Sick Doggie

darthtang aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/384593/sick-doggie/100#post_3371123
Well I am going there at 4 again with more food.....IDK what to ask...or say yet...BUT I want them to do something....Originally the dr told us if blood went down to 12 they would have to do the transfusion.....SO WHY...are they willing to do nothing now?????
I am waiting for suggestions from AL, or anyone else on what to ask them or SUGGEST for them to do.....I am devastated at this news :( I really thought it would be good news today
Because the transfusion is a big deal. If the blood can turn around on its own that is better. The Vet knows what they are doing in this case. Relax, go daily and feed her. Some dopgs just won't eat in a strange environment while sick. Sometimes they need some familiarity to know it is "safe" to eat. You are the familiarity. I know dogs that will not accept treats or food from anyone but their owners or people they know real well. Your dog may just be this way.

meowzer

But now it is a week
I am trying to remain calm....not so easy...I was actually in good spirits after seeing her yesterday only to have the rug pulled out from under me :(

btldreef

Well that stinks. It doesn't seem terrible though.
As for her not eating for them, would you want to eat in a strange place with people that were stabbing you with needles? I bet she'll eat for you this afternoon.
I know it sucks that you still can't take her home, but it's for the best.

gemmy

As BTL stated, that stinks. Now, I have a question does she have anything in her cage to remind her of home? If they allow it, I would bring an old blanket (even toss it in the laundry hamper to get your scent on it) and bring a small stuffed toy. This might help comfort her and remind her of home.

meowzer

NO, there isn't anything there....and I don't have anything with me....we have loads of toys at our house, BUT Pixie never plays with them only Rosie did

btldreef

Your scent will help. This is going to sound crazy, but I would stop at a store and buy a new shirt and give her the one you've been wearing all day.

al mc

I sent you a PM from my phone but not sure if you got it.
Since I read that it is not a 24/7 place I would ask if after her evening treatments you can take her home, especially if she eats for you. Certainly you will have to keep her away from excessive stressor (other energenic dog). You can bring her back in the AM when they open and let them administer treatments throughout the day, then perhaps take her home at night again. Let us be blunt: There may be some stress with the trip back and forth but if there is no one there to watch her I would rather have her in your safe loving environment....especially if something bad were to happen instead of a slightly stressful animal hospital. I have to do a little 'cya' here and say that I have never seen her and am trying to offer the best advice I can based on what I am reading but there is no substitute for the advice of your local vet who you indicated you like/trust. So if he/she says 'not a good idea' to take home leave her at the animal hospital.
My Animal Hospital is not 24/7 either and I do this often. Admitably, I have several local Emergency clinics that my clients can utilize if my patients are deteriorating.
If she is drinking well on her own and has not been vomiting then IV fluids, while possibly helpful, are probably not essential.
I am troubled by her drop in HCT but dogs have recovered with even lower HCTs.
Sorry if my PM did not come through to you. Al

btldreef

LOL...I am wearing a dress....so I will bring her something tomorrow 

HAHA! Where is Joe for this one?

meowzer

That's ok IDK why I did not get ot......They have 3 drs, and 3 assistants....from what I understand the drs rotate and come in every couple of hours after closing to check on the animals
I just cut up some more chicken and I am about to go there now.....I am very discouraged cause everything I read states that there should have been an improvement by the 3rd day IF there was to be one :(
I will update this when I get home......I am also going to talk to the doc I DO KNOW.....I don't want to step on toes either, BUT !!

darthtang aw

Your scent will help. This is going to sound crazy, but I would stop at a store and buy a new shirt and give her the one you've been wearing all day.
LOL...I am wearing a dress....so I will bring her something tomorrow 

Did a woman just pass up an excuse to buy clothes?
Darth (end times) Tang

meowzer

OK...not so good today....when I got there she got up on her front legs, but did not try to approach...she did lick me ... BUT she would not touch the food....I tried to have her sniff it, I placed it against her mouth, NOTHING :( I did not try to force her though......she did drink some water while I was there though. AFter a few minutes she relaxed her front paws and laid down...SO I just stayed with her...talked to her...and petted her
I DID have a lengthy chat with dr though....First I told her about all I have read....made sure she understood I was not questioning her....I am just trying to understand what is going on....reading and hearing some of this stuff is like a foreign language to me
1. most reports I read say there should be signs of improvement in 1-3 days...and cases with jaundice the prognosis is worse...we are on day 7 with conditions worsening....teh dr says she did not agree with that...ok
2. i asked if they did a coombs test.....she said yes, it had to be sent out, and results should be in tomorrow.....this test should confirm what we already know
3. asked if we ruled out parasites....she said yes
4. asked about an ultrasound for tumors or cancer.....she said they did not have that capability, and I would have to go to OKC for that, BUT she does not think that is the case
5. Asked about spleen removal.....she said that is something only to consider after stabilization.....which we are not at
6. Asked about taking her home for the night.....The Dr said it was up to me...BUT strongly advises against it right now...they don't even let her out of the crate....she said she had a dog with this once that she took outside to use the bathroom and it literally fell over dead......so they take no chances.....I told her I would stand by her advuce on that
7. asked about new cbc and transfusion....she is going to run blood again in the morning...it seems their machine is fixed...BUT she also feels that tomorrow they will do the transfusion regardless. ALSO she told me (and I read) that the transfusion is a temporary fix.....I guess what they hope for is the 2-3 days that it lasts, the steroids and antibiotics kick in
SO does that mean she will seem better for a few days....then get worse again (maybe)?
OK ..NOW this is new.....she started her on prednisone today..IN ADDITION to the dexamethasone, and the 2 antibiotics baytril and the other tr(??)....one
SHE DID tell me that their are signs of NEW red blood cells when they check the blood...but apparently they are not surviving
Pixie is still very yellow.....I will call tomorrow at 10 a.m. for the test results again......
SOOOOO...Did I forget to ask something??? Should I ask something else? What now????
I let myself get excited yesterday, I should have known better :(

al mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/384593/sick-doggie/120#post_3371291
OK...not so good today....when I got there she got up on her front legs, but did not try to approach...she did lick me ... BUT she would not touch the food....I tried to have her sniff it, I placed it against her mouth, NOTHING :( I did not try to force her though......she did drink some water while I was there though. AFter a few minutes she relaxed her front paws and laid down...SO I just stayed with her...talked to her...and petted her
I DID have a lengthy chat with dr though....First I told her about all I have read....made sure she understood I was not questioning her....I am just trying to understand what is going on....reading and hearing some of this stuff is like a foreign language to me
1. most reports I read say there should be signs of improvement in 1-3 days...and cases with jaundice the prognosis is worse...we are on day 7 with conditions worsening....teh dr says she did not agree with that...ok Usually you do see improvement in a few days, but not always.
2. i asked if they did a coombs test.....she said yes, it had to be sent out, and results should be in tomorrow.....this test should confirm what we already know Coombs positive or negative they are realistically still going to treat the same way.
3. asked if we ruled out parasites....she said yes OK
4. asked about an ultrasound for tumors or cancer.....she said they did not have that capability, and I would have to go to OKC for that, BUT she does not think that is the case Unfortuanate that you can't get Ultrasound of abdomen but that might be a long way to transport her if she is not in good shape.
5. Asked about spleen removal.....she said that is something only to consider after stabilization.....which we are not at New one on me. I would usually only remove a spleen if it was the source of the bleeding (tumor)
6. Asked about taking her home for the night.....The Dr said it was up to me...BUT strongly advises against it right now...they don't even let her out of the crate....she said she had a dog with this once that she took outside to use the bathroom and it literally fell over dead......so they take no chances.....I told her I would stand by her advuce on that Probably for the best since they do check on her at night
7. asked about new cbc and transfusion....she is going to run blood again in the morning...it seems their machine is fixed...BUT she also feels that tomorrow they will do the transfusion regardless. ALSO she told me (and I read) that the transfusion is a temporary fix.....I guess what they hope for is the 2-3 days that it lasts, the steroids and antibiotics kick in//files.saltwaterfish.com/smilies/shrug.gif" sab="1835">
SO does that mean she will seem better for a few days....then get worse again (maybe)? It is a temporary fix but since you need to try to stabilize her and her blood count was dropping it should be done in my estimation, if available and you can afford.
OK ..NOW this is new.....she started her on prednisone today..IN ADDITION to the dexamethasone, and the 2 antibiotics baytril and the other tr(??)....one Well. they are both corticosteroids. probably trying it because they need to change things up since she is not getting better. get the spelling of the other antibiotc if you can. It probably is a Tetracycline family drug but...here I go getting myself in trouble....IMHO it should not be a 'sulfa' drug....doubt it is..so do not panic...but I there is a sulfa drug know as Tribrissen (generic is known as SMZ)
SHE DID tell me that their are signs of NEW red blood cells when they check the blood...but apparently they are not surviving Still. This is good. It is considered a 'regenerative anemia'. If she were not making any...'non regenerative anemia'...that would be bad at this stage
Pixie is still very yellow.....I will call tomorrow at 10 a.m. for the test results again......
SOOOOO...Did I forget to ask something??? Should I ask something else? What now???? While the actual cuase of the autoimmune crisis is difficult to figure out you might ask if they have a list of a couple possible explanations as to what triggered it. Infection (probably), Tumor (hopefully not), Medication ?
I let myself get excited yesterday, I should have known better :( They can go up and down with this problem some so hang in there
My thoughts

meowzer

Thanks AL....I'll get the exact spelling of that antibiotic tomorrow....I was thinking it was something like tikercyclin

the spleen thing came from info on the net.....I was just reading a bunch of different sites...and asked her about it
They said the transfusion would run about $80....at this point I am NOWHERE near ready to give up.....it's only money....BUT I have to do all I can for Pixie.....she does not seem to be in any physical pain....just weak...very sad looking :(
I am thinking about calling a few animal hospitals in Texarkana TX (90 miles), and Paris TX (45 miles) to see if MAYBE they have ultrasound capabilities.....JIC

cranberry

Your seed of doubt is planted.... go get a second opinion. PLEASE! I think your case is beyond their means.
I agree Pixie should be there at this point...... but with 24/7 care. There is still no reason for her to be there based on the level of care she's receiving...
Al, is their zantac for dogs? A steroid stomach is not going to do anything for her appetite, not to mention ulcers. What's the best way to measure Sats in a dog? I would be worried about that will extremely low Hct/Hgb and oxygen levels. ( (In doggie terms, is 12 super low... or just low).
How much is she actually taking in water wise? Are they forcing her? If they are, that's a warrent for an IV, IMO. It'll also help support the circulatory system. If she had an IV, would that then mean they would have to cough up 24/7 care? I would not let a running IV go unattended... so they would have to. If they give blood, you make them keep that IV. Is it just plain water they are giving? Eventually, that's not enough. They need electrolytes. water is good for survival mode... but we want her in tip top condition to fight the good fight.

meowzer

She is drinking the water on her own...it is just plain water in a bowl...
Here's the thing......this is a vet I used a long time ago...i switched to a different one because of convenience to my job.....well that dr is in rehab (YEAH REHAB) and he will not be back until MAY...that is if I use him again....
In this office where Pixie is now, there are 3 different dr's conferring......My options in this area are limited.....IDK who to ask or where else to go :(
I don't DISTRUST this dr......I just don't understand all that is happening...I am looking up all this stuff, and it is getting me more confused.....

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry http:///forum/thread/384593/sick-doggie/120#post_3371324
And I don't wish to put that distrust in you. It's an awful weight to carry around.
You're not Renee...and I value your opinions....You know more about medical terms then I do too....
I'm just trying to gain more knowledge of this whole thing so I can understand....that's the worst part....not knowing what stuff means...that and helplessness :(

al mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry http:///forum/thread/384593/sick-doggie/120#post_3371318
Your seed of doubt is planted.... go get a second opinion. PLEASE! I think your case is beyond their means.
I agree Pixie should be there at this point...... but with 24/7 care. There is still no reason for her to be there based on the level of care she's receiving...
Al, is their zantac for dogs? A steroid stomach is not going to do anything for her appetite, not to mention ulcers. What's the best way to measure Sats in a dog? I would be worried about that will extremely low Hct/Hgb and oxygen levels. ( (In doggie terms, is 12 super low... or just low). Prolonged cases of GI irritant drugs...I usually use Sulcralfate....Dogs can/do take Zantac which is another drug to consider. Brings up a thought about food....I like to offer strained meat baby food....chicken, lamb or beef. Dogs (and cats) usually love it and it is bland enough for even an upset stomach to keep down and it is pasty enough that it is easy to force feed. While I do not know of any hard number as a standard for transfusions. I would call 12 super low. I have had ones lower that have recovered when the clients can't afford a transfusion. Usually I would suggest one if I have a HCT declining that goes under 15. I may have to refer pets in need of a transfusion to Oklahoma. Unfortunately to place an IV catheter and just start administering IV fluids would be $80 in my area.
How much is she actually taking in water wise? Are they forcing her? If they are, that's a warrent for an IV, IMO. It'll also help support the circulatory system. If she had an IV, would that then mean they would have to cough up 24/7 care? I would not let a running IV go unattended... so they would have to. If they give blood, you make them keep that IV. Is it just plain water they are giving? Eventually, that's not enough. They need electrolytes. water is good for survival mode... but we want her in tip top condition to fight the good fight. You are correct about the electrolytes. many times I will ask clients to offer broth, Pediolyte or even gatorade (NOT the G2 as the artificial sweetner is not good for dogs/cats)