So who is your college football team?!?

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypt keeper http:///forum/thread/379966/so-who-is-your-college-football-team/20#post_3305788
Consolation bowl? What are you talking about? They played in a BCS bowl. It may not had been the national championship but it was a BCS bowl. National Tv after New years eve. For them little Ol Boise state it doesnt get any sweeter. Now they have their eyes set on bigger things

So they played in a BCS Bowl. So what? In college football, the ONLY thing that matters is their so-called 'national championship'. The Food Court Bowl in Podunk, Mississippi is just as relevent as any other bowl, INCLUDING a BCS Bowl, when it comes to who is Number 1. That's what so stupid about the college football program. College football will never garner any respect until they come up with a true playoff system. The current system is nothing more than who has more funding from their alumni. They buy their votes to get the status they have. Why are the same teams always in the Top 10 every year? If you're some blue-chipper coming out of high school, who would you rather play for? South Carolina St. or Ohio St.? Half the football players in college have the intelligence of a pea. Their major is 'Interdisiplinary Stufies' or 'Physical Education'. They could barely pass High School English, much less Freshman English Comp. All they are there for is to get that Golden Ring to the Pros. And you sit there an idolize them like they're some kind of role model for younger kids.

reefraff

Right now Ohio State and Alabama are 1 & 2. If they win out they are in, no questions asked as of today they would be the only teams who control their own destiny.

crypt keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///forum/thread/379966/so-who-is-your-college-football-team/40#post_3305811
So they played in a BCS Bowl. So what? In college football, the ONLY thing that matters is their so-called 'national championship'. The Food Court Bowl in Podunk, Mississippi is just as relevent as any other bowl, INCLUDING a BCS Bowl, when it comes to who is Number 1. That's what so stupid about the college football program. College football will never garner any respect until they come up with a true playoff system. The current system is nothing more than who has more funding from their alumni. They buy their votes to get the status they have. Why are the same teams always in the Top 10 every year? If you're some blue-chipper coming out of high school, who would you rather play for? South Carolina St. or Ohio St.? Half the football players in college have the intelligence of a pea. Their major is 'Interdisiplinary Stufies' or 'Physical Education'. They could barely pass High School English, much less Freshman English Comp. All they are there for is to get that Golden Ring to the Pros. And you sit there an idolize them like they're some kind of role model for younger kids.

A BCS bowl is what its all about after the National Championship. They are high paying bowl games. In the Multi Millions each school earns for getting picked. Not some Care quest Bowl game. Those games are fun for the kids but you get no money for your school or conference.

You really have no idea what you're talking about. each and every single kid has to meet a certain standard. Its called the NCAA clearing house. They have certain grades and board scores they must attain to become eligable to play D1 football. They also must major in a 4 year degree to maintain eligability throughout plus get a 2.0. Dont act like they are complete idiots. All Incoming freshman must take the standard courses anyway. You would know this if you attended college. You still need your Maths and englishes before moving on. These colleges still have to uphold a certain grade point average value. No idiot is walking through the doors of most of these schools.

You wanna know why the same teams are in the top 10 every year. Its the same reason no mid major has won the NCAA Basketball Championship in any recent time. Its about the athletes that walk through their door. You think Maryland or Washington who play in Major divisions get the same caliber kid as Alabama or USC. UMMM. No. Thats also why you never see those MAJOR schools in the top 10 ever. This really isnt hard to explain. Its like KJR trying to play Golf with Tiger woods. Think of how bad he would get destroyed. They both play the game. Hell KJR runs a golf course and even has videos of him hitting the ball. He is a local superstar. Think Chevy Chase in Caddyshack.

You know what. I do think a ton of these guys. Guys like Tim tebow. The 23 year old Virgin who goes to 3rd world countries on his spring break to help kids in need. I also Think very highly of Players like Mark Ingraham who during a speech in front of 100 people hold back tears of excitement and passion and has been nothing but a huge role model to all kids across the nation. You're right about that. Dont always assume the worse in people little buddy.

crypt keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///forum/thread/379966/so-who-is-your-college-football-team/40#post_3305829
Right now Ohio State and Alabama are 1 & 2. If they win out they are in, no questions asked as of today they would be the only teams who control their own destiny.
You are 100% right and KJR is wrong even though he said the samething. Each team controls their own. At #4 Boise ha s agreat chance. Florida and Alabama will lose a game.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypt keeper http:///forum/thread/379966/so-who-is-your-college-football-team/40#post_3306125

A BCS bowl is what its all about after the National Championship. They are high paying bowl games. In the Multi Millions each school earns for getting picked. Not some Care quest Bowl game. Those games are fun for the kids but you get no money for your school or conference.

You really have no idea what you're talking about. each and every single kid has to meet a certain standard. Its called the NCAA clearing house. They have certain grades and board scores they must attain to become eligable to play D1 football. They also must major in a 4 year degree to maintain eligability throughout plus get a 2.0. Dont act like they are complete idiots. All Incoming freshman must take the standard courses anyway. You would know this if you attended college. You still need your Maths and englishes before moving on. These colleges still have to uphold a certain grade point average value. No idiot is walking through the doors of most of these schools.

You wanna know why the same teams are in the top 10 every year. Its the same reason no mid major has won the NCAA Basketball Championship in any recent time. Its about the athletes that walk through their door. You think Maryland or Washington who play in Major divisions get the same caliber kid as Alabama or USC. UMMM. No. Thats also why you never see those MAJOR schools in the top 10 ever. This really isnt hard to explain. Its like KJR trying to play Golf with Tiger woods. Think of how bad he would get destroyed. They both play the game. Hell KJR runs a golf course and even has videos of him hitting the ball. He is a local superstar. Think Chevy Chase in Caddyshack.

You know what. I do think a ton of these guys. Guys like Tim tebow. The 23 year old Virgin who goes to 3rd world countries on his spring break to help kids in need. I also Think very highly of Players like Mark Ingraham who during a speech in front of 100 people hold back tears of excitement and passion and has been nothing but a huge role model to all kids across the nation. You're right about that. Dont always assume the worse in people little buddy.
Where do you come up with this twisted logic? You just clarified my position about college football. It isn't about the game, IT'S ABOUT THE MONEY. You said it yourself in your first statement. "Who cares about the smaller bowls. The goal is to get to a BCS Bowl. WHERE THE MONEY IS." Now that's a nice way to be a role model. Interdisiplinary Studies is a degree plan. It's a useless plan that would provide a graduate absolutely no opportunities once they did 'graduate' from college, but it's a piece of papaer all the same. 2.0? Dude, that's a 'D' average. You wouldn't call a college student holding a GPA that low an 'idiot'? I'm thinking Animal House.

I didn't say every kid that makes it through his college football career is a bumbling idiot with no asperations past football. There are players like Tebow that do go on to further things besides a career in the NFL. I know several kids that graduated from my daughter's high school that were in the Top 5% of their class. They got full rides to the college of their choice, but almost every one of them stated their only goal in college was to graduate Magna Cum Laude, and have the abilty to pursue their actual goals. The football scholarship just gave them the opportunity to pursue it. HOWEVER, you also have an equal number of dolts whose only reason to get a football scholarship to a Top Tier school is so they can shine in football, and get that million dollar payout in the NFL, NBA, or any other major sport they're good at. So trust me young one, these are plenty of idiots that walk through those doors. Shoot, just look at the number of players in the NFL who never even FINISHED their college degrees. They get drafted their Sophomore or Junior year, and don't bother to finish their useless degree program. Yeaaa, great role models there.

kjr_trig

Seriously, I think the phrase "control own destiny" is a little advanced and obviously very confusing for Crypt. Lets try to avoid using that phrase in this thread...Thanks.

aquaknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///forum/thread/379966/so-who-is-your-college-football-team/40#post_3306172
2.0? Dude, that's a 'D' average. You wouldn't call a college student holding a GPA that low an 'idiot'?
2.0 is a C average...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm
http://40#post_3306172
So trust me young one, these are plenty of idiots that walk through those doors. Shoot, just look at the number of players in the NFL who never even FINISHED their college degrees. They get drafted their Sophomore or Junior year, and don't bother to finish their useless degree program. Yeaaa, great role models there.

So what are you saying? Only 'smart' people, based purely on some arbitrary number (GPA) that has zero meaning in real life, deserve to make real money? The fact that these people possess talent .00005% of Americans have, while millions of people watch your every move, doesn't matter apparently...

reefraff

I've met some pretty lame people with college degrees, something my Stepdad called educated idiots. Big difference between knowledge and wisdom. Somebody who goes to university for a 2.0 is by no means wise.

crypt keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///forum/thread/379966/so-who-is-your-college-football-team/40#post_3306172
Where do you come up with this twisted logic? You just clarified my position about college football. It isn't about the game, IT'S ABOUT THE MONEY. You said it yourself in your first statement. "Who cares about the smaller bowls. The goal is to get to a BCS Bowl. WHERE THE MONEY IS." Now that's a nice way to be a role model. Interdisiplinary Studies is a degree plan. It's a useless plan that would provide a graduate absolutely no opportunities once they did 'graduate' from college, but it's a piece of papaer all the same. 2.0? Dude, that's a 'D' average. You wouldn't call a college student holding a GPA that low an 'idiot'? I'm thinking Animal House.

I didn't say every kid that makes it through his college football career is a bumbling idiot with no asperations past football. There are players like Tebow that do go on to further things besides a career in the NFL. I know several kids that graduated from my daughter's high school that were in the Top 5% of their class. They got full rides to the college of their choice, but almost every one of them stated their only goal in college was to graduate Magna Cum Laude, and have the abilty to pursue their actual goals. The football scholarship just gave them the opportunity to pursue it. HOWEVER, you also have an equal number of dolts whose only reason to get a football scholarship to a Top Tier school is so they can shine in football, and get that million dollar payout in the NFL, NBA, or any other major sport they're good at. So trust me young one, these are plenty of idiots that walk through those doors. Shoot, just look at the number of players in the NFL who never even FINISHED their college degrees. They get drafted their Sophomore or Junior year, and don't bother to finish their useless degree program. Yeaaa, great role models there.

reading this made me laugh. Then the best part where you said a 2.0 is a D average. LOL This shows how much you dont know. a 2.0 is a C average and the lowest possible grade point average you can attain while still playing a sport in college. That statement alone just took all credibility you tried to have and threw it out the window.

I know College football is all about money. Um why else would NBC pay damned near a billion dollars to have the exclusive rights to show Notre Dame games. The difference is. Im okay with it. College football is bigger than the NFL. They have 30 games on every Saturday with Millions attending games and millions more watching the games.

I know you didn't say every kid that makes it through his college football career is a bumbling idiot with no asperations past football. You assumed that I only look up to the ones that didnt.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypt keeper http:///forum/thread/379966/so-who-is-your-college-football-team/40#post_3306241

reading this made me laugh. Then the best part where you said a 2.0 is a D average. LOL This shows how much you dont know. a 2.0 is a C average and the lowest possible grade point average you can attain while still playing a sport in college. That statement alone just took all credibility you tried to have and threw it out the window.

I know College football is all about money. Um why else would NBC pay damned near a billion dollars to have the exclusive rights to show Notre Dame games. The difference is. Im okay with it. College football is bigger than the NFL. They have 30 games on every Saturday with Millions attending games and millions more watching the games.

I know you didn't say every kid that makes it through his college football career is a bumbling idiot with no asperations past football. You assumed that I only look up to the ones that didnt.
C or D, what does it matter? You'd actually be proud of someone who had a 2.0 average? Boy, you set your expectations pretty low. If you came to me looking for a job with anything under a 3.2 GPA out of college, I'd tell you "Thanks, but no thanks". The fact remains these idiots don't go to college looking for an education. They go there to get noticed by NFL scouts. That's their only ticket in. Crypt, you haven't had any credibility on this forum since you've made your first post on this subject, so don't talk. You have some pretty skewed priorities in life if you're "Ok with it" in the fact that some kid with POSSIBLE football skills takes a slot from another student who actually wants to go to college to get an EDUCATION. The top universities only admit so many new students a year. Many of them need that opportunity to get the education they need to get a quality job, instead of flipping burgers at McDonald's, or being a grease monkey at Goodyear. Instead, you'd rather have some steroid-laden brainless dolt have that slot so they can 'entertain' you for 3 months out of the year. And you wonder why businesses in this country outsource their jobs to foreigners.

aquaknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///forum/thread/379966/so-who-is-your-college-football-team/40#post_3306290
C or D, what does it matter? You'd actually be proud of someone who had a 2.0 average? Boy, you set your expectations pretty low. If you came to me looking for a job with anything under a 3.2 GPA out of college, I'd tell you "Thanks, but no thanks". The fact remains these idiots don't go to college looking for an education. They go there to get noticed by NFL scouts. That's their only ticket in. Crypt, you haven't had any credibility on this forum since you've made your first post on this subject, so don't talk. You have some pretty skewed priorities in life if you're "Ok with it" in the fact that some kid with POSSIBLE football skills takes a slot from another student who actually wants to go to college to get an EDUCATION. The top universities only admit so many new students a year. Many of them need that opportunity to get the education they need to get a quality job, instead of flipping burgers at McDonald's, or being a grease monkey at Goodyear. Instead, you'd rather have some steroid-laden brainless dolt have that slot so they can 'entertain' you for 3 months out of the year. And you wonder why businesses in this country outsource their jobs to foreigners.
lmao..... These top universities have an average incoming freshmen class size of over 4,000, closer to 10,000 for the large schools. If that student can't beat out the other 3,970 kids, they really didn't make it anyways, and "having their spots taken" by 30 football freshmen, is pretty invalid.

On top of that, there's a lot to be said if someone is stuck flipping burgers because they didn't get into that magical top school. Yet alone needing a college degree at all, to be successful, which is far from the case.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKnight http:///forum/thread/379966/so-who-is-your-college-football-team/40#post_3306344
lmao..... These top universities have an average incoming freshmen class size of over 4,000, closer to 10,000 for the large schools. If that student can't beat out the other 3,900 kids, they really didn't make it anyways.

On top of that, there's a lot to be said if someone is stuck flipping burgers because they didn't get into that magical top school. Yet alone needing a college degree at all, to be successful, which is far from the case.
You apparently don't live in the real world. When's the last time you tried getting admitted to a top college? The top Texas schools have a state mandate that they have to automatically accept any high school graduate that graduates in the Top 10% of their class. Problem with that, to get in that Top 10%, you have to have at least a 3.6 GPA. I wouldn't ;abel that kid an idiot.

What do you do for a living? If you want to get into the medical profession, legal profession, or practically any Fortune 500 company, you need a college degree before they'll even talk to you. Yea, you may be able to get into the door after going to these vocational or technical institutes, but you won't get far up the ladder once you get in without that piece of paper. Having a degree is more than just obtaining that piece of paper. It shows that you're a dedicated, well rounded individual who was willing to take 5 years out of your life to get that college degree. When I interview individuals for positions in my company, I'll take experience in the field over a college degree any day. But 99% of the people I do employ have at least a BA. Some have Masters. But they used the knowledge they learned from studying in college to attain the cerifications I require they have in order to do the work they need to do while working for me. Can you be successful without a college degree? Absolutely. Is it easier to do without a degree? I don't think so.

reefraff

As I tried to explain to my kid, college demonstrates your trainable so you don't have to start out at the bottom, usually

One of his friends who went and got a degree in business is a bartender. I'm thinking OK, ground floor opportunity working for TGIF's or something. Nope, just a local bar.

aquaknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///forum/thread/379966/so-who-is-your-college-football-team/40#post_3306347
You apparently don't live in the real world. When's the last time you tried getting admitted to a top college? The top Texas schools have a state mandate that they have to automatically accept any high school graduate that graduates in the Top 10% of their class. Problem with that, to get in that Top 10%, you have to have at least a 3.6 GPA. I wouldn't ;abel that kid an idiot.

What do you do for a living? If you want to get into the medical profession, legal profession, or practically any Fortune 500 company, you need a college degree before they'll even talk to you. Yea, you may be able to get into the door after going to these vocational or technical institutes, but you won't get far up the ladder once you get in without that piece of paper. Having a degree is more than just obtaining that piece of paper. It shows that you're a dedicated, well rounded individual who was willing to take 5 years out of your life to get that college degree. When I interview individuals for positions in my company, I'll take experience in the field over a college degree any day. But 99% of the people I do employ have at least a BA. Some have Masters. But they used the knowledge they learned from studying in college to attain the cerifications I require they have in order to do the work they need to do while working for me. Can you be successful without a college degree? Absolutely. Is it easier to do without a degree? I don't think so.

2004, I applied to UCF, Miami, Stetson, and Hawaii. I was accepted at UCF, Stetson, and Hawaii, but didn't into Miami with a 3.7GPA in HS, a 1250 SAT (back when it was out of 1600), and a 27 ACT. Miami said it was from a lack of extracurricular activities. Which was true, besides a year of football and track my freshmen year of highschool, and two summer internships (one was, the other was more like a job the business teacher got me), there wasn't anything else. Enjoyed being a kid that didn't happen to revolve around highschool...

So what are we arguing again? Your stance went from someone absolutely needing an education at only the finest top tier university as the only way to make something of themselves, to being able to become successful without a degree. Granted not as easy, of which I fully agree.

My point is that if you get beat out by 99.3% of the other kids, and your spot is really lost to one of 30 football spots, then you probably shouldn't have gotten into that top tier school anyway. I don't agree with that Texas top 10% mandate and is the first I've heard of such a thing. Top tier schools should only allow X number of students in a year. The tough challenge of getting into those schools, is what makes them top tier. If everyone drove Ferrari's and Porsche's, they wouldn't be special. The fact that a handful of kids might have squeaked in, if that school didn't have a football program, is pretty irrelevant. The schools aren't rejected the cream of crop to allow the football scholarships.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKnight http:///forum/thread/379966/so-who-is-your-college-football-team/40#post_3306359

2004, I applied to UCF, Miami, Stetson, and Hawaii. I was accepted at UCF, Stetson, and Hawaii, but didn't into Miami with a 3.7GPA in HS, a 1250 SAT (back when it was out of 1600), and a 27 ACT. Miami said it was from a lack of extracurricular activities. Which was true, besides a year of football and track my freshmen year of highschool, and two summer internships (one was, the other was more like a job the business teacher got me), there wasn't anything else. Enjoyed being a kid that didn't happen to revolve around highschool...

So what are we arguing again? Your stance went from someone absolutely needing an education at only the finest top tier university as the only way to make something of themselves, to being able to become successful without a degree. Granted not as easy, of which I fully agree.

My point is that if you get beat out by 99.3% of the other kids, and your spot is really lost to one of 30 football spots, then you probably shouldn't have gotten into that top tier school anyway. I don't agree with that Texas top 10% mandate and is the first I've heard of such a thing. Top tier schools should only allow X number of students in a year. The tough challenge of getting into those schools, is what makes them top tier. If everyone drove Ferrari's and Porsche's, they wouldn't be special. The fact that a handful of kids might have squeaked in, if that school didn't have a football program, is pretty irrelevant. The schools aren't rejected the cream of crop to allow the football scholarships.

It only takes the loss of one spot to change the future of some kid wanting to go to the college of their choice. So some kid that barely squeaked through high school, but could run 212 yards a game with a pigskin under his arm should take that spot. Texas schools give credance to kids who excelled in high school academically. UT-Austin has had to resort to taking the Top 8% due to the popularity of that school.

So Miami didn't accept you because you didn't have enough extracurricular activities in high school. Now that's a surprise. Considering the number of illiterate goof balls they've graduated from that college through the years that ended up having a successful career in the NFL, that wouldn't shock me in the least. Isn't Miami known for being one of the Top Party Schools in the nation? So if you would've been in band for your entire career in high school, would that have gotten you into Miami? I wouldn't have counted on it.

monsinour

you all are too young to appreciate the specialness of playing on January 1. Now with all the TV money, its no longer special to play on january1. Hell, its no longer special to play in january. I certainly long for the days of old when making it to a bowl mattered. Now any schlub who goes 6-6 in a decent conference is invited to the weed eater bowl.

Boise has a 1 game schedule and this will sorely hurt them I doubt they make it into the MNC even if they are the only team left undefeated. No way a 1 loss team from the pac-10, big-10(11 soon to be 12), SEC, or Big-12 gets jumped by the smurfs.

BTW, go Buckeyes!!!

OH!

crypt keeper

I was at the game. I had section 126 row 3. The entir egame was right inf ront of us. Great game. They belong in the hunt!

crypt keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///forum/thread/379966/so-who-is-your-college-football-team/40#post_3306290

I just left the Boise State Va Tech. When was the last time you had 86,000 people screaming their head off for something you ever did? Dont be jealous. Without those 3% idiots most colleges would fall flat on their face from lack of funds. College football keeps a top tier college a top tier college. Alumni come back for one thing. SPORTS. The two Biggest. Football and basketball. Its all about money braniac why cant you comprehend this? They pay college coaches $4 million a year to coach and only coach. I believe last year the BSC championship paid out $15,000,000 to each school which they get half and the conference gets the other half. So when that 1 student doesnt get in I dont shed a tear. h ecan still go to a CC and apply again in a year or two.

Oh and some kids with possible talent? negative Ghost rider. They only recruit kids who have talent. They rank high school kids now like they do college kids who enter the NFL draft. They have high school football on ESPN with highly ranked players. This country is all about opportunity. These kids meet certain standards in the classroom. They pass. They take the same tests and have to score high enough to walk in that door and play. Not their fault people are willing to pay them Millions of dollars to play a game. Im just here for the ride and love watching it.