PUPPIES! There are being born right now!

al mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/387739/puppies-there-are-being-born-right-now/40#post_3414494
Thanks Al Mc,
LOL...where were you when the pups were being born???? I thought everyone lived on this site like I do...LOL
Thanks for the tip on cottrage cheese, we have indeed been giving her puppy chow, she likes the dry food but the wet puppy food my vet wanted her to eat, she won't touch.
Why would you not remove dew claws?Just personal preference and very slight risk of exposure of pups to disease/stress. I usually suggest for hunting dogs....labs, hounds, spaniels but not for guard/herding breeds or 'non working' breeds...like my lazy Cavalier (which is in the spaniel family but the only thing it hunts is food :) ) All kidding aside, I have no strong opinion of removing or leaving dewclaws.....but do it when they are 3-5 days old....if you wait longer there is more risk with bleeding and it appears to 'hurt' a little more.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/387739/puppies-there-are-being-born-right-now/60#post_3414601
Wish I didn't live so far away, I'd come buy one. Need a companion for my labradork.
LOL...careful...puppies ship on planes all the time.
We have settled on asking $700.00 for each pup. Atticus has tripple Champion bloodlines, Tamerah has her line from Jerlands, K-9 and rescue dogs...I did a search on the Kennels listed on her pedigree of her parents and granparents.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/387739/puppies-there-are-being-born-right-now/60#post_3414654
LOL...careful...puppies ship on planes all the time.
We have settled on asking $700.00 for each pup. Atticus has tripple Champion bloodlines, Tamerah has her line from Jerlands, K-9 and rescue dogs...I did a search on the Kennels listed on her pedigree of her parents and granparents.
Yeah but that shipping thing turns a 700 dollar poop n chew machine into a 900.00 one real fast LOL!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/387739/puppies-there-are-being-born-right-now/60#post_3414737
Yeah but that shipping thing turns a 700 dollar poop n chew machine into a 900.00 one real fast LOL!
LOL...I would be a wreak worring over sending a puppy on a plane...it would be so frightened and all that noise, first time away from mom and the rest of the brood. Poor thing, it would grow up with issues and maybe become one of those rip the house up while your away dogs....then become homeless because people don't want a dog that distroys everything. Oh no it just wouldn't work. You will have to purchase a plane ticket and come here and get the little fellow or girl personally and then rent a car and drive back home....It's the only way.
LOL...LOL...LOL...all that so your other dog will have a buddy.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/387739/puppies-there-are-being-born-right-now/60#post_3414740
LOL...I would be a wreak worring over sending a puppy on a plane...it would be so frightened and all that noise, first time away from mom and the rest of the brood. Poor thing, it would grow up with issues and maybe become one of those rip the house up while your away dogs....then become homeless because people don't want a dog that distroys everything. Oh no it just wouldn't work. You will have to purchase a plane ticket and come here and get the little fellow or girl personally and then rent a car and drive back home....It's the only way.
LOL...LOL...LOL...all that so your other dog will have a buddy.
I'll buy him a new chew toy. He loves the stuffed ducks that quack when they are squeezed. He tears the wings and feet off pretty quick but the body usually lasts a couple years. I threw 3 old ones he had stashed out back away last fall when we cleaned out the leaves.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/387739/puppies-there-are-being-born-right-now/60#post_3414796
I'll buy him a new chew toy. He loves the stuffed ducks that quack when they are squeezed. He tears the wings and feet off pretty quick but the body usually lasts a couple years. I threw 3 old ones he had stashed out back away last fall when we cleaned out the leaves.
Atticus does not ruin his toys, he will chew a ball up in a moment but not those little bath toys...an eye here and a beak there but basically all in tact. It finally dawned on me why. When he was a puppy Emily my little granddaughter played with those bath toys all the time, and the puppy would snatch one and go running...Emily would scream and every adult in the house would chase the poor dog dowm and give the toy back to Emily.
Emily and Atticus are almost the same age, she was two when he was a pup.... she still plays with the little bath toys when she comes to my house for a visit. I believe Atticus doesn't ruin them because he thinks they are hers. When she is here he lets her have them all to play with, and he still sneaks one away when she isn't looking. Both of my dogs adore Emily, Tamerah doesn't chew them up either, but boy will she tear into a chew bone. Baron, my mother's Golder Retriever that we re-homed would eat them whole...wehad to make sure he didn't get them.

scotts

Somehow I sniffed out puppies being born.

Congrats and have fun. Just remember that dogs have been doing this for thousands of years without us getting involved and they know what to do. Just make sure that mom has food and water available at all times and she will be good. Like Al said, feed her puppy food and remember she is eating for 11 so she will eat a lot. As with people, all dog moms are different. Some will never leave their pups and some will only go in there to feed them and then leave.
Since this is your first batch I would recommend you go to Target and get a digital kitchen scale should be no more than $20. You should weigh them once a day and keep track. Keep a sheet of paper and identify them. You can say like "all black" "black with white paw".... You need to make sure that they are gaining weight a little bit each day. On one batch we had one that was not gaining weight even though he was nursing like all the others. We looked at him and he had a hairlip, so while it looked like he was nursing he could not in fact get a good seal and was not actually getting any food. We had to feed him from a bottle.
10 is a lot of puppies. Anything over 5 and we get nervous. One batch had 7 and all were doing well. Then around 2 1/2 weeks two of them were not doing well. Turns out that these two were being forced out by their siblings and were not eating. Even when we gave them alone time with mom they had learned not to eat from here. We had to bottle feed these two also. Remember this is nature and it is survival of the fittest.
If you don't want to get a scale you need to at least pick them up once a day and feel their bellies. You can definitely tell when they have full bellies.
Have fun!
Scott

flower

UPDATE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts http:///t/387739/puppies-there-are-being-born-right-now/60#post_3415006
Somehow I sniffed out puppies being born.

Congrats and have fun. Just remember that dogs have been doing this for thousands of years without us getting involved and they know what to do. Just make sure that mom has food and water available at all times and she will be good. Like Al said, feed her puppy food and remember she is eating for 11 so she will eat a lot. As with people, all dog moms are different. Some will never leave their pups and some will only go in there to feed them and then leave.
Since this is your first batch I would recommend you go to Target and get a digital kitchen scale should be no more than $20. You should weigh them once a day and keep track. Keep a sheet of paper and identify them. You can say like "all black" "black with white paw".... You need to make sure that they are gaining weight a little bit each day. On one batch we had one that was not gaining weight even though he was nursing like all the others. We looked at him and he had a hairlip, so while it looked like he was nursing he could not in fact get a good seal and was not actually getting any food. We had to feed him from a bottle.
10 is a lot of puppies. Anything over 5 and we get nervous. One batch had 7 and all were doing well. Then around 2 1/2 weeks two of them were not doing well. Turns out that these two were being forced out by their siblings and were not eating. Even when we gave them alone time with mom they had learned not to eat from here. We had to bottle feed these two also. Remember this is nature and it is survival of the fittest.
If you don't want to get a scale you need to at least pick them up once a day and feel their bellies. You can definitely tell when they have full bellies.
Have fun!
Scott
Oh forgive me. I got you mixed up with Scott T....I saw Scott and never thought there were two Scotts until just now. Scott T must have thought something odd when I called him the puppy master with all the rescues he has done.....oops
Anyway update: ..LOL...all the pups are alike, all are eating well. Mom feeds 5 and lets 5 rest...one sneaks in for double time every once in a while, and he is huge compared to the others. All have round little tummies and seem well fed. Mom is getting 4 small meals a day of puppy chow and chicken and some cottage cheese...Scott, I already have a scale...puppies wiggle and Mom is nervous...they look bigger everyday.
Today she started barking..we opened the gate and she ran to Atticus for a sniff. They are getting along fine. She barks at him from the box, he won't go in the kitchen but she left the pups and went to her favorite place behind the chair. Then she came and half got in my lap for almost 5 minutes for some pets and hugs, she never did that before, her whole front end was on my lap.
We didn't go to the vet for dew claws removed...too stressful for pups, mom and me.... Al Mc said it wasn't really needed. Also the animal hospital where I take my pets could have a sick dog with parvo in there, and that would be the end of my puppies since they can't get shots yet. I will wait and take them in for the puppy shots when it's time. I already made the appointment, and they will give me a reminder the day before that I'm sure I will need by Oct 17th

scotts

Flower,
Sounds good. You take care of Momma and let her take care of the pups. One of the batches we had here they were all white and we could not tell them apart. Then a 3 year old daughter friend of the family came up with the names for them. There was dress, sprinkles, marshmallow, hot chocolate. Can't remember the other two
Meow,
I see you got a promotion!
I am doing well thanks! Currently we have 11 dogs ourselves. I think, let's see there are 6 pups, the mom and our four, so that makes 11. The mom is a white poodle and the pups are 3 black and 3 brindles. Dad has strong genes.
We took a trip to Hawaii last month and one point I was snorkeling and I felt like I was going through a huge fish tank like you see in the front of a fish store. I had to be careful because the mounds of corals were so high and you are not supposed to touch them. It was awesome!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts http:///t/387739/puppies-there-are-being-born-right-now/60#post_3415228
Flower,
Sounds good. You take care of Momma and let her take care of the pups. One of the batches we had here they were all white and we could not tell them apart. Then a 3 year old daughter friend of the family came up with the names for them. There was dress, sprinkles, marshmallow, hot chocolate. Can't remember the other two
Meow,
I see you got a promotion!
I am doing well thanks! Currently we have 11 dogs ourselves. I think, let's see there are 6 pups, the mom and our four, so that makes 11. The mom is a white poodle and the pups are 3 black and 3 brindles. Dad has strong genes.
We took a trip to Hawaii last month and one point I was snorkeling and I felt like I was going through a huge fish tank like you see in the front of a fish store. I had to be careful because the mounds of corals were so high and you are not supposed to touch them. It was awesome!
LOL...it sounds beautiful...but I will never go snorkeling, Jaws lives in the ocean.

travelerjp98

I went snorkeling in Mexico... an experience I will never forget.. it was beautiful.. I couldn't believe how big some of the corals were!

flower

WOW...I put an add out on the AKC web site when I registered my puppy litter...a guy called today and is coming out on Saturday to look at the parents, and if he likes them, put a down payment to hold a female pup. I haven't put the ad in the other papers yet. I should get busy...I might have all the puppies sold by 8 weeks and it will just be come pick up your puppy day on Nov 1st.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Is it a good idea to adopt all out at once? The mom may go into depression.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, maybe some other input from those who have done this, but I think your dog would take a heavy emotional hit if all the puppies suddenly disappeared.