Start of one "BIG" SPS tank

goodwin9

OUCH!...Just got the first months electric bill with the tank up and running. Up $80.00 over the previous month..Mostly equipment I would guess, but the central air has been running in the basement too..even with the window open........ :scared:

reefboys

Ah Goodwin you should have told me you were lookin for a Sohal! I have one thats absolutely beautiful thats about 6 inches. Unfortuneately she was pickin on the Clown Tang so I had to take her to the LFS that I work at. If ya ever make it up to Fargo, let me know and maybe we can try to hook you up.

jdennysgir

I don't know much at all about tanks, but it seems that current is really turbulent. Can there be too much turbulence? How can the fish ever rest if they are always fighting that? Just trying to learn, thanks. AWESOME SETUP

goodwin9

Originally Posted by jdennysgir
I don't know much at all about tanks, but it seems that current is really turbulent. Can there be too much turbulence? How can the fish ever rest if they are always fighting that? Just trying to learn, thanks. AWESOME SETUP
I wonder myself..I do shut off several of the pumps during feeding. Most of the flow is directed towards the front of the tank and over the rock formations for the corals. The back portion of the tank is fairly calm compared to the rest of the tank.

wangotango

Originally Posted by cjason3041
yah i think he supliments with wave energy.
thats a good idea. put in a hydro-turbine. hmm :thinking: .
-Justin

el bob

i have found that a vital part of keeping a health and successful SPS tank is to have perfect water quality with very little waste. Dont u think that all of thise fish will produce a large amount of it as well as the food that you will have to feed them??

goodwin9

Originally Posted by El Bob
i have found that a vital part of keeping a health and successful SPS tank is to have perfect water quality with very little waste. Dont u think that all of thise fish will produce a large amount of it as well as the food that you will have to feed them??
I am pretty confident that the filtration system, over sized skimmer, and large refugium is capable of handling the bio load in the system. Water still isn't perfect and am hopeful that it will improve as time progresses. I guess time will tell.......

grubsnaek

excellent tank man, damn, major kudos. before i seen your tank i thought about all the things i want,
now after seeing your tank, my tank is fine for now. when i buy a house then yes i will go insane like you did, just one question.
did you ever fear the ick plague do to all the fish, more than the rest the tangs.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by goodwin9
OUCH!...Just got the first months electric bill with the tank up and running. Up $80.00 over the previous month..Mostly equipment I would guess, but the central air has been running in the basement too..even with the window open........ :scared:
I'm not looking forward to our electric bill this summer. Here in Phoenix it was 99 yesterday!! :scared: We've had record breaking heat for the last 5 days, AND IT'S NOT EVEN SPRING YET! OK, on Wednesday, BUT STILL!!! Our AC has been running big time as I keep it at 78 now because of the tanks. Luckily we have our bill spread out over the entire year, after the first year of living here and having our electric bill over $300 per month in the summer. :scared: Now it's $167/month, but after having my tank set up I'm sure the rate is going to go up after they figure out I'm using more.
BTW, your tank is looking fabulous! :cheer:

quakstar

I have been watching your post for a while now... It is just one of the most amazing thiings i have ever seen a tank so big that fish actually school... I just hope one day when i wake up my 72 bow front has turned into something like a 600-1000 gallon i have my one big toy up for sale or trade right now if anyone wants to trade a big set up for a 95 wrangler... sorry for the advertiseing but again.
most amazing personal tank i believe i have ever saw keep up the hard work and the good posts

goodwin9

Originally Posted by grubsnaek
excellent tank man, damn, major kudos. before i seen your tank i thought about all the things i want,
now after seeing your tank, my tank is fine for now. when i buy a house then yes i will go insane like you did, just one question.
did you ever fear the ick plague do to all the fish, more than the rest the tangs.
Thank you! I was a little worried about an out break adding some many fish at one time. I must have gotten lucky as I only have lost 2 Clarkii clowns, the cleaner wrasses, and Powder Blue Tang. The Powder Blue was due to harasment from the other Powder Blue, not disease.

threed240

Originally Posted by Quakstar
I have been watching your post for a while now... It is just one of the most amazing thiings i have ever seen a tank so big that fish actually school... I just hope one day when i wake up my 72 bow front has turned into something like a 600-1000 gallon i have my one big toy up for sale or trade right now if anyone wants to trade a big set up for a 95 wrangler... sorry for the advertiseing but again.
most amazing personal tank i believe i have ever saw keep up the hard work and the good posts
I'd have to sell a kidney, or something, to have a 1000g tank. I have a 55g that I have spent well over $2000 on so far, and Im just getting started...I have to say its more addictive than crack, although I've never tried crack? Hmm... :notsure:

goodwin9

I am wondering if I can get some help out there. I am trying to get a live web cam image of the tank posted on my new website I am setting up for this tank. If you go to my profile, there is a link to the website I am currently working on. Near the top, there is a link to the live web cam. Some browsers I have been told can not view the live image. If you can check this out for me, let me know if you can connect, and what OS and browser you are using. Thanks for your help!