Slice's 47g Coral Evolution

btldreef

It looks great.
You don't really need to cut any of the skeleton of the candycane to get the zoanthid off, just cut as close to the base of the zoanthid as you can.
I, too, like the "phallic" design, lol.
That monti is going to look awesome once it starts to fill out.
Are you planning any LPS?

slice

Thanks BTLD!
Funny Meow asked about moving the zoas off the candy cane, I've been thinking about doing that for a while now. Maybe next weekend I will give it a try.
I should have included a left side shot of the monti, it has a lot of "shape character". I am truly amazed at it's fast growth.
As for LPS, yeah, I think so...would love to have a hammer at least. There is one section that could have an LPS or two without anybody being too close to another. The fairly small footprint of the tank (20"x18") makes a need for solid placement planning for LPS.
Once the monti grows out and shades the right side in the rear, I have a spot in mind for perhaps a dendro.
Gotta get some "show" zoas going, that rock bottom right front is where I want some really nice ones.
Not real sure about those mushrooms, I don't want them to multiply so much they get in the way. The leather may not stay long term either...

slice

**MAJOR UPDATE**
I went to "Reefsmart" Saturday, a local/regional frag meet. Met a lot of locals, several local coral vendors and coral farmers. Most booths were hobbyist selling frags out of their tank:

I bought 15 frags that averaged only $13.34 each. This list is:
Zoas/Palys/Polyps
Tubs Blue
King Midas
Extreme Pink
Watermelon Morphs
Nuclear Green Palys
Bright Green Palys
Wagon Wheel Palys
GSP
LPS
Hammer
Brain Worm Platygyra
SPS

Stunner Acro
Green Slimer
Tricolor Acro (2)
Ponape Birdsnest
Some of the pics came out fuzzy, I will get better ones soon, but here are a few:

After a week of so, some of these will be relocated, the SPS are lightly glued for ease of moving up if needed,
but here it is for now...
Thanks for looking!!

al&burke

Nice stuff Joe, I like were your monti is, I know you have had it for a while. I noticed in your picture of the meet there was a bandsaw, I assume water cooled for cutting corals, were they for sale there, and did you happen to notice the price of them.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///forum/thread/381452/slice-s-47g-coral-evolution/60#post_3383983
Nice stuff Joe, I like were your monti is, I know you have had it for a while. I noticed in your picture of the meet there was a bandsaw, I assume water cooled for cutting corals, were they for sale there, and did you happen to notice the price of them.
I like where the monti is too, it is where spanko suggested to put it. The bandsaw was for a fragging demo and for cutting off plugs if anyone wished. I *think* the bandsaws were also for sale, I will look to see what the price was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/thread/381452/slice-s-47g-coral-evolution/60#post_3383982
You picked up some nice pieces. Good luck with them! :)
Thanks BTLD!
Now to up my game since I am now a PROUD SPS KEEPER!
I hope I don't have too much trouble positioning the stunner and the tricolor and they do well in their new home. I *think* the slimer will be ok where it is.
I am fairly sure the birdsnest is ok where it is. I still have a lot of room up top reserved for some tabling stuff.

slice

**UPDATE** (no pics yet, but soon)
Last weekend the Wife and I went to a frag swap at a local coral farm (2 months ago, I didn't know there was a coral farm 40 mins away, now I know there are three within a 3 hour drive).
The farm was a greenhouse type structure with 6 large open tanks, roughly 8' x 8' x 3' rimmed with eggcrate a foot or so below the waterline. Some of them had large (5"+) yellow, blue and other tangs flashing about.
Lighting was all natural sunlight.
Anyway, we took (4) T5 lamps that were misshipments from Current to replace a bad lamp I bought (read: free lamps) and a 2-head stalk of candy cane that had broken off.
In exchange for those items and $20, we took home:
3" frag of neon green Hydnophora (the branching horn type)
-I have not found a lot of care info, except that they are extremely aggressive and need SPS-like conditions
8 polyps Camo Palys
8 polyps large green Palys
5 polyps Goochester Palys
-I now have a "Palys Corner"...very cool....
1 head red acan
-never thought I would have an acan...woman wanted it
2 stalks of pulsing Xenia
-not sure I want these, but they sure are cool, pulsing vigorously, put in a spot where they cannot do much harm for a good while
The tank is now filling up, except for reserved areas on the tall rock where specific SPS will go and reserved areas low front where specific colorful zoas will go.

flower

I have been holding off any comments until I see some update pictures...so come on already...........LOL.......waiting is hard work. I love, love, love your rockwork..it reminds me of Novahobbies.