Spanko's bio cube, what in Posiden's name is he up to now?

spanko

Okay folks, got back from vacation, sister in law watching tank. Detailed minute by minute instructions left. Little plastic cups filled with food marked for each specific day. Eye dropped marked with level for vodka dosing. etc.etc.etc.
Lost my Helfrichis firefish and my spongodes.
decided to rearrange the tank.
got out the drill, plastic rods, aquastic putty and went to work.
some pictures follow.

meowzer

So this is why I have not left my house in 2 years...LOL....altho your tank after losses still looks better then anything I have :(

posiden

Yea, I have to agree there Spanko. Your tank having issues is still better then my tank has ever thought about looking. You definitely have a blue thumb.

the bro

Dang dude thats a nice tank. I see you got both sps and lps in that tank, how do they get along? I going to be doing the same and dont know alot about it yet. How far away to keep them part from the lps? I hear that lps will release toxin into the water " especially leathers" to kill em, is this true?

spanko

thanx Bro.
Yes you have to be cognizant of the placement of coral especially with a mixed reef. Leathers are not LPS coral they are soft coral. And it is true that they do release toxins. Again placement and filtration is important in setting coral. If you notice my LPS coral are place away from the SPS for the most part, with the exception of the candy canes up to. The fox coral and the maze brain are pretty much on their own. LPS have feeder tentacles that will reach out and sting other coral so it is good to have them away from the rest. The candy can have relatively short feeders and I chose to place them up top above the Monti and see how it goes. If you were to look closely at my sPS you would see that where they are encroaching on each other one will will out over the other and there is some growing over happening.
To me it is the diversity of the reef that is interesting and watching this battle for territory is one of the interesting parts.

the bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/332430/spanko-s-29-bio-cube/660#post_3301041
thanx Bro.
Yes you have to be cognizant of the placement of coral especially with a mixed reef. Leathers are not LPS coral they are soft coral. And it is true that they do release toxins. Again placement and filtration is important in setting coral. If you notice my LPS coral are place away from the SPS for the most part, with the exception of the candy canes up to. The fox coral and the maze brain are pretty much on their own. LPS have feeder tentacles that will reach out and sting other coral so it is good to have them away from the rest. The candy can have relatively short feeders and I chose to place them up top above the Monti and see how it goes. If you were to look closely at my sPS you would see that where they are encroaching on each other one will will out over the other and there is some growing over happening.
To me it is the diversity of the reef that is interesting and watching this battle for territory is one of the interesting parts.

Thanks for the info good to know. btw what kinda salt you use, additives, etc?

spanko

I use Nutri Sea natural seawater for water changes. 5 gals per week or about 20%.
Dosing is
1ml vodka per day
2 drops Brightwell Amino Acids per day
10 ml ESV B-Ionic Calcium daily
10 ml ESV B-Ionic Alkalinity daily
Prodibo Nano Pack weekly
Change filter floss daily
Change Carbon and Phosphate pads weekly
Change ChemiPure Elite and Purigen every 6 months
Change Radium 20k 150 watt HQI bulb every 6 months

And I feed pretty heavily every day.

spanko

Forumla 2 pellets and flakes, frozen mysis, frozen cyclops, frozen cyclopeeze, Rod's food. Once in a while a pinch of Coral Frenzy.

spanko

Have not tested this tank in quite some time but did so this morning.
Calcium 520
Alkalinity 4.0 - 4.5 meqL
Ph 7.8 - 7.9 at 7:30 am
Temp 78º
Sg 1.027
I'll try for some updated pictures later today.

spanko

Not at all. I dose ESV b-ionc 2 part and knew I added a bit too much on Friday. It will come back down. A lot of coral to soak it up in the tank. Not seeing any precip so no big whoops. I targeted 500 when I started dosing anyway.