Saltn00b's Multi-Phase Upgrade Diary!

saltn00b

to drill the display tank for the 1.5" bulkheads?
we needed something like 2 5/8" circular drill bit, took about 30-45 seconds of drilling per hole, with someone pouring water on it to keep the temp down. i suggest having a thin screw driver or alan key or something like that present to knock the acrylic disc out of the bit, because that will be melted to it.
does that answer the question?
isistius - whats so funny?
i dont get it

isistius

Originally Posted by Bronco300
hey salt, how easy was it for you to drill that tank with a drill?
it's was a piece of cake.
noob- i like your "homemade chaeto trap"

bronco300

yes it does, thanks salt...how cheap did you find your bit for? i'm going to be drilling, but glass...so i'm probably going to be using a dremel out of fear of the dirll going crazy on me,lol

saltn00b

glass i havent tried yet! just make 100% sure its not tempered is all i know!
the bit ran around 20 bucks for one that size. i got a smaller one for making holes for 1" BH's and it was a good deal cheaper as i recall. i dont think you need water for glass because glass shouldnt melt. might be wrong on that tho.

bronco300

still need water to cool the bit too, i've drilled a small 10gallon and 5.5gallon, just with a dremel, so wasnt sure if i wanted to try a drill bit or not

saltn00b

UPDATE - the cheato i added last week has been slowly diminishing, i am going to try changing the lighting this weekend.
spent about 80 bucks in additional PVC and parts this weekend so i can re-do the CLS drain , as well as have some extra for building the manifold.
i am still trying to decide if i should keep 1.5" pipe exits or use loc line / directionals to have more control and more direction, but at the same time, the GPHs would be more direct....
any thoughts?

isistius

Originally Posted by Bronco300
yes it does, thanks salt...how cheap did you find your bit for? i'm going to be drilling, but glass...so i'm probably going to be using a dremel out of fear of the dirll going crazy on me,lol
bronco-
make sure you are using a diamond bit for the glass!!!!!!!

saltn00b

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:
now its getting exciting!
i just ordered (the last one until the next factory batch in mid-march):
T5 72" Constellation Series
Aquactinics 6' Constellation T5 Fixture
What's Included:
* Fixture can hold up to fourteen (14) 39W T5 lamps ( 7 rows total ). 3 rows are on one switch/power plug, 2 rows are on one switch/power plug and another 2 rows are on another switch/power plug. T5 lamps are not included.
* Built in ballasts
* Dual (Dual ball bearing) fans.
* High polish full length individual aluminum reflectors.
* Individual illuminated switches.
* (3) 6ft power cords.
* Protected splash shield.
* 1 year warranty on parts and labor for fixture. 2 year warranty on ballasts.
* Lamp position 1, 4, & 7 are on one switch, lamp position 3 & 5 are on another, and lamp position 2 & 6 are on the last switch.
s 72" T5 Fixture
72"L x 14"W x 3"H
Color: Mirror Black

no bulbs yet

bronco300

wow those are impressive! cant wait to see them on the system!
make sure you are using a diamond bit for the glass!!!!!!!
yep, all over that

saltn00b

the price went up in january, but surprisingly cheap still so i had to jump on it.
680 bucks brand new, shipping not included
277 bucks for the bulbs i want to get (not ordered yet)

chuckcac

***)
great set up n00b! Congrats on the lights...
thanks for all of your input on my thread last month... i finally got all the acrylic cut to size and plan to glue it all together this weekend...
keep a look out for the thread when i start to post progress pics -
i appreciated your input buddy - and look forward to more

saltn00b

TO THE T-5 PROS - here is a question:
do the bulbs have to be reciprocal? as in, if for example switch 1 controls bulb position 3 and 5, and is the first to go on / off (sunrise / sunset) then do i have to have them all one type - 39W Pure Actinic 03 T5 HO Fluorescent (from what i have now, below), or can i do the pure actinic in say position 3, and then UVL Super Actinic in position 5 to have more of a blend of light spectrums?
i didnt know if i could so, assuming i could not this is what i have now, but i am feeling it does not take advantage of the amount of bulb positions.
pos# /Switch# / Bulb (duplicated on the other side)
1 339W 6000K Midday Sun T5 HO Fluorescent
2 239W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent
3 139W Pure Actinic 03 T5 HO Fluorescent
4 339W 3000K Daylight T5 HO Fluorescent
5 139W Pure Actinic 03 T5 HO Fluorescent
6 239W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent
7 339W 6000K Midday Sun T5 HO Fluorescent

saltn00b

ok here is the updated list ,
121.95339W Super Actinic T5 HO Fluorescent
220.95239W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent
317.95139W 6000K Midday Sun T5 HO Fluorescent
419.95339W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent
521.95139W 10000K AquaSun T5 HO Fluorescent
620.95239W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent
719.95339W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent

saltn00b

talking to some T-5 experts i switched to have the 3-row switch be the first and last, actinic set. and a few bulb choices that will allow for growth and red's to pop while still having an overall blueish Hue

saltn00b

well 80 bucks later in some extra PVC lengths and parts, the proposed project change was accomplished saturday.
step one:
unscrew the drain strainers and replace with threaded end caps.

this is a shot of the existing set up

step 2:
partially create the new structure, glueing only necessary parts, leaving the ends unglued for micro adjustments.
here we are checking measurements

step 3: cut the old PVC drain structure out.
this was tricky! it would have been impossible if the tank was not in front of a window. simply not enough room to get those giant PVC cutters back there. so we removed the screens and attacked from the outside! pretty funny situation but we prevailed in the end.

the old one is out!