Saltn00b's Multi-Phase Upgrade Diary!

saltn00b

with two in the tank everything is getting some nice gentle flow. the LPS and leathers are not even getting too beat up from it.
unfortunately i dont have timers / wave makers. im not entirely convinced that they are necessary.

saltn00b

the last 2 pics in 437 show them mounted on the side walls of the DT. they pointed generally at each other, but the angle is a little off. i have noticed random flow where some corals will sway a little bit then get blasted, then sway.
they are about 4-5" from the water surface. any closer and it will pull in air bubble vortexes from the surface!

saltn00b

not entirely sure, but i got the 85 lbs pull force disc magnets at www.gaussboys.com
if you have a smaller tank then i suggest getting the 60 lbs discs , as they are not as scary strong. remember, slide them into position to avoid a .... well... situation.

saltn00b

we supported the initial box structure (the 4 sidewalls) with wood screws. all pre drilled to prevent splitting and also the little divets (what are they called again?) to make room for the nail heads and the wood caps to be glued on top.
pre-drilling and the divet things

screws in place

caps glued and tapped in

and here are the internal supports and "feet" that will rest on the top of the tank, holding up the structure. they are being glued here.

saltn00b

thanks for the enthusiasm! I started sanding down the plugs and the sidewalls / overlapping as well. no pics of that just yet :p

isistius

Originally Posted by saltn00b
thanks for the enthusiasm! I started sanding down the plugs and the sidewalls / overlapping as well. no pics of that just yet :p

saltn00b

lol thanks sharkbait
i have been adding the feet / top supports these last weeks. i need to use the 2 clamps that i have so i can only do one at a time. pics coming soon - wishing everyone a nice holiday :)

saltn00b

UPDATES
1) Skimmer
I had noticed a massive decrease in foam production in my EV-180 skimmer for months. this went hand in hand with the removal of my fish to clear out the Ick infestation from back in July, as expected. However, since returning the survivors and adding a few new fish, the skimmer was producing next to nothing. I needed it to work like a charm for my Flat Worm assualt operation, so i took the whole thing apart. first the Rio 3100, which was running farely well and barely any build up. I did notice one of the moveable flaps from the impeller was missing. Cleaned, the pump was pushing water nicely, but still no bubbles. i removed the spray injector nozzle for inspection and cleaning, which i have never done, and found the missing flap lodged nicely in there. After removing the blockage and reassembly, the skimmer thanked me with an explosion of water bubbles! after some small adjustments and the addition of the collector-cup enlargement system - i am brewing some NICE iced tea, who wants a glass??!

2) Flat Worms - Red Planaria
After following the advice as found on Melev's Reef and the other numerous sources citing the same information, i cleaned my tank (so far) of this pest. The trick is to remove as many as you can for at least a week before treating with Salifert's Flatworm Exit, which will kill the remaining worms, which in turn, any not skimmed, or removed bodies will release a toxic chemical. I first tried a turkey baster which was somewhat successful but rather frustrating. Then i built my continuous - syphon Melev-inspired Flatworm suck-o-matic. works like a charm!

after a week with this device, and none were visible, i dosed the recommended amount. I removed dead bodies, though a bunch were free floating and were too difficult to nab with the wand in the current. i guess i should have shut off the flow systems, but no matter, it was a small amount and any bodies would eventually get pulled into the skimmer. after an hour i did another 1/2 dose. no evidence of FWs at this point. the only coral that did not look too happy was my red /green open brain. this was only temporary. I ran a half of a bag of black diamond carbon in my phosban reactor (with no phosban) with increased flow rate, and placed two full bags of Chemi-pure in the sump after 1.5 - 2 hours. All fish and corals are accounted for, no FWs in site!

saltn00b

3 - The canopy construction continues!
after assembling all 4 of the inner legs/lid supports, it was time to test the fit.

fits like a charm! the water line is concealed nicely

manifold hole is perfect. fans will be placed nicely.

constellation fits perfectly! the side vents beathing -

with this massive stroke to our wood-working egos, and affirmation of all of the hardwork, we were inspired to do more!
we started assembling the top. we had to join two pieces of oak (45 degree joint) on top of one pieces of plywood used as a space buffer to keep the Constellation hanging at the perfect height (we hope).
here is the first plank being glued to the plywood.

weights applied (the second plank is resting on top to help with straightening.

nearing completion!
today i need to relocate some source for marine wood sealant for the inside, and some hinges for the cabinet doors. if anyone has an idea on the color of the base, i am thinking it is a satin cherry oak coloration, but let me know if its not.

saltn00b

UPDATE
alright as some of you may now Sure flow is now issuing free upgrades from there supplied props to the larger, more precise and more powerful Dumas (-- boat) props. i emailed mark and i got 2 new props within a few days, along with 2 new mounting brackets.
HOWEVER
I put them on and noticed the steel impeller shafts from the original mods i purchased had fair amount of rust. you see they replaced the original ceramic (i think) with steel. The first kit i cleaned off and put the new prop on. it is working fine. However the 2nd mod kept making a lot of noise / clicking. upon second inspection, the impeller shaft was rusted almost completely through. here are the pics , you can see it is nearly cut in half from rust erosion.
on a side note, speaking of rust corrosion, the suggested adhering method for these mod kits, is powerful disc magnets. i purchased some with a coating for this purpose and they too are experiencing some rust corrosion. i have contacted that distributor and they are looking into better solutions / products. any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
if you purchased the orinal kit from algae free, talk to Mark Hanson <markh@tds.net> over there for a replacement. He will ask for a receipt and UPC from the original mod boxes, but you might not need to provide them with either, as i did not.

saltn00b

- Awesome Customer Service ! my hat goes off to him! -
Mark just got back to me as i was writing the above. he claims he had never heard of this, and will be sending me replacement shafts, and is requesting that i send him my rusting ones back to him so they can review it.

isistius

from what i've read, if the shafts are NOT made of a certain stainless steel (can't remember the #) they will rust.

gatorwpb

Originally Posted by saltn00b
UPDATE
alright as some of you may now Sure flow is now issuing free upgrades from there supplied props to the larger, more precise and more powerful Dumas (-- boat) props. i emailed mark and i got 2 new props within a few days, along with 2 new mounting brackets.
HOWEVER
I put them on and noticed the steel impeller shafts from the original mods i purchased had fair amount of rust. you see they replaced the original ceramic (i think) with steel. The first kit i cleaned off and put the new prop on. it is working fine. However the 2nd mod kept making a lot of noise / clicking. upon second inspection, the impeller shaft was rusted almost completely through. here are the pics , you can see it is nearly cut in half from rust erosion.
on a side note, speaking of rust corrosion, the suggested adhering method for these mod kits, is powerful disc magnets. i purchased some with a coating for this purpose and they too are experiencing some rust corrosion. i have contacted that distributor and they are looking into better solutions / products. any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
if you purchased the orinal kit from algae free, talk to Mark Hanson <markh@tds.net> over there for a replacement. He will ask for a receipt and UPC from the original mod boxes, but you might not need to provide them with either, as i did not.
Thanks for the info! I dont remember where I got mine from, I think it was premium aquatics. can I still go through Mark you think?