
I may even have rock and sand in on sunday provided that all the pvc cement dries and nothing leaks...

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by patrick8929
http:///forum/post/2847971
no you dont need any thing else just set it up put some fish and corals in it tonight and take some pics!

I think the 72hour later pics would be better.. lol... the huge crash and burn.
Seriously though, I'm gonna "straight up wreck it" when I get this thing going LOL....

mboswell1982

nice work man, i like the 20 longs, i got the stuff today, the tank got shattered this morning, lady's husband dropped it, ugh lol, but i got a sump, i think its a hob sump/fuge, and a filter lol, i posted pics in my thread :p

nwdyr

That planted 20 is cool
I am going to set up my 24gal nano as a freshwater planted tank , thinking maybe a few fire mouths

rotarymagic

That 20long planted is a dart frog tank. The pic was taken when the lights first came on and they weren't out and about yet.
Here's what I got done today:
Tank drilled.
Got the light/ballast/bulb. It's a PFO 150watt pendant with icecap ballast&phoenix 14,000k bulb.
plumbing done to a degree since I can't do certain stuff till I get the sump situation figured out for placement of lights, return pump, and outflow for turf scrubber lol.
Got me a 5inch cocoworm for.... $30 LOL

I still need the following:

To trade my UV sterilizer for a mag 5 and aqua medic peristatic dosing pump.
Get something for a 12x12x12/8/10/whatever sump preferrably glass
Spraypaint backwall with krylon black plastic paint.
pick up 2 5.5 or 8inch clamp lamps for CFL spiral bulbs(one ~40w 6500k for the scrubber and one 10,000l/actinic coralife 20watt).

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by nwdyr
http:///forum/post/2848265
That planted 20 is cool
I am going to set up my 24gal nano as a freshwater planted tank , thinking maybe a few fire mouths

If I did a FW planted, I'd do some cardinal tetras, GLO danios, and neon tetras. That's just me though lol.. I like small schooling fish, glo fish, and fw puffers.

nwdyr

WOW you got allot done
How bout some pic's , thanks for the ideas. I had a 125 planted tank and I had 100 cardinal's. It looked great , but this tank is so small i don't think schooling fish would look good

rotarymagic

I'll try to get pics up tomorrow, I drove 400miles today from Austin to San Antonio back to Austin, all around Austin, then to george town (about 40miles north of where I live) and then back, I'm tired.. good night lol...

rotarymagic

Back is spray painted, picked up 2 8inch dome clamp lamps&6500k 26w CFL..
Still need a mag5 pump, dosing pump, sump, and 20w 50/50 bulb.
no pics yet.
I guess I'm going to let the paint sit for 24hours before hooking up the bulkheads or should I wait longer?
It was the krylon fusion black for plastic..

rotarymagic

So far I have spent:
$125 tank and stand
$100 light/bulb/ballast
$50 pvc plumbing+pvc cutter
$80 for glass-holes overflow&return kit
$35 for electrical tape (just in case), masking tape(painting), krylon black, 26watt CFL, 2 8inch clamp lamps
$40 (2x$20) for getting my tank drilled
$75 for yellow assessor basslet (current chilling in my 20long)
$30 for coco worm (current chilling in my 20long)
Total=$535 LOL..and counting
I have tons of "cooking" liverock and sand sitting around in rubbermaids with powerheadsbut I'm assume about 20-30lbs of sand total and about 20lbs of live rock total..

rotarymagic

Ughh.. All right I'll get some up this evening.. I gotta make sure my mossy frogs are packed and in the mail though, this guy HAS to get them tomorrow morning lol.
After my painting experiment... it kinda ran alittle.. but from the inside of the tank you can't tell at all.. it looks sleek, blends in the locline, return, and overflow. Its great...
I think I'm gonna run to the container store and figure out something for a sump LOL. I'm also waiting on this guy to get back to me about a mag5.

rebelprettyboy

haha I still need a mag 7 for my 40 breeder ive been settin up for like 6 months now lol...
How big is the stand? Wat u gonna use for the sump?

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/2849978
haha I still need a mag 7 for my 40 breeder ive been settin up for like 6 months now lol...
How big is the stand? Wat u gonna use for the sump?
dude the stand sucks... I can fit something with like a 12x12 footprint in there so I gotta do some slick finding.. hence why I'm going to the container store.. Just don't be mad when I have to use some fruity plastic bin LOL..

rebelprettyboy

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2849980
dude the stand sucks... I can fit something with like a 12x12 footprint in there so I gotta do some slick finding.. hence why I'm going to the container store.. Just don't be mad when I have to use some fruity plastic bin LOL..
lol thats a small area haha...
aint nuttin wrong with a bin for a sump.... hell no one sees it. As long as it helps with the filteration who gives a fu#&?

rotarymagic

yeah.. I don't even think I'm gonna paint the pvc behind the tank black... I mean hell if someone is like "man that pvc looks ugly." "since when is the last time you saw pretty pvc?" LOL...
I got an 8inch clamp dome light with a 26w 6500k CFL spiral... sheeit that thing is BRIGHT after it gets warmed up...gonna work nicely on my turf scrubber!
I may end up ditchin in the sponge idea if I can't get a decent sump...