Rose Anemone - please tell me its ok!

kerriann

we JUST got this RBTA yesterday. we drip acclimated for 3 hours. specs are as follows:
nitrates 0
nitrites 0
ph 8.2
ammonia 0
calc 450
alk 10.4
phosphates 0
her foot is planted in the a rock and has been for quite some time. we have 4 54w T5's on a 75gal and a Koralia 3500g/h
i came back from work today(about 2 hours ago) and her tenacles were completely deflated, there's brown goo coming out of the mouth and the tank is crazy cloudy!! are we ok? here are the pics of what she currently looks like:
you can kind of see the brown goo that's comin out of her mouths (she has two)

HELP! i'm worried sick!

makoshrk2

Looks O.K. If it has 2 mouths then it has split or is in the process of splitting. Anenomes deflate quite frequently actually. I would probably do a water change for the cloudy water, and maybe run some carbon or chemi-pure

kerriann

looks like it's sliding down the rock and i'm afraid it'll end up face down in the sand - will that be a problem if it's splitting? if its upside down should i flip it back up?

kerriann

well, it completely detached from the rock and landed face down in the sand. i was scared and flipped it over and placed it back on a lower rock and the foot stuck to it. all of the tenacles are still deflated though and it's been almost 4 hours - i'm getting really nervous!

kerriann

woke up this morning and the stupid thing has slid off the rock and is laying on its side completely pulled in - should i put her back on a rock?

bang guy

Originally Posted by KerriAnn
http:///forum/post/2949602
woke up this morning and the stupid thing has slid off the rock and is laying on its side completely pulled in - should i put her back on a rock?

I would slide it over next to a rock. They don't usually stay on top of a rock. In my experience they prefer to have their foot buried at the base of a rock or in a cave and reach around the rock to get to the light.

spanko

Agree with Bang, then leave it alone. Do not move it again. Let it acclimate to its new surroundings and be ready to see it move around on its own. It will be looking for its sweet spot. Don't mess with it unless you can actually see it melting. Then take it out and pitch it.
Looks like the normal acclimation, I am mad at you stuff a nem does though.

coraljunkie

Agree with Bang and Spanko...Problem lots of people have with nems is they want them to stay where they put them. They will find a spot they like and anchor their foot. If you keep moving them they will get irritated and then possibly die. What I did with my Sebae was to scoop out some of the sand by the base of a rock so that it had a way to get its foot under the rock to anchor. It anchored its foot right where I put it and it has never moved.

kerriann

well, my boyfriend moved it around this morning so that the foot is toward the base of the rock. he said he noticed a few tenacles on the ground and he said a few tenacles look brownish but that the nem was still stinging him a bit...
could this thing really die that fast or do we still have a chance and probably just ticked it off? no deterioration to the foot and no dead inverts/fish and no change in reactions to the fish.
i HOPE i'm overreacting, we've just gotten over a string of bad luck where we kept losing fish(we've determined bad fish from a bad LFS) and we just can't see ANY reason for this thing not to make it in our tank...

meowzer

Just out of curiosity, how old is your tank? Also and I can tell you this from experience...DON'T MOVE IT....the first couple of anemones I had (notice the HAD) I wanted in a specific spot...so everytime it moved...I put it back

Well they died...so I have learned that the anemone will go where IT wants to go, and the more you disturb it, the quicker you are aiding in it's demise.

meowzer

OK, everyone always says anemones should be in tanks that are a minimum of 6 months old, so I just thought I'd ask how old it was...

kerriann

no, that's fine, i appreciate ANY insight because we seriously cannot see any reason as to why we could lose this nem. we haven't really been forcing it on to a rock, we've just been trying to keep it from being upside down.
i'm hoping when i get home it'll look better but we'll see...

meowzer

I know how you feel..all too well...Patience is not in my vocabulary...LOL...But with this hobby Patience is a must, and sometimes hands off is too....There is really nothing you can do but let it get use to the tank on its own..also (I have been told) do not try to feed it if the tentacles are not extended and full..

kerriann

i can post pics when i get home tonight. as of this morning it was most all pulled in. no change to the color of the body and no signs of deterioration as of yet