Startin up a 24gal AqPod Reef

paintballer768

Hi everyone, just giving a quick update. Just a few minutes ago, I ordered my 150 watt Sunpod metal halides!!! and I also ordered a Maxijet 900 and Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt mix. So after taking everyone's advice, Im finally going to start mixing (RO/DI water of course). I cant thank you all enough for the help!!

paintballer768

Originally Posted by peef
Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo For The Mh!!!!!!!!
Oh yea!!! I went to some new LFS's yesterday, and one is selling about 10 frags of orange monti cap for 15$each, 2 small heads of hammer coral for 15$ each, and a very tiny maxima clam for 60$. One of those is going to be my first addition.

peef

Wait wait wait, do you mean 10 frags of monti for $15 each or for all of them? You should pick one up! I love my monticap, it grows so fast. I swear that I can see noticible growth every day.

perfectdark

Good deal on the MH set up... I am looking at the Viper 2 150 watt clamp on for my Cube. I like the sunpod set up but my concern is heat and cooling. I dont want to get a chiller and with the clamp on light I can have it farther away from the water so the heat transfer wont be too much.
Post pics when the lights are up an running......

paintballer768

Originally Posted by peef
Wait wait wait, do you mean 10 frags of monti for $15 each or for all of them? You should pick one up! I love my monticap, it grows so fast. I swear that I can see noticible growth every day.
15$ per frag. Very well priced! I went back and read what I said and edited it. Mi no speek gewd engrish.
Originally Posted by PerfectDark

Good deal on the MH set up... I am looking at the Viper 2 150 watt clamp on for my Cube. I like the sunpod set up but my concern is heat and cooling. I dont want to get a chiller and with the clamp on light I can have it farther away from the water so the heat transfer wont be too much.
Post pics when the lights are up an running......
I read somewhere that a person bought these and was no happy with them. If they dont work, Im sure you could refund them, but its a little bit of a hassle.
I think the fan blowing across the water should solve any problems concerning heat that I may have. Also the lights could also serve as a heating device if it ever gets too cold, which I dont intend on ever happening.
And you know Ill upload pictures

paintballer768

Well, THE LIGHTS ARE HERE!!!!!! I swear its so much brighter than what I had before, like inredibly brighter. Installation was a cake walk, hood removal was a pain in my arse. Pictures tomorrow.
Im going to get RODI water tomorrow, along with the clamp-on fan to hopefully prevent any heat issues. I recommend these lights to anyone and everyone. My corals had elongated at the stalk a bit to get light, tonite theyre a lot shorter and look to be more comfortable, which is great.

paintballer768

The 5$ Montipora cap!

Another montipora angle.

Monster Ricordea. I grew him from the size of a nickel.

Ricordeas get photo-shy too....

And finally. Proof that Im starting to mix my own water!!!

paintballer768

New Pictures because I tinkered with the aquascape a little.

It doesnt look so good because its in the morning but...

Baby mushrooms!!! Im a father!!

He's a little closer to the light now, and this is where he will stay.

Started with 5 polyps....Im up to 19 now.

Started with 2 polyps...Im up to 13 now.

perfectdark

Looking good paint

The best pic of them all was the power head mixing your water

LOL seriously everything looks good. keep it up.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2460990
Looking good paint

The best pic of them all was the power head mixing your water

LOL seriously everything looks good. keep it up.
Haha thanks! Just trying to work on keeping levels consistently well right now so that I can add more SPS down the road. Trying to get my tanks calcium cycle and stuff down for the future (Like without testing, you just know after two weeks on a wednesday to add ___ amount of calcium supplement and such.)

paintballer768

Well, Ive got news to report. I tested my nitrates 2 weeks ago, and they came in at 30 all of the sudden. Ive been doing 2 changes a week ever since, and managed to get them lowered to 20 (5 gallon change every time was not very effective). I just did a 10 gallon all at once change, and will do another 5 gallons today some time. Simple math tells me that it should be down to around the 10 region, which is good news until I get them lower to about the 5 range, where Ill be comfortable with them.
I just bought a 3" crocea clam which is right now acclimating. In order to boost my mood from the upcoming valentines day, I treated myself with it. It was in QT at the LFS for 2 weeks, and should do well in my system if it can survive that crap heap for so long. Pics once its comfy

paintballer768

Couldnt resist. Dont mind the white on the mantle, its just some sand that is yet to work its way off.

I think this one is doing better. Its coloring up more towards a light pink.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by paintballer768
http:///forum/post/2470231
Couldnt resist. Dont mind the white on the mantle, its just some sand that is yet to work its way off.

I think this one is doing better. Its coloring up more towards a light pink.

Very nice! You just had to get it before me though.
Cant wait till I get mine.

paintballer768

I decided that I need to get rid of my sun coral as well. Its a nitrate source like crazy, and starting to show recession because I feed it weekly now, so unfortunately Im going to sell it. To the LFS it goes...

paintballer768

Ok update...
1) Sold the sun coral
2) Just got new frags!! Two heads of purple tipped hammer, small frag of some kinda acropora, and what I think is either a frilly shroom or a St Thomas Ricordea. (sold to me as a "red ricordea anemone").
Pictures once they open up and get aquainted.