SHARK!

S

smallreef

you do have filter floss and charcoal or different media in the different layers of the canister right???
and a hang on skimmer is a great piece of equipment if you are not going with a sump design...

Well I think I know what you are thinking. In my rena filstar, I have several layers of filtration. What do I need to Change for Saltwater?

S

smallreef

well first of all you should clean it out,, alot of the filter media you will want to change just becuase it gets old.. especially if you used it for freshwater...but some of the media used for fresh isnt necessarily what you want for salt...
I have never used a canister filter but look online and see what people are using in them...

I read several thoughts on it.... Some said it raises nitrates.... Others said nitrates raise normally and that's why you Change water.... Some also said it makes a great extra wave of filtration. Also, is it ABSOLUTELY necessary I have a DO/RO unit for sw?

bang guy

Nitrate is the end product of aerobic nitrification Ammonia - Nitrite - Nitrate.
To remove Nitrate you need to physiacally remove it from the tank. This can be some fast growing organism (like algae) that you grow, harvest, and remove. It can also be a live deep sand bed or high quality live rock to use anaerobic bacteria to convert the nitrate to nitrogen gas which simply bubbles out of the tank. There is also chemical and denitrate coils.
Water change is the most straight forward but algae scrubbers are simple to build and very effective as well.
RO/DI is a sure thing. If you go with buying filtered water you need to rely on someone else. If you use tap water you need to get a report of what's in your water to see if it's harmful to saltwater organisms. Some places have good water, most places do not.

bang guy

I think canister filters are excellent for holding GAC. Run GAC for a couple days once a month to remove gelbstoff. Don't reuse the GAC.

S

saxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/389371/shark/180#post_3443472
I think canister filters are excellent for holding GAC. Run GAC for a couple days once a month to remove gelbstoff. Don't reuse the GAC.
+1 We have an old canister sitting around just for that purpose...temporary chemical filtration.

S

saxman

GAC = Granulated Activated Carbon
gelbstoff = German for "yellow material", meaning amines, purines, etc that turn your water yellow.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeepingPRO http:///t/389371/shark/180#post_3443584
sorry, but what is GAC and gelbastoff? Also, how exaclty do you test your Tap water.... test kits???
You can also look at the EPA website for water analysis but there are two things to keep in mind - 1) water impurities often change seasonally but the EPA only requires annual testing and 2) your household plumbing can change the water parameters, typically not for the better.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/389371/shark/180#post_3443591
I'm currently not using any activated carbon in my system, and haven't had any problems with gelbstoff.
Take a white sheet of paper and tape it to one end of the tank. Then look through the aquarium at the paper and you'll see the gelbstoff level visually.