SHARK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/389371/shark/140#post_3443104

Can you look up anything or do you just want to be spoon fed?
You claim you're in 8th grade, or whatever, you should know how to research things a little. This is why everyone is getting so annoyed with you. Look some things up!
Don't mind BTLDreef
she may be annoyed with you know but she does know what she's talking about (she's been mad at me a few times)
do a little reserch and show your are capable of doing so and she'll come around

travelerjp98

Yep, me and BTLD were enemies for a bit (or at least I thought so)
And now we're good friends!
(Or at least I hope so.... LOL!)

S

smallreef

as a very small juvenile yes,, once it hits 4 inches... with other fish Id say no

S

saxman

An adult tuskfish will need some swimming room...more like a 120 gal or so. In captivity, you're probably talking about an 8"+ fish that does a lot of swimming. A tuskfish is a large wrasse, and will constantly be on the move. I'm assuming your tank is 48" x 18" x 21"? One thing to consider is an 18" deep tank, once aquascaped, leaves maybe a foot or so of depth, so all the fish can do is pace. I'd say a 48" 100 or 120 (both of which are 24" deep) would be a better footprint.
One thing you can do is try to view how a fish acts in an aquarium...look for vids on the forums or even you tube. Check their swimming habits. Some fish do nothing (like most of my fish), while others are constantly moving.
FWIW, our little tuskfish (now about 1.5") will go into a 7' x 2' x 2' peninsula setup.

S

saxman

Tuskfish grow faster in girth than length, so that's a plus if you plan to upgrade. look for a 3"-4" specimen, and I'd definitely try and find an Aussie fish...they've been SUPER nice this season.

E

eric b 125

so get the fish when you upgrade. start off with some smaller beginner fish. what equipment do you already have? it seems that you're really interested in keeping saltwater fish, which is great, but you need to start slowly and with the suggestions that are given to you by more experienced hobbyists or else your enthusiasm will quickly turn into frustration.

Well i have none atm. I am planning on gettting a emperor 400 and a hangon Skimmer. It will b probably another 6 months until I can get fish.

E

eric b 125

so if you have to wait 6 months to get fish for this tank, why not just get equipped for the 180 and spend some time doing research? i know it sounds silly, but this hobby requires knowledge of physics, biology, chemistry, plumbing, construction and ecology. the systems we keep are a lot more complex than "what fish can i keep in this tank with these fish". there are reasons things can and cant be done and it's not something that will be taught to you, you have to go out and learn it yourself. honestly, if you are seriously going to get a 180 in a year then i wouldnt waste $ on the 75... spend that time and money on reading some scholarly articles, books, etc.. none of us learned everything we know before setting up a tank but you have decades of experience suggesting to you to do a bit of reading. it sounds lame.... but not nearly as lame as wasting time and money. realistically, if you dont want to read-up on the subject of saltwater fish husbandry then maybe you ought to just pay someone to setup and maintain your system for you- you will save $ and the lives of marine animals. these animals and the future of the hobby that we all love are in danger. we spend thousands of dollars to create environments that will sustain marine life and every year that gets more difficult for us to do b/c their natural environments are constantly getting ruined by humans. it's not just about keeping a dope fish tank that you can show off to your guests, its about sustainability and protecting the wild reefs, too (aquaculture).

I plan on setting up my 75- getting used to the hobby and all and after like a year or so i Will get a 180+. I Will get one sooner if i see one cheap on Craigslist, but otherwise I plan on learning about Saltwater fishkeeping so when i get a big tank I know what I am doing firsthand. I have some lots of research. Can other give me an estimate though on My 75 with filtration and everything.

S

smallreef

OKay so for MORE research,,, ask for some of the more expensive saltwater books for christmas..

These are a few of my favorites... I have about 20+ books.. only ever bought one book I didnt really care for..
None of these books is REALLY expensive, but i assume being in 8th grade you dont have a job.. so..
ask for a giftcard from any of the chain bookstores and you can usually order them.
I REALLY did 6 years of information gathering before I set up my first tank,, and i still made $$$ in mistakes (#1 not a big enough tank for what I wanted, lol)
Starting with good equipment is the next essential,,, for a 75g if you have a Bio-Wheel its going to be a struggle to keep your water parameters near where you want them..
since its a beginning tank id look into atleast canister filters if you dont do an external overflow with a small 20-30g sump...

S

smallreef

okay.. apparently stop listening to this LFS "person" you want the MOST water overturn and filtration as possible..
granted you cant use what was in the canister that you had for the freshwater but if you could run that with new media and the biowheel that would be much better than just the biowheel...
and what are you calling a hang on filter? (maybe its something I dont know about) can you take some pictures of what you have so we can see?