Slice's 47g Coral Evolution

slice

**Evolution from The Beginning**
While we wait for updated pics, I realized this "Evolution" thread started mid-stream. Here are pics of the tank from its infancy to this past Nov:
March 23, 2010
47g Column
single NO T8
Aquaclear 70
(1) Koralia K2 (I think)
300W Titanium Heater
40# Sand
5# LR, ~15# BR
On establishing the cycle, (1) Three Stripe "Tyrone" and (2) Yellow Tail Damsels "Pookie" and "Peaches" (yeah, they were all ghetto)

A month or so later, added more rock

Experimented with some stuff called "Chaeto". Upgraded lights to 6-lamp T5.
Added "Dottie", the Royal Gramma who at the time, stayed close to her hole in the rock to hide from nasty Damnsels (lower left near the sand)

Added HOB skimmer/refugium (see skimmer box and return - heater now in 'fuge), and a second Koralia (at one point, there were 3 Koralias in the tank), added more rock in Oct, 2010
Banished the damnsels back to the LFS, added (4) Green Chromis (Eeny, Meeny, Miney and Moe - Moe died of stupidity, kept picking fights with Tyrone)
Still no coral; started this thread to ask for recommendations...

Removed the dead coral rock, played around with other shaped pieces, this somewhere around Jan 2011
Added LR with hitchhiker mushrooms, added "Herb", the LMB and "Skittles", the Sixline Wrasse (2 Green Chromis murdered, 2 left)
Dottie now assumes her rightful position as Queen Diva of the tank.

Picked up coral donations (mushrooms and a leather tree) from SWF member T316, bought monti, zoas and candy cane, upgraded to (1) MP10 + (1) Koralia. Returned remaining Green Chromis to LFS, added top piece of rock.
April 2011

May 2011
Went to regional/local frag swap "ReefSmart" and bought a few things...

Now we're getting somewhere! 'bout time!

Went to another swap at a local coral farm, added more coral

Finally! Got rid of that last butt-ugly Koralia! Now (2) MP10s!
Added ORA SPS Frag Pack! All that planning and awesome recommendations are now starting to pay off...
Another frag swap put zoas and palys on the frag rack.
July 2011

More Zoas and Palys

Nov 2011
Stuff be growin'......

But that was nearly 3 months ago, it looks a bit different today.........

S

smallreef

great photo journal! thanks for starting back at the beginning :)
now,,, new pics right?? right??? thats what were all waiting for,,,,,

slice

**PICS**NEW ADDITIONS**GROWTH**
I warn you that you will see gelidium on some of the rock (red wiry algae); it is some nasty stuff. I brought it in on some zoa frags. The recommended removal is manually with a dentist pick...really?
I've stopped its advance with elevated mag; some has already died back. It is like velcro, holding on to detritus which fuels a bit of HA, but for now, that is OK as several critters enjoy the food source. The gelidium is also being pulled, scraped and picked at. It will take a while, but in time it will be gone. If all else fails, I will cover it with epoxy slabs until it dies, then pop the epoxy back off. Now, on with the update...
Old Stuff First
Random Zoa Pics
Watermelon Morphs
These are probably my favorite, had them since last May, finally growing.

Radioactive Dragon Eyes and Eagle Eyes
These were my first, have grown about 5X the number of polyps

"Creamsicles", another favorite.
These came in on the Candy Cane frag, I removed 10-15 polyps and mounted them on this rock.
"Herb", the LMB (RIP) made this rock his favorite perch and beat the zoas down to 1 polyp. The "last man standing" now has 3 offspring.
Very slow growers.

"Extreme Pinks". Indestructible, very fast growers. Refugees from the center of the tank when the monti grew to rob them of light.

Peach centered zoas (forgot the real name); hardy fast growers, doubled since last Nov. Also shown:
Candy Apple Greens, Green Crosette, Tubbs Blue and Armor of Gods, all doing well

LPS and SPS

Tyree Tricolor Bali
The most recent SPS. Poor exposure setting; the tips except for the very ends are blue/purple.
This guy had me stumped for a while, but with help from The Doctor and The Professor* through PMs, it
is doing great and is growing quickly
mage/id/609449/width/350/height/467" target="_blank">

*Florida Joe and Spanko
Green Slimer
Had not done a thing since arrival last May except to base out. Then the underside lost all color, no PE and the
flesh started to pull away from the edges at the plug. The Doctor, The Professor and I had written this guy off.
As soon as I began thinking I would replace it with a Neon Green Digitata, it greened up, shot out decent PE and
started tip growth plus a new branch!! Maybe it isn't done after all...

Hydnophora
Continues to grow and grow. Text says that these do not encrust. This guy didn't get that memo.
MONSTER. I keep waiting to find it one morning in the kitchen making coffee and wanting to bum a cigarette.

Mr Brain plots world domination.

Rose Millie
FINALLY a new branch!! Hard to see in this pic, but it is near the edge closest to you.
It puts out LONG feeders.

(the gelidium on this rock is all but done, dead and fading away)
This pic is an example of NOT following Saxman's photography recommendation of turning back the PHs,
had I done so, the long feeders would have been apparent (I always seem to screw up something).
Tricolor Acro
A little pissy in this pic after a waterchange, usually furry. Quick grower.

The Big Guy. Speaks for itself (with authority).

New (finned) Additions
"Herb Jr" (named after the original Herb) https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/387400/r-i-p-herb#post_3408493
I just refer to him as "Junior".
img alt="Herb Jr.jpg" src="https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/data/c/cc/cc24e217_HerbJr.jpeg
Peek-a-boo!

"Skittles II" named after the original Skittles who was falsely accused and wrongly exiled back to the LFS https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/385102/snapped#post_3376059
It turns out that "Dottie", the Royal Gramma was the instigator. They will just have to learn to live together this time. I suspect that Dottie may have bigger issues now anyway....

This about the best shot I'm going to get...he is fast
"Kev", named after a dear friend**. I've wanted a Flame Angel since starting this tank. You may have read of previous attemps, this one looks good.
He has been in the tank 2 weeks now and seems to be the model citizen (read: no one messes with him). Dottie has met her match.
I kept the lights off for 2 days after introducing him. He used that time to tool around exploring all the nooks and crannies, caves and tunnels. Mind you, Dottie is always up at the crack of dawn, when the first
sliver of light comes into the room, surveying her realm, but she stayed underground these 2 days. I can imagine her in her hidey-hole; her self proclaimed throne room, seeing this behemoth shadow moving around wondering "What the F*** is that?!?"
When the lights finally came on, Dottie stormed out of the rock and attempted again and again to get in Kev's face. Kev just went about his business, ignoring her. Dottie kept jumping in front of him saying "Hey!... Hey YOU!... YEAH YOU!!...I'M TALKING TO YOU!! I'm the Queen Diva of this tank and you can..." Kev, tired of the noise, spun around, squared up, cocked his head and whispered "B*tch, please
", then returned to his casual business.
Dottie, unaccustomed to such lack of respect just stood there, lost for words. After a few moments, she slunked away, looking back over her shoulder mouthing things I can't repeat here.
She spent most of the next 3 days shadowing Kev, a bit behind and above, looking for weaknesses. Having found none, she seems to have changed her tactics from brute force and intimidation to trying to out-eat and out-grow the bastard (I've never seen her eat so much or so aggressively).
"Kev" the Flame Angel

FTS
ght/467" target="_blank">

Thanks for looking!
**Kevin Arthur Knight
Left us Jan 18 2012 at the age of 49
A great friend, husband and father of 3
Kevin is sorely missed

S

smallreef

um love the pictures and the Soap Opera Digest that comes with them!

gemmy

Slice, that was well worth the wait. The story about Kev and dottie's first interaction was awesome and well said. Thank you very much for sharing!! The tank is looking AMAZING as always. I love the brain that is plotting to take over the world. I for some reason cannot keep them alive.

mrdc

Looking great as always! Your story reminded me when I added the purple tang. My other tang did the same thing....got in the purple's face, shouted some sthings and the purple just kept ignoring everything until she finally had enough. A few scars later on the other tang and everything finally settled down.
Again, nice work.

al&burke

Spectacular Joe, IDK that monti takes away from your tank, you should send that to me, J/K - I always love the uniformity of that coral/

mr. limpid

Slice, you cracked me up
me with commentary of Kev and Dottie, you definitely need to us a story on the story of the month thread, you'll kill.

jburgi

It looks FANTASTIC! Inspiration! Kev is VERY good looking! I am loving my coral beauty
Dottie sounds A LOT like my maroon clown...evil little.... but can't help but love her!