Spidey's Red Sea Max

okay wow! i just went on the red sea max web site and those things are awesome!!! i want one now haha
when i get out of college im def. gunna get the 66 gallon one. kinda expensive tho!

hlcroghan

I am seriously considering the 66 gallon RSM. Big enough for a small tang and lots of corals. I haven't found how much the pricing is though. Anyone have a general estimate of what one is running these days?? And what do you think of your RSM so far Spidey??

sueandherzoo

Wait -- Red Sea Max is now making a bigger all-in-one unit?!?!?!?!? That has been the ONLY thing keeping me from running out to buy it - the fact that I had really wanted to go bigger than 34 gallons! I think the $700 price on the 34 gallon includes the stand but I could be wrong. I'm off to go check this out!!!!

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by hlcroghan
http:///forum/post/2786126
I am seriously considering the 66 gallon RSM. Big enough for a small tang and lots of corals. I haven't found how much the pricing is though. Anyone have a general estimate of what one is running these days?? And what do you think of your RSM so far Spidey??
I love it! For me the 34 is the absolute largest I wanted because we already have a 75g and 150g reefs. There are other turn key solutions too that are for larger tanks. For the life of me I can't remember now what one of our club guys has.

i have the rsm and i got it for like 500$ plus another like 100$ for the stand but i also was working at my lfs when i bought it so i got a nice little discount : D sadly its currently sitting at home empty and has never been filled ive had it for like a year now. I plan however to fill it asap when i get home from college this weekend (this is why it never was used) and maybe get a little 5g nano for my dorm. I noticed you had an additional pump errr fan (sorry its been about a year and i had the idea to get back into this all the other day so im slowly relearning the names of everything) on the right side, would you recommend u purchase one to increase the flow in the tank or are the 2 built into the top left corner sufficent

spiderwoman

Extra powerhead: yes I love having a good amount of flow in all our tanks and Koralia #1 did nothing for me so I went with the Tunze NanoStream 6025 which produces about 660gph and is still small in size. Also it produces very little heat.

thanks for the info on that other pump, im thinking i might need to get one when i get it up and running. One more question how often are you doing water changes and how much at a time?

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by Freeborder_01
http:///forum/post/2787013
thanks for the info on that other pump, im thinking i might need to get one when i get it up and running. One more question how often are you doing water changes and how much at a time?
I haven't done one yet as the levels are still pristine. The tank has been up for such a short time and there isn't a cycle with mature LR and LS. I'm going to start on Saturday with the water changes and do a weekly one. 15% = 5.1 gallons... that's the size of my water change bucket :)

spanko

Very nice Spidey! The Picasso's are soooooo cute!
I have read a number of threads on the Red Sea and have seen a number of problems with them. How is it going for you, are you happy with the way things are working, ease of maintaing etc?

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2787097
Very nice Spidey! The Picasso's are soooooo cute!
I have read a number of threads on the Red Sea and have seen a number of problems with them. How is it going for you, are you happy with the way things are working, ease of maintaing etc?
Thanks Spanko!
I got very lucky with this tank. Fellow reefer in our club had it setup for 8 months and had all early adopter problems fixed by RSM. For example he had the extra fan installed in the back, new fans installed in the lighting hood, he modded the skimmer with a better pump etc. So he really got it going well. He wanted to concentrate on his big tank and didn't have time for the nano so I got very lucky. Also this reefer is very particular about his equipment and livestock so I felt very safe purchasing it from him.

spanko

Ah, you bought one where someone else had dealt with the original problems first. You are one smart cookie!!!!!

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2787139
Ah, you bought one where someone else had dealt with the original problems first. You are one smart cookie!!!!!
you got that right! I didn't want to spend $800 + shipping on just the tank and stand and then run into problems right away. Yeah I've spent that and some with the whole setup now, but at least if I have any problems I know who to call and he will then contact RSM and get things done under warranty.

blazin2k6

WoW Just looked at your entired thread and simply amazing :) Love the beauutiful shots. Looks great. Where are the pics of the yashia goby ? I have one in each of my nano tanks and i love em. They are awesome. I rarely see them except when i put some food in my tank but they are aweesome to watch still ! Goodluck and i am jealous of all those great zoas. But i have some awesome acans LOL.

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by Blazin2k6
http:///forum/post/2787246
WoW Just looked at your entired thread and simply amazing :) Love the beauutiful shots. Looks great. Where are the pics of the yashia goby ? I have one in each of my nano tanks and i love em. They are awesome. I rarely see them except when i put some food in my tank but they are aweesome to watch still ! Goodluck and i am jealous of all those great zoas. But i have some awesome acans LOL.
Hehe Thanks! You sure do have some awesome Acan's! Mine are all hidden in the bigger reef.
I did get some pics earlier today of the Yashia and you are right, the only time he is out is when it's feeding time. He seems to already know when I'm about to feed them. He also took interest in the clowns last night. He'd hover on the sand looking at the clowns swimming back and forth. It was funny!