Snake's 75g build thread

snakeblitz33

So the people at ________ called me and said that not everything was in stock at the moment and that they don't keep certain things in stock that cost more than $X dollars to avoid having excess stuff on their shelves. I understand because it's January and everyone let their stock be depleted for tax season. Probably still catching up on a lot of stuff. Anyways, my calcium reactor and my Apex Jr. will be drop shipped directly from the manufacturer. They refused to let my order to be left on the front porch, so now it seems like I have to pick it up at a UPS facility. Woohoo. (sarcasm)
It seems, however, that even though I paid the additional shipping surcharge, since they didn't have it in stock - I will have to wait an additional week to get my stuff. No problem - I have to have some time to build a canopy and side cabinet before I can get some stuff installed anyways.
View from the kitchen...

acrylic51

They refused.......Didn't think it was up to them when your paying the shipping charges......Are they holding the entire order till everything is in stock.....If I'm not mistaken the place you ordered from has free shipping over a set amount, so real curious what this surcharge is all about......I have everything dropped on my front porch and never sign for anything......

snakeblitz33

Well, I paid an extra $8 for premium shipping... the standard was free.
The woman on the phone said that they couldn't leave my order on the front porch because of the dollar amount. Said that the UPS driver doesn't want to be responsible for it getting stolen. So, if I am not at home (which is most likely) then I'll have to pick it up at the facility - which in my city is a pain in the rear to get to. (over some busy train tracks).
Anyways, I'm not worried, as long as I can get everything in a reasonable time frame and there aren't any more surprises.
Though, everything that I bought today has to do with those two key items. If I get all of my other packages in except for my Ca reactor and my Apex unit - then I can't really use any of the other products that I have purchased. :(

srt8

Hey Seth,I like the look of your rocks,I also have a 75 gallon and I feel like I have too much rock,the guy I bought it from had all of it in there,how many pounds do you think you have?Im thinking of taking some out but I want to be sure I have enough for biological processes,at this time I don't have a refugium,I'm guessing I have twice your amount of rock, in your opinion could I get away with about what you have without running a refugium?

snakeblitz33

I have about 70lbs in my tank all together. about 20lbs of it is in my sump.
Really, it's up to you how much rock you put in your tank. There is no set rule.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/540#post_3510615
With rock in the sump do you have to have a light?
No light required. It's there for additional surface area for bacteria and non-photosynthetic organisms to grow. It also gives some space for organisms like copepods to populate - as well as bristle worms and sponges to multiply. Good things.
Although, I do have a small CFL light on always underneath my tank so that I can see in the living room when I need to get up in the middle of the night. My coralline and other algaes have not died yet on the sump rock because of that small little light, so I guess I am using some light underneath the tank, even though it isn't required.
I can't wait to get my order in! It's going to be soo awesome! kinda like Christmas. lol
I am going to get started on my cabinet and canopy pretty soon. I just have to get something else out of the way or at least put together and painted pretty soon. UGH!

snakeblitz33

Just tested my water with my sleek new Seachem test kits and I see something I don't like. Can you spot what it is?
Calcium: 300 mg/L (300.3ppm)
Alkalinity: 2.5mEQ/L (7dKH)
Yeah, that's right. LOW, LOW, LOW!!! I guess my frags sucked up all of the calcium over the course of the last water change. I can't believe it is sooo low!!!
Anyways, tonight I am adding some calcium to the tank and a little alkalinity. Enough to bring it up a bit. 10.2 oz calcium and 1oz dKh for those reef geeks. I'll end up adding the same amount in the morning and re-test tomorrow evening to see if there was much change.
I just can't believe that it was that low!!! No wonder!!!
I hope that by adding this calcium reactor I can get a better control on my calcium, alkalinity and magnesium demands. It's insane that my Ca was that low...

S

siptang

That is bit low but im surprised because you dont have tank packed with corals... what salt are you using again? Also how often do you do your water changes?

snakeblitz33

Eh, it's getting there. I'm using Instant Ocean... just the regular one. I'm doing about 5g once a month. So, yeah, I guess I shouldn't be surprised either.
I'll be adding some more ca and alk to my tank this morning and I'll be testing again this evening. Also, I bought another frag from the LFS. lol
I ordered a 48" strip of ReefBrite 50/50 LEDs yesterday from the LFS. They won't be in next week but the next.

snakeblitz33

Yeah. Ill be regularly testing my water now that i have some good test kts.
These seachem test kits make me feel like i am still in my chem lab at school. Lol. I like em'.
I added more calcium and a little alk this morning like i said i was going to do. The website for the reef calculator i used said to dose something like 20oz of calcium. Weird because thats almost 1/3rd of a gallon of randy's recipe.
Anyways, either i come home to a disaster or i come home to some happy corals. I hope everythings ok. I have work until 5pm tonight.
As a side note, does anyone know a good chemistry tutoring website like kahn?

acrylic51

Cool you caught the levels.... Get your levels to your target area and then bring the reactor in to maintain them...

manners

I was using instant ocean before and always found I had trouble keeping my calcium stable. I have since switched to aquavitro salinity and have loved the results. I notice now right after I do a wc all my corals have great polyp extension and they love it. All my parameters are more stable ( I still dose about 2 oz of cal a week). It costs a little more but I only do a 5g wc a week ( if I feel like it) so it works out to less than 10 bucks a month wich I think is worth it.

snakeblitz33

Eh. Salt is salt to me. I can add supplements as needed. I have yet to see that one salt is SOO much better than another. I used to use Tropic Marin Pro when it came out and then I ran out of it and switched to Seachem Reef and didn't have any issues. Then I switched to regular Instant Ocean and didn't have any issues with that on a standard tank. But, since my tank's calcium and alkalinity demands are much greater now then ever - I can see why my calcium and alkalinity is being used a lot faster.
I went to my local welding supply company and filled my 5lb CO2 bottle up for a grand total of *gasp!* $9.90 lol. Under $10 isn't bad for a refill every four to six months. I think I'm willing to pay that. Something I read on the internet said to buy two bottles and switch them out at your convenience, but I think having one bottle for the time being will be enough.
I'll be testing my calcium and alkalinity levels this evening. I may even try my hand at testing magnesium. I don't know yet. lol
All I know is - I'm ready to get some tracking numbers for my Apex and my calcium reactor soon or that online retailer of mine will have some splaining to do.

snakeblitz33

Retested calcium and alkalinity this evening. Ca was 400ppm and alkalinity is at 8dkh.
Now if i can keep it there.
Ill retest tomorrow to see how much calcium my tank has used.

snakeblitz33

I added about 6oz of calcium to my tank this morning and re-tested this evening. Ca = 420ppm. I'll re-test this next Sunday to see exactly how much ppm the tank is using per week.
Not a whole lot of news on the tank as of lately. I mainly cleaned house today and hung out with my daughter. Clean house means more time to clean the tank. I have noticed a little bit of cyano in a couple of the low flow spots on the sandbed. I don't have any kind of clean up crew of any sort, so I may order some pretty soon to help turn over the sandbed. I am going to cut back a bit on my feedings as well - and maybe even fine tune my skimmer. I dunno. A lot going on because of school.
I should be getting a tracking number for my calcium reactor on Monday. If they don't send me one, I will be calling that online retailer back on Tuesday to ask what is up. The Apex Jr. is shipping out of California - and Neptune systems is SLOW at processing orders. They took all of this week and maybe monday or tuesday they MIGHT have it processed and shipped. Since it is shipping out of California to Louisiana - it will take at least a week from then. :( I'm not really happy with how this is going, but like our tanks, I realize I must be patient with dealers if I want deals in the future.
I'm looking to add some caulerpa to my sump pretty soon. I have that ATO here and I am considering going ahead and building my side cabinet pretty soon - which means I'll be adding that 10g reservoir. I may even want a 10g refugium added to the system - I haven't really decided on that just yet.

novahobbies

LOL Boy I know the stage of the game you're in....that limbo period between "set up" and "fully running" can be kinda frustrating. Glad to hear things are moving forward. Even a little progress is better than nothing! How are the fish doing so far?