Same Sex Marriage Okayed In New York ... Your Thoughts?

kiefers

HMMMMMM off to a different topic I see. One of the MAJOR problems in this country (IMO) is the LACK of...... take a pick

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott T http:///forum/thread/386373/same-sex-marriage-okayed-in-new-york-your-thoughts/120#post_3393727
That is not the only thing that they equate to being homosexual, Lets see, Pedophilia, Sicko, Unnatural, Sodomite, and the list goes on and on. As I have stated before they degrade me, say mean things to me, call me whatever they want to, but I will not stoop to their level, to be mean and unkind to them.. I will treat them with respect and not degrade them, because I am a better person than that. Why should I add more hate to a world that is full of it now? Why would I do the same thing that they are doing? I respect that they have an Opinion on the issue and they are entitled to it. Whether it is right or wrong I must respect that, I must let them voice that because that is their right. It is ignorance because they first see Homosexuality, they do not take the time to see the person, it is the one thing for them that defines who the person is that persons Homosexuality. I will live my life as I see fit, if they do not like it or they have a problem with it, that is their problem not mine. I am not going to let them stop me from living my life and being happy. I should not have to change who I am just to please everyone or make them happy, the only one is this world that I need to make happy is myself. If I can include others in that happiness then that is wonderful, if they choose not to associate with me then, I have many others that will.
I thank all who have had an Opinion on this issue and I will continue to debate it, but remember I will be respectful and hope that everyone else will also be.
-Scott-
Don't know how old you are but at 52 I have lived in California, Arizona, Idaho, Montana and Colorado. Attitudes about gays have changed greatly since the 70's when nobody would think a thing about calling someone a fag or whatever. I've even known some rednecks who have really mellowed about it. They are still uncomfortable about it but are to the live and let live stage. As weird as it may seem I think the whole AIDS thing did as much to change attitudes as anything. Sure the initial response was an over reaction but it also encouraged a lot of high profile people to come out and openly support gay friends and we learned there were famous gay folk other than Liberace and Elton John. Homosexuality was listed as a mental illness until the early 70's so that helped drive some of the sicko talk but that doesn't explain why people born after that time still do it.

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///forum/thread/386373/same-sex-marriage-okayed-in-new-york-your-thoughts/140#post_3393734
Don't know how old you are but at 52 I have lived in California, Arizona, Idaho, Montana and Colorado. Attitudes about gays have changed greatly since the 70's when nobody would think a thing about calling someone a fag or whatever. I've even known some rednecks who have really mellowed about it. They are still uncomfortable about it but are to the live and let live stage. As weird as it may seem I think the whole AIDS thing did as much to change attitudes as anything. Sure the initial response was an over reaction but it also encouraged a lot of high profile people to come out and openly support gay friends and we learned there were famous gay folk other than Liberace and Elton John. Homosexuality was listed as a mental illness until the early 70's so that helped drive some of the sicko talk but that doesn't explain why people born after that time still do it.
I agree that the attitudes toward gay and bi-sexual people have changed since I came out in the late 80's. but there are still the stereo types and there is always going to be. I have many straight, gay, bi friends, my best friend is a Straight male, I was the best man in his wedding, so I know how things have changed. I know there are going to be people out there that still have a problem with it, that is ok with me. I do not know why people born after that still do either, but I do not think that it is going to change some people's views on the subject and it never will.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///forum/thread/386373/same-sex-marriage-okayed-in-new-york-your-thoughts/140#post_3393734
LOL...Now you did it...insulted a bunch of good old home boys.... calling them rednecks....your in trouble now buddy...LOL

btldreef

Geez! What in the world did I miss while was on vacation?
Personally, I think it's great that homosexuals will now be able to enjoy the same rights that married couples have had for so long.

darthtang aw

You three are asking for it........
Thread was buried.....no need to dig it up....
Maybe there is a dead relative you could go dig up......needlessly.
Darth (my grandfather comes to mind) Tang
P.s. miss me btl?

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///forum/thread/386373/same-sex-marriage-okayed-in-new-york-your-thoughts/140#post_3394048
You three are asking for it........
Thread was buried.....no need to dig it up....
Maybe there is a dead relative you could go dig up......needlessly.
Darth (my grandfather comes to mind) Tang
P.s. miss me btl?
LOL. I actually think you brought up some valid points in this post Darth.
I was reading it while I was away but having a hard time posting anything. I wasn't trying to resurrect this from the dead at all. I actually was going to lock this thread while I was away, but couldn't do it from my phone because earlier on it was getting completely out of hand, but things seem better now. I also felt that as a New Yorker, I should at least chime in.