SocalNano24s Tank Diary

socalnano24

Wow, it has been a really long time since I updated here, Nissan you gotta bug me for updates everyonce in a while!
I've started to just let the tank do what its going to do. There is some hair algae and macroalgae growing, and I've got a few emerald crabs and my lawnmower blenny so I'm just letting it be. I think I need to change out my chemi pure again.

Well let me know what you guys think. :)

nissan577

from the first time you started your tank to now i must say what a change it has been.
im sorry about not bugging you but now i will
anyway everything is coming along super! the growth is like WOAH!!!!

i must say it came out super amazing!!!!

socalnano24

Thank you Nissan. You are quite right about the growth the pillar rock is almost covered now. Just took a look back. Tank has almost been set up for a year coming up next month. I'll have yo show a few now and then shots.

socalnano24

yeah no kidding!
Alright update:
Look ma no more hair algae!

They came out to say whats up!
Some of my fancy zoas have starting expanding some more

chaseter

I love the torch. I spent 40 bucks on a torch the other day. I came home and saw my emerald eating from it and then it receded into it's skeleton and died the next day. I think the crab killed it:(

socalnano24

thanks buddy...
So I was looking throgh my old pictures and thought I'd take another top down shot for progress

Its' an amazing perpsective, I'm so stoked ont he monticap

socalnano24

From what I've sen monti's will either encrust (aka form to the rock, or extend out, I have no idea what determines their behavior though) But if they extend they tend to "scroll from what I've observed.
Mine eats ALL of my calicium, its absolutley ridculous, my calcium can go from 450 to 380 in a few weeks just because of the monti's growth if I don't top it off

nikesb

monti caps form the plate montis
monti digitatas have branches
then the encrusting montis follow whatever shape rock theyre on, itd be neat to put it on a dead skeleton of an acropora
also, your cap was probably once a good sized cap and then it was fragged. looks like you received the the base of it which is the reasoning for the scrolling. nice

socalnano24

Cool, Thanks Nike, good to know. When I got the frag it was completley flat and about 3/4" by 2" or so. All the scrolling and curving has come about on its own.
Ok the tank is coming along really well. I've been slowly working on getting my calcium back up, a few weeks ago I noticed it was at 370 and its now back to around 400. Trying to get it up to 460 so I have some buffer. I only add calcium about once a week and I think my monti eats about 2/3rds of what I add in that time.
Here's some new outside shots