Sick Doggie

meowzer

OH YEAH...I did ask about the food I fed her yesterday, and they said she did not throw it up....BUT they had also given her a med for nausea yesterday.....but not today....MAYBE that had something to do with her lack of appetite tonight......I wil lask them to give her the nausea meds tomorrow....then we will see
Should I bring baby food instead of chicken???? The food they were giving her looked like mush to me...LOL...
YES AL The prices here are way different, I hear the transfusion in NY could run in the $1000's...BUT...I have fewer services available to me :( I asked if they have treated this before, and they said they get a few cases a year....

al mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/384593/sick-doggie/140#post_3371336
OH YEAH...I did ask about the food I fed her yesterday, and they said she did not throw it up....BUT they had also given her a med for nausea yesterday.....but not today....MAYBE that had something to do with her lack of appetite tonight......I wil lask them to give her the nausea meds tomorrow....then we will see
Should I bring baby food instead of chicken????Bring both The food they were giving her looked like mush to me...LOL...
YES AL The prices here are way different, I hear the transfusion in NY could run in the $1000's...BUT...I have fewer services available to me :( I asked if they have treated this before, and they said they get a few cases a year....

I think prices in my area are lower than New York and California (right CBerry?). But you can walk into one of our 24/7 clinics on an emergency basis and have no trouble leaving after say suturing a wound for $1,000. It is one thing that bothers me about my profession.
We can do many of the same things that are done for humans but someone has to pay for all the high tech stuff. We bought a digital radiograph processor last year...we get great films..better than the old chemically developed films...but it cost us $60,000. We have an ultrasound machine..cost $22,000. While it allows us to practice better quality medicine (I hope) we pass those expenses on to our clients.....and our fees are considered 'inexpensive' compared to the many corporate practices (VCA and Banfields) in our area.

meowzer

OK...I will pick up some baby food...and more chicken....and I am gonna ask them when I call in the morning to give her the nausea medicine too

meowzer

This is so frustrating....the blood work isn't in yet, and either is the result of the coombs test....they are going to do the tranfusion "later" I like to have times, BUT sometimes you gotta live with what you get
I told them I will call back at 2.....as I intend to come again today with more food. IDK how her getting a transfusion will affect this

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/384593/sick-doggie/140#post_3371474
This is so frustrating....the blood work isn't in yet, and either is the result of the coombs test....they are going to do the tranfusion "later" I like to have times, BUT sometimes you gotta live with what you get
I told them I will call back at 2.....as I intend to come again today with more food. IDK how her getting a transfusion will affect this

Time just stands still when you are waiting like this. You know the pot never boils as long as you watch it.. kind of thing. I hate waiting too, and it never fails to be late when I really need it to be on time.

cranberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/384593/sick-doggie/120#post_3371325
You know more about medical terms then I do too....
Ya, but sometimes that leads to inappropriate assumptions.... I know babies.
Low Hcts is something I deal with every day at work. We call blood the vitamin of the NICU. Babies who have low Hcts show their numbers way before we see the results. They suddenly get super sleepy, their heart rates dip, they forget to breath, they require oxygen due to consistent low sats, they don't eat as well. The transformation after a transfusion on these little guys is nothing short of amazing. They don't fight well when they need blood, they get sick easier as the body is stressed. One thing that shows up super bright with a low Hct babies is their jaundice. We have a lot of chronic jaundice babies. Their look like psycho freaking glow worms when their Hct drops. When they get transfused you barely notice it (unless you dress them in blue) except for their sunflower eyeballs.

meowzer

WELL....I just talked to the DR....She gave Pixie the nausea medicine and she ate all the chicken I left for her.....she then ate the dr's leftover lunch..LOL
They CAN NOT do the transfusion today as it seems the veins collapsed, so she will wait and try tomorrow. The new blood results have NOT come back yet...she sent them to the lab cause she feels that she will get more accurate results
The lab tech says the test for neoplasia is negative (cancer), and the test for parasites is negative, and the red blood cells are being made (regenerative is her word)
I will be going there again later this afternoon with both babyfood and more chicken....IMO her eating is a big + ... it will help her keep up her strength.
I asked about her coming home...she said let's just see what the blood shows tomorrow...
I have to wait for my seahorses to arrive tomorrow, BUT after I have them settled in, I am going back to see Pixie....AT That time, I will bring up her coming home with me for the weekend.....I DO NOT want to cause Pixie any stress though.....They have stressed to me the IMPORTANCE of keeping her stress free.....I don;t have a crate, BUT I can lay a bunch of puppy pads down for her if I need to....the only worry would be the med she receives by shots....BUT I know I could do it..

btldreef

From my understanding, if veins are collapsed, it's usually a sign of dehydration. Might want to ask about this and if she's getting enough fluid/electrolytes from just the water. I hope your visit this afternoon goes well! Glad to hear she ate well too!

al mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/384593/sick-doggie/140#post_3371533
WELL....I just talked to the DR....She gave Pixie the nausea medicine and she ate all the chicken I left for her.....she then ate the dr's leftover lunch..LOL Excellent!
They CAN NOT do the transfusion today as it seems the veins collapsed, so she will wait and try tomorrow. (??) The new blood results have NOT come back yet...she sent them to the lab cause she feels that she will get more accurate results
The lab tech says the test for neoplasia is negative (cancer)(I don't know what test this would be, but OK), and the test for parasites is negative, and the red blood cells are being made (regenerative is her word) Excellent
I will be going there again later this afternoon with both babyfood and more chicken....IMO her eating is a big + ... it will help her keep up her strength. (agreed)
I asked about her coming home...she said let's just see what the blood shows tomorrow...
I have to wait for my seahorses to arrive tomorrow, BUT after I have them settled in, I am going back to see Pixie....AT That time, I will bring up her coming home with me for the weekend.....I DO NOT want to cause Pixie any stress though.....They have stressed to me the IMPORTANCE of keeping her stress free.....I don;t have a crate, BUT I can lay a bunch of puppy pads down for her if I need to....the only worry would be the med she receives by shots....BUT I know I could do it..
Overall it sounds like she is doing much better today than yesterday. If her HCT is rising then a transfusion may be unnecessary. If the immune system's destruction of the red blood cells has been stopped with the corticosteroids and she is has a regenerative anemia then the HCT should be higher tomorrow. With her size you may be able to confine her to an old playpen/child gate her into one room by herself, etc.. I am happy for you and her and will hope she continues to recover!

meowzer

I am scared to get my hopes up again....BUT I am NOT ready to give up!!!!
The neoplasia test (??) she told me detects cancer...IDK I just wrote what she said
why do you have ?? after the transfusion statement?
Of course we will not get the hct results till tomorrow...and she only seems to eat AFTER she is given the nausea medicine.
My "fish" room is gated off the rest of the house, so she will be safe in there with me (if I take her home) AL...If I take her home, should I attempt to take her outside, or just let her go on the puppy pads?????

flower

No cancer and she ate her food and the Drs lunch...she will fat as my seahorses in no time (they are too just fat
). Sounds like good news to me.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///forum/thread/384593/sick-doggie/140#post_3371569
you already know my feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/thread/384593/sick-doggie/140#post_3371574

No cancer and she ate her food and the Drs lunch...she will fat as my seahorses in no time (they are too just fat
). Sounds like good news to me.
Flower she is already over weight...so a little weight loss would not be a big thing IMO....
I AM ON MY WAY there now......so I will update in a couple of hours

al mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/384593/sick-doggie/140#post_3371563
I am scared to get my hopes up again....BUT I am NOT ready to give up!!!!
The neoplasia test (??) she told me detects cancer...IDK I just wrote what she said
why do you have ?? after the transfusion statement? ?? because you can always find a vein if you need one. OK if they do not give her one if they don't feel it is needed but IMHO they could find a vein, if needed.
Of course we will not get the hct results till tomorrow...and she only seems to eat AFTER she is given the nausea medicine.
My "fish" room is gated off the rest of the house, so she will be safe in there with me (if I take her home) AL...If I take her home, should I attempt to take her outside, or just let her go on the puppy pads????? While they get tired very easily with low HCT I usually like to carry them out..put them in the grass and she if they need to go to the bathroom. I keep them on a leash and linit it to 2-3 minutes 3-4x daily. A well house trained dog does not want to go to the bathroom in the house...so sometimes they get upset if they have to....

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Mc http:///forum/thread/384593/sick-doggie/140#post_3371581
A well house trained dog does not want to go to the bathroom in the house...so sometimes they get upset if they have to....
Ha, come on over to my place sometime. LOL
Meow, it sounds good to me. One of the things you can do if the dehydrated is actually happening is to get those pedalyte popcicles and have her lick those. If she chooses to not lick it, let it melt in a bowl.

meowzer

OK...I went to see her today....she met me on all 4's...yay...BUT she got pissed when she realized I brought food...meaning she was staying...so she would not take the food from me....I put it in her bowl...and she ate it YAYYY....she also had 2 very good drinks.....then she laid down.....Then she got up and I thought she was gonna jump out....she started to breath a little heavy, andthe dr thought maybe she was getting excited....Personally I think she had to sue the bathroom...and she did not want to do it in the crate....HAHA.....she is a WELL TRAINED house dog
ANYWAY...we will discuss her coming home with me for the weekend AFTER they get the test results back tomorrow....the dr wants her kept in a very small area with NO WALKING around, excitement or stress
I got a copy of the reports from yesterday...I scanned them in the computer...I can not get them bigger on here...so I HOPE YOU CAN READ THIS AL.....

cranberry

Please tell me they have drawn lytes. If not, phone them and have it added.
I'm sorry, I'm going to say it, you are receiving crappy care. Collapsed veins? Your poor girl is suffering from dehydration. A good chem panel will tell you a little more about where she stands with that. By tomorrow she will not be more hydrated, she'll be less and that IV will be harder. Did they tell you a game plan on how they will hydrate her before they try again tomorrow. What they're doing isn't working. I bet they don't even have a game plan. Yes, I see I am sounding a tad bitter, but there have been at least 10 red flags in your thread that translates into poor quality care in my own healthcare setting.
When I was unhappy with my local vet, I had the files sent to another clinic for evaluation. Maybe call one of the other clinics and tell them your situation. You can just say you would like your charts reviewed to see if you are doing all you can do in light of lack of available local technology. Ask if the plan of care is what they would recommend. I was taking advice from this clinic and reporting it to my local one... like med suggestions and treatment plans. Maybe have her peeked at just once with another clinics eyes.
Your labs show you she's fighting an infection and she's anemic... and doesn't have parasites.

meowzer

SO I guess you can read it?
IDK what a lyte is???? SO IDK what to ask for......The problem is There is no other local clinic....I asked a few people today, and everyone said this place was the best
There are 3 dr's there.
I can call out of the yellow pages places in Texas, BUT IDK anyone to ask who can refer me to one there....Or what to ask.....

gemmy

http://www.veterinarians.com/city/Paris_TX.html
You can also try calling groomers/pet stores in the area to get recommendations as to who they use. When you call for the second opinion, first let them know that the phone call will be lengthy. Then, let them know Pixie's story from the very beginning. Ask them if they agree with the course of treatment? What do they recommend for Pixie? Then, go from there.