Saltn00b's Multi-Phase Upgrade Diary!

shawnlx86

I'm curious to see your lights, I'm looking to order them this weekend. How do you like the bulb combo you went with and do you plan on putting this in a canopy?
Thanks,Shawn

saltn00b

shawn, i had the constellation fixture delivered to my brother's business. he is coming down this weekend with it to help me build the new canopy around it. i am vaguely planning on a frame w/ swivel joints so the whole top with fixture can be moved up out of the way for tank maintenance. the actual plans have not been drawn yet, as we were waiting to get a hold of the unit. according to aquactinics there also needs to be unobstructed screens for air flow on the sides and top, for the unit to breathe.
today, i am looking into marine paints to see what it would run me to get some white inside for additional reflection, but more so to prevent new wood from warping in the humidity. I am not yet in possession of the bulbs, as i am on a budget nowadays, and dont need them until this unit is built and ready to replace my existing canopy.
some reasons i have to go with canopy with this unit:
a) my hands are in the tank way too often, and i need to top off from the top of the tank right now, so the unit needs to be out of the way.
b) t-5 are super bright and i dont want the light escaping the top of the tank.
c) my tank is a custom acrylic and has 3" euro brace type lip around the top. this design does not lend itself towards canopy-less system, as it is aesthetically unpleasing.

saltn00b

early day at work, so i will take some pics for ya right now ^^
more to come this weekend when we start work on the canopy...
also, for anybody that has painted the inside of their canopy with marine paint, where did you get it, how much did you need, and how much was it ?

theappe

marine paint you can get at any marine store. You should be able to get by with a gallon. I dont know the price though. Shouldnt be too expensive.

saltn00b

haha i suck on the pics i know!
i have the aquactinics Constellation in my possession! however , i noticed that the aluminum reflectors are a dinged up a bit, so i am in talks with the guys over at aquactinics about what can be done.
2 pics of that already taken, will post up tonight.
The 'Cheato' mix macro ball is still goin strong, so far.
also broke down an old tank at another location, scored about 30 cerith and turbo snails, 3 emerald crabs and blue neon gobies that are going through a little hazing by the old crew.
pics of everything will be taken tonight i am hoping!
also, while i am at work today i am working on drawing plans out for the canopy. its going to be a bit tougher to build than originally figured, and my brother is in talks with enlisting the help of a cabinet maker to aid with his knowledge.

saltn00b

ok here is what i have come up with so far:
any help or advice from anyone that has done this sort of thing is very much welcomed so PLEASE CHIME IN and HELP OUT!!!

kayak385

It looks good to me, it has the same idea as a automobile hood.
The only thing i'm worried about is if you have room in the canopy anywhere for gas exchange.

saltn00b

yea id like to hear what he has to say, for sure.
kayak - thanks, the lights will have to be at least 2" over the top of the tank, so 3" over the surface at least, to allow space for the CLS manifold piping to come up and over from the back.

saltn00b

ok here are some new pics!
the Aquactinics 72" Constellation

the new cheato / other macro algae ball, so far surviving in the fuge!

i realized i never showed the screen device to keep the macro in the fuge section of the sump, so here it is, a plastic screen rubber banded to 2 parts of egg crate, zip tied together

saltn00b

ok now some purdy pics of the tank and the new and old inhabitants:

super tongan nassarius, some turbos, and my porcelain

reunited. this was the first coral i ever purchased, it was moved to a hex tank which has since been dissasembled recently. I was not the caretaker of it, and it was on the verge of crash. so here it is, looking very different from the old days.

the prized fast growing (even in my lights) Nepthia, some green stripes, purple zoas, xenia...

rhodactis colony

BTA and GSM 1

saltn00b

eagle eyes

i dont remember there name??

skrimps and a diamond goby

xenia and galaxia

trumpet, zoas , yellow polyps. can you see the evil aiptasia? its time is short!

blackcap and toadstool

one of the new neons

saltn00b

pink zoos a la efishnsea via isistius lol

fuzzies

metallic green hammers growing out

right side

ricordia florida

Bahama Mama's , GI -Joes and a scarlet leg. i like this shot :p

reefkprz

oh yeah! looking good. been waiting to see some more pictures. Its really shaping up now isnt it?
I'll keep on watching ***)