Python ban

reefraff

I think it was something like 12 deaths from pythons in 25 years was the number I found. To try to make a comparison to that and dogs you would need to know the approximate ratio of dogs to snakes to try to decide which is more dangerous. Not that it really matters all that much.
There are other issues involved in the snake ban, they just used the instance of the kid getting killed to launch it. Could you imagine the uproar if the snake had actually macked the kid. They probably would have banned snake skin boots if that had happened.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3193511
They are trying to ban every single species of Python and boa from what i understand. This includes the ball python.
Does someone actually have a link to the proposed legislation/bill?

aw2x3

When the bill was first introduced, it was under a different title and did, infact, included all species of pyhons...all the way down to Ball Pythons.
Since, it has been amended to S373 and includes the following species ONLY:
Python molurus
Broghammeras reticulatus
Python sebae
Python natalensis
Boa constrictor
Eunectes notaeus
Eunectes deschauenseei
Eunectes murinus
Eunectes beniensis
It is basically Burmese Pythons, Reticulated Pythons, all species of Boa Constrictor and all species of Anaconda.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but isn't that amendment up for grabs again? In reading around, it seems that the complete ban may actually be added.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Care to actually point out specific discrepancies in what he said?
One thing is the under-toned implication that the burn views humans as prey, which is incorrect.

aw2x3

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3195504
Care to actually point out specific discrepancies in what he said?
One thing is the under-toned implication that the burn views humans as prey, which is incorrect.
Just off the top of my head...
-That snakes teeth are fishhooks, with barbs on them.
-That they can move quickly
-The over exageration (sp?) of the numbers, in the Everglades
-Saying that they will thrive in the southern portion of the US, from California to Florida
-And, expecially what you called "the under-toned implication that the Burm views humans as prey"
I'm trying to find another video, now, where he says "Burmese Python females lay 100 eggs, every 3 months"

crypt keeper

The fact he said that there are over 150,000 roaming free. He has zero evidence and it has been proven there isnt that many. Then he goes on and talks about the teeth. They are fish hooks with barbs. WTF is he talking about? They curved backwards yes. They arent barbed and like a fish hook.
Then he says the damn snake is crawling down the road and is on the dudes feet in less than a second. Cheetahs dont even move that fast. He is making these things sound like an animal that can move faster than a big cat and will eat you in one second.
Thne he says that an alligator and a burmese fought for 30 hours. Come on now. 30 hours.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I wondered what the point of saying that the snake got to the ranger very quickly...as if the snake was going to attack? He stopped short of saying that.
I guess you have to view his comments in the eyes and ears of non-snake keepers (who don't know better). Except for your friendly pet snake who has no reason to fear humans, its hard to ever see a scenario where a snake in the wild is going to seek out a human being. Snakes are driven by instinct, and there is nothing in their instinct that tells them to be attracted to humans. Contrarily, avoidance would be most likely.

I realize that people are saying there are all these previous pets now living in the wilderness in florida particularly reptiles. So what happens if they do get rid of them all? Obviously they are eating something right? Mainly Rodents right? So logically wouldnt there be a massive infestation of rodents that florida residents would then have to deal with? I remember seeing videos of the Mice infestation In Australia (shudder) Id MUCH rather have a few more snakes than a rodent take over. And no one will argue that RODENTS do not carry disease. Im not saying that this is ok, Im just saying that maybe its not the safest thing in the world. I think that the ecosystem may have already adjusted and If you take something away..you can bet that your going to see the over population of something else. Just a thought..
I still think Limiting the amount of large species that can be sold yearly, and requiring liscencing/microchipping would help. IF someone would acctually follow through on it right?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No, it doesn't work that way in this case. The Burmese are "invasive" to the Florida ecosystem. In other words, the ecosystem does not need these snakes to keep the rodent population in check, because these snakes are not native. Actually, they are saying that the pythons are effecting endangered rodent populations.
Personally, I have thought too that the introduction of these snakes may not be the catastrophe that is put out there. The world is not a bubble. If we really want to preserve the everglades ecosystem, then lets get rid of humans. Humans negatively impact the everglades more than any invasive snake ever has, or ever will.

reefraff

What would serve as the natural check to these snakes in Florida? If left unchecked their population will explode. Then you do have a major problem on your hands.

aw2x3

That's one of my biggest gripes, Beth. Sen. Nelson is acting like Everglades were in pristine condition, then these snakes showed up and now it's all going to hell, in a hand basket.
The Everglades have been suffering for decades, because of humans...not snakes, or fish, or alligators, etc.
You would have a sustainable population, of Burms, in the Everglades, yes...but not an explosion that wouldn't keep itself in check. Just look at the American Alligator. 20 years ago, it was on the verge of extinction. They protected them and now they're crawling everywhere, attacking and killing people/children/pets, etc.
Burms aren't harming anyone but I agree...they need to be kept in check. They keep saying "There have been 17 Python attacks, in the past 25 years" like that's some astronomically high number of something. More than 17 people get killed by Alligators, every few years.
They're turning a very localized, state problem and trying to exagerate and make people think that in 20 years, there are going to be killer Pythons, hunting in the streets, in Detroit. There has never been a recorded instance, where a python has killed and eaten someone...NEVER...but that's always one of the first things that gets brought up, by these fools..."well, they can kill and eat a human...they grow to be 30 feet long...quick as lighting...they can weigh 500 pounds..."

petjunkie

Interesting that ANYONE on a saltwater forum would support a ban on non native species like this. Considering that released saltwater fish (on purpose and not) are currently causing issues and may come under this exact fire and type of ban.
Any animal can kill a child, a dog, a cat, a horse, a snake. How many kids are killed by their parents yearly again compared to death by pet? And yet who gets banned? The case that started this was bad ownership from beginning to end. I seem to recall that owner had already been breaking several laws, including that his snake required a permit where he lived. So please explain how more laws are going to stop idiocy.
I have a ball python, something extremely non threatening, and there is zero chance of him escaping. It's not difficult to contain a snake. In fact, every day I live not only with a snake, but 2 pit bulls and I take a shower and go up and down stairs and somehow manage to survive, day after day. Stunning I know. 685 people in my state died of falls in 2007. After they ban moving around, we can all just float in chairs like in Wall-E.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that gators are more risky than the Burm, and populations of gators are such that seeing one basking in your back yard or even on your front porch is not unusual in many places in Fla. Aside from humans, the Burm is the gator's only predator.
Populations of animals usually do not cause themselves hardship by becoming overpopulated. Nature has a way of balancing things out.
I wonder why Nelson has jumped on this? I doubt it has anything to do with real concern about snakes in the glades or humans at risk. If he was really worried about risk to humans, he might advocate for cleaning up the state of the criminal elements here...the two legged variety.

crypt keeper

Maybe he is looking for future votes as the snake had just killed a little girl a few weeks prior to that video. Thats when these type of people jump into action. Oh look a possible chance at votes.
Look these snakes are a danger to natural animals butThey have a ton of predators that will eat them when young. Racoon. gators. Birds pf prey. Fox. Anything else out there. Panther would eat a 7 footer IMO with zero issues. Ever seen what a full grown croc can do a to a huge anaconda.
This issue started as a small flmae that the pet Industry brought upon itself. The million dollar snake breeder selling little timmy a 18 inch baby burm. Timmy and his mom didnt know what they just bought. The breeder knew damn well. The industry can only blame itself for stupid breeders.
Now that doesnt take the blame away. Do i thini Florida needs a law. Yes I do. They need to govern the morons who will buy a baby snake not realizing its a possible 20+ year commitment and a possible 20 foot snake that can kill just about anything.
But to sit there and flat out lie and make this things sound like killing machines is just not fair. To the animal or people who could care less about snakes. The people who have very little knowledge will watch that video tape and think there are 20 foot monsters that move like a panther and will eat your kids while you watch in horror. He owes regular people more than that.