pros and cons of coral beauty and flame angel?

flower

I have personally given up on all wrasses, no matter how pretty. No firefish or filefish either. Jumpers...need I say more, these fish have a death wish.

mersam935

Ya the biocube is perfect! I think I might go with the carpentars fairy wrasse, there gorgeous but anyone have any other ideas?????? Maybe something yellow? Oh and can you tell me why you don't recommend the midas blenny? Is it because its fanged? its just they are SO gorgeous!

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersam935 http:///t/390102/pros-and-cons-of-coral-beauty-and-flame-angel/80#post_3453950
Ya the biocube is perfect! I think I might go with the carpentars fairy wrasse, there gorgeous but anyone have any other ideas?????? Maybe something yellow? Oh and can you tell me why you don't recommend the midas blenny? Is it because its fanged? its just they are SO gorgeous!
I had a carpenter's for a long time in an open top (took the risk) and it did great until I put my Xmas tree up next to the tank one year. I guess the wrasse wanted to be part of the ornaments and we found him hanging in it one day.

Yes, the midas, being a fanged blenny, with the rest of your stock list is the reason I don't recommend it. It WILL attack that firefish and possibly any other goby in the tank.

kiefers

The biocube really isn't that "perfect". My Daughter had a pearly jawfish and it jumped in the back into the filter media. There is a space about 2 inches that it found and went right through it. But for a tad bit bigger fish its good

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///t/390102/pros-and-cons-of-coral-beauty-and-flame-angel/80#post_3453982
The biocube really isn't that "perfect". My Daughter had a pearly jawfish and it jumped in the back into the filter media. There is a space about 2 inches that it found and went right through it. But for a tad bit bigger fish its good
I had my Yasha goby do that as well, but if you set it up right, with enough water, even if they get back there they can still survive.

btldreef

You do know that although blennies have really cool personalities and poke their heads in and out of rocks that they're not a very active, open water swimmer, right?

btldreef

If yellow is what you're really after here's some options:
Yellow Candy Hogfish (Bodianus bimaculatus), sometimes called a Two Spot Hogfish.
I love mine, slow grower (try to find a small one) and swims in and out of the rocks all day. They are actually wrasses, and wrasses in general are very active fish. You're going to want to make sure that any shrimp that you want in the tank are in the tank before this fish. As they mature some can get aggressive towards shrimp that are added after them. Mine doesn't go near shrimp, etc. Very cool little fish and easy to care for.
Yellow Assessor (Assessor flavissimus)
These fish are really cool as well. Not as active/open water swimmer as a wrasse, but still swim around the rock work all day. They do sometime really cool though: They can swim upside down. It's an adaption that they've learned so that they can hunt for small pods in the rock work. I love watching them swim upside down. The captive bred ones are usually a duller yellow that the wild caught, but both versions have similar personalities. Captive bred are usually easier to get to eat.

mersam935

thanks. Went to lfs today and they had a firefish and some wrasses and a midas blenny in the same tank and they all were swimming together. Im probably going to get one.

scrapman

I had both Coral Beauties and Flame. They are both beautiful fish.
IMO the coral beauty is an easier fish to keep. The Flame has more acclimatation issues and has less longevity in a tank.

L

leeshalee

yaaaay get a flame angel i just got one for my 55 gal but i think a 30 gal is definatle big enough for the flame angel and i personally think they are much prettier than the coral beauty lol mine isnt aggressive at all....
but then again it just depends on the fish sometimes

jay0705

You can keep a prisoner in 8 by 8. They live but arnt happy.it sounds like u want what u want in this case get a bigger tank.its not just swim space its ease of care the more tank the easier and more successful it is to keep these fish