Slice's 47g Coral Evolution

mrdc

Corals (especially frags) can be found everywhere really cheap but the shipping kills the deal.

slice

**New Additions**
PS
I changed the title of the thread.
So I went to T316's place Saturday, Great guy, beautiful home, awesome tank, 280g in-wall dividing living room from dining room, hassle-free setup through and through.
His build thread here:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thread/316459/t316-s-280-reef-continuation
These pics taken the following morning just after actinics came on, with flash (sorry crappy camera):
This guy, after full lights, became fully upright and about 1 1/2x larger. It was loose on the sand in T316's tank, I glued it to the rock. It is currently about 18" down from the light, right side (see pic with scale in above post).

This mushroom was already attached to the small rock; it is much more green under actinics. It seems alternately happy or PO'd. It is about 21" down, again, right side.

This red one doesn't seem to care what you do to it, it is just glad to have a home. About 22" down, left side.
It was originally placed in the hole loose, but after this pic, it floated towards a cave at the rear. I glued it to a small rock are replaced it near where it was. It didn't seem to mind at all.

I'm not sure about this guy, it was originally situated upright in the sand in T316's tank, the rock on its side under the sand. I placed it higher up on the rock, around 21" down after this pic. I am *guessing* it will turn upright in time. If not, I will fidget with it. It has not seemed to make any reactions at all to being moved.

yeah, yeah, a bit of cyano, I'm working on it (flow issues).
Unfortunately, the most beautiful frag, a red mushroom with blue dots, floated away to parts unknown by the next morning. I knew I should have glued it down
. I hope it will re-emerge from the rock and find a resting place in full view. When it does, I will post a pic.
Thanks to T316 for his hospitality and the frags!!

E

eric b 125

slice, fwiw, i have never had much luck gluing softies. they release too much slime to effectively glue. i know a dude who dries off his shrooms real well before using super glue gel with an accelerator and that seems to work for him. if you should come across that red mushroom, you can try using a zip tie to hold it to a rock. i like the added surface area that zip ties provide, over rubber bands that i tend to wrap too tight. you could also use a plastic cocktail toothpick (i like the swashbucklers swords) to spear the mushroom through the center and then loosely rubber band it to the rock. it will attach within a week.

slice

Thanks Eric! I will keep that in mind.
I did notice some slime when I glued the other red one (for a moment there, I thought the slime was me gluing my fingers together)...

t316

Slice...thanks for the kind words. It was a pleasure to meet you.
Nice tank there. I'm sure the shrooms will do fine. It's probably 50/50 on that last leather, but they usually do look like crap for a few days after handling them.

mproctor4

I have a little glass cup (old candle holder) that I put a little bit of agronite or rubble in the bottom. Put my mushrooms in the cup in low flow. Within a couple of weeks they usually attach to the rubble then you can glue the rubble to the rock. Works good for me.
I recently tried cutting one into four pieces first. In a week each piece had a mouth and a foot. At 2 weeks they are almost the size of the original mushroom. It is amazing how quickly they are healing. I have also been giving them a small amount of liquid coral food every few days, they swell right up when that is added. I am thinking about waiting another couple of weeks and cutting each one up again so I have a colony of blue mushrooms. Just a thought if you want them to spread quickly.
Your tank is looking nice!

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by T316 http:///forum/thread/381452/slice-s-47g-coral-evolution/20#post_3353578
Slice...thanks for the kind words. It was a pleasure to meet you.
Nice tank there. I'm sure the shrooms will do fine. It's probably 50/50 on that last leather, but they usually do look like crap for a few days after handling them.
Thank YOU sir!
I think you should post a FTS in your old build thread, so others can see what I saw the other day.
If that last leather does not get with the program in a few days, I may try to re-frag it and see if I can make something.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproctor4 http:///forum/thread/381452/slice-s-47g-coral-evolution/20#post_3353579
I have a little glass cup (old candle holder) that I put a little bit of agronite or rubble in the bottom. Put my mushrooms in the cup in low flow. Within a couple of weeks they usually attach to the rubble then you can glue the rubble to the rock. Works good for me.
I recently tried cutting one into four pieces first. In a week each piece had a mouth and a foot. At 2 weeks they are almost the size of the original mushroom. It is amazing how quickly they are healing. I have also been giving them a small amount of liquid coral food every few days, they swell right up when that is added. I am thinking about waiting another couple of weeks and cutting each one up again so I have a colony of blue mushrooms. Just a thought if you want them to spread quickly.
Your tank is looking nice!
Thanks for the complement!
I now remember reading a technique just as you describe, perhaps from one of your earlier posts. I might just try that, especially with the now MIA red/blue dot shroom when it comes out, that thing is beautiful.
Wife is already asking when will they grow out when will they grow out when will they grow out do we need a new tank do we need a new tank.....

E

eric b 125

if your WIFE is asking you if you need a new tank- the answer is always YES!!!

slice

**New Addition**
My first coral purchase:

I can't seem to make that POS camera take a close up without flash, but these guys, under actinic, really pop!
The orange Zoas are like flashlights, the Candy Cane's centers are neon.
I also did a bit of rock re-arranging, small new rock added. Will post a FTS soon.
Both mushrooms shown earlier have doubled their size and appear to be healthy.
The purple leather keeps getting knocked around by the Mex Turbos and is showing its displeasure.
The green tipped leather seems to be trying to turn up towards the light, so it may do something yet, if not, I will re-frag it.
Reading back through this thread, I should update my water parameters
PH 8.4 steady throughout the day (refugium light opposite DT light)
*or at least steady enough to show about
the same color on an API color chart
Ammo, trites and trates have been undetectable for months now
SG 1.025
Temp steady at 79*
Gotta get that reef test kit...
Oh, almost forgot, my first of 2 Vortech MP10s will be in the tank by end of this week!! w00t!!

mrdc

I like those candy canes. I was at Petland the other day and their candy canes had some of the biggest heads I have ever seen. I wanted to get them but they were just out of my price range. Good pickup for you though!

slice

Thanks!
I'm not a big fan of candy canes, but this piece was a bit unusual and at a good price ($24), so, what the heck?
I bought this at the LFS across town Saturday that sells Aquavitro saltwater, which I needed. I also got a long expensive list of other supplies.
Then, I check my email late yesterday, I find the other LFS had a weekend sale on everything for 20% off...

hate it when that happens...

slice

**Feeder Tentacles**
I did some research yesterday on care and feeding of Candy Cane Coral and found they do indeed put out feeder tentacles at night. I did not know that.
Reading several forums and research sites, I found half said to feed 1-2x/week, half said don't bother. The definitive word came from spanko on this site (of course) about 4 years ago: feed ~1x per week small mysis or other small meaty.
Out of curiosity, this morning I put a flashlight on the critters and sure enough, all the head looked like little crowns with feeder tentacles out.
How cool is that? They do seem rather "skinny". It was good to see them hungry.
I will get my cola bottle top and turkey baster ready. I can't wait to see them eat!

mrdc

I put pellets in mine and it would gobble them up. I personally believe that feeding them will help them to grow faster too even though the literature states that feeding isn't required. I fed mine up to 2x a week but it was 1x time most of the time.
On a side note, I did not realize that my favia had tentacles that were so long. It had been getting knocked around for some time and the tentacles never came out. I placed the frag on the rock ledge and after a few days, I guess it figured it was safe to release the tentacles and now they stay out. I give it some pellets and the thing blows up. Pretty cool.

slice

Is that the magnet-mounted ledge on your back wall? That working out for you?
If I had thought about pellets, I could have fed them quickly this morning.