stocklist for a 100g

btldreef

I would wait on the Pink Tail Trigger or any other fish, especially a larger one until you get more rock and a skimmer. You've added a lot of fish in a short period of time, you don't want to stress your fish or shock your tank. Pink Tails are fairly common, I'm sure you'll come across one again, and possibly a smaller one which would be better suited for your tank.

skate020

ok cool, i'll wait a while,
im thinking about it, they have a pink tail trigger at a good size, and they've got a white tailed trigger a little bit bigger, when it comes around to it, which one do you think i should buy?

btldreef

Originally Posted by skate020
http:///forum/post/3266862
ok cool, i'll wait a while,
im thinking about it, they have a pink tail trigger at a good size, and they've got a white tailed trigger a little bit bigger, when it comes around to it, which one do you think i should buy?
The only thing I know about triggers is which ones are "reef safe" or safer than others. I like the looks of the Pink Tail more, but you already have the darker trigger in the Niger.

skate020

yehh its very much like the pink tail except the colour of the tail and the nose is like the one of a humu humu.
looks really cool, just the shop wants abit much for it,
but i'll see

skate020

on one side of the tank i've got a little like 24w light just to light it up untill i can get some decent lights, and on the other side like a 80w t5 unit
and on the side with the 80w there is one dry rock, as apposed to the other with like 3 dry rocks in it,
anyways, the one rock under the 80w light is COVERED in coraline:)
REALLY need to get some more rock in there tho, didnt have time this weekend, so i might try to do it tomorrow

skate020

right, thinking of shapes to use for moulds for the rock,
im thinking one massive rectangle so it can rest along the floor and go quite high in the tank for frags to be put on, so in months to come when the frags grow it'll look awesome?
and i'll try make some branched rock and some just like, boulders too:)
hopefully i can get this to look good:)
cement is being made on saturday, then leaving one week for it to soak, then 3-4weeks for it to cure.

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3268731
right, thinking of shapes to use for moulds for the rock,
im thinking one massive rectangle so it can rest along the floor and go quite high in the tank for frags to be put on, so in months to come when the frags grow it'll look awesome?
and i'll try make some branched rock and some just like, boulders too:)
hopefully i can get this to look good:)
cement is being made on saturday, then leaving one week for it to soak, then 3-4weeks for it to cure.
Sounds good. Good luck with it

skate020

i added a toadstool yesterday because the LFS had it up for grabs CHEAP, and i also bought some hermits, and the trigger, and angels all dont go near the coral, but the hermit, they cant get enough of, they havent eaten any but i always see the shells in the triggers mouth as he swims the length og the tank with them in his mouth and drops them, then the hermit will scurry to a rock and the process happens again.
didnt get round to making the rock yet, sand around here is too expensive for me to use it for something that potentially could go wrong, so im ordering some on ---- tomorrow, and with give it ago with that. im ordering 50kg of sand so im thinking around 70kg of rock will come out of this. so if theres too much i'll put a load more in my sump, only about 10kg in there atm :/

skate020

and im thinking of ordering some t5s tomorrow or tuesday, which should i get, 6x 54W at 120cm, to go in the middle or 4 x 80W 150cm unit?

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3269669
and im thinking of ordering some t5s tomorrow or tuesday, which should i get, 6x 54W at 120cm, to go in the middle or 4 x 80W 150cm unit?
You'll be able to do more color combinations with the 6x54 unit. But since this is mainly a FOWLR either should do since they're almost the same wattage.

skate020

i went with the 6x 54w unit, ordered it last night so should be here sometime this week:)
then over the month or so period of where the LR is being cured and stuff i won't add anything to the tank, then when it is finally in the tank i will add a few corals:)
my niger doesnt pay the slightest bit of interest in the toadstool so hopefully he may be reef safe o_O would be a bonus if he is:) then angels dont go near it either.
my emperror has been acting abit weird actually, he floats by the air outlet drifting back an forth near it and occasionally goes into it gets swooped upwards then he'll come down and do it again. he does this quite often but most of the he is at the front.

btldreef

My mandarin does something similar. He constantly fights the current to get up near the powerhead and then rides the waves across the tank like he's body surfing. He'll do it for hours.

skate020

my emperror and queen both have had their fins demolished, im not sure whether its a parasite or aggresion.
they dont at all seem to be aggressive so i think its a parasite, could've been introduced by the toadstool i bought :(
i've put all the LR and coral into a bucket with a light and some flow and a heater, and the tank is going under hypo. only the angels have damaged fins tho:/
i'll upload some pics later

btldreef

Post pics up in the disease section quickly. I doubt that the toadstool introduced added the parasite. This sounds like malnutrtion or aggression to me or a combination of the two, but I'm not an expert. What are you feeding?
Leave the lights off for a day or two and re-arrange the rock work to see if that helps at all. It honestly could be your trigger as well?
When you add corals, do you dip them?
Hypo might not fix the issue, you really need to figure out what's going on. Hypo doesn't hurt, but it's probably not going to cure what's going on. And any rock/corals you have in there are going to no longer be live when it's all done.

skate020

i feed meaty foods once a day and then angel formula once day, the angel formula has sponges in it.
the trigger doesnt seem to be aggresive at all, all the LR and coral is in a bucket atm so the hypo can go on without killing anything.
and yes i dip the coral before adding
i've got the tank down to 1.014 so a couple more water changes will get it down to 1.009.
i havent been adding any garlic for a while cos i ran out so im going to buy some of that tomorrow, and i'll try buy a fresh sponge which i could give them to try get a quick recovery,
can you frag sponges by slicing them?

skate020

my new lights came:)
here are some pics of the lights and of the angels.
its hard to see their fins but you can see the damage on the tail

btldreef

That looks like aggression. They're probably nipping each other, or someone else is nipping them. My guess is it's them doing it to each other, but it could possibly be the trigger. My two dwarfs fought horrendously for two weeks and then one day it just stopped.
Just make sure you're adding vitamins to their food and even to the tank can help (although algae tends to grow quicker when adding vitamins directly to the tank). I really don't know that much about sponge. I stay away from them since most of the ones sold in LFS's around here die within a week or two. I believe there is a proper way to frag them, but I don't know what it is.
If you're adding a good vitamin to the food, it should be enough. I don't feed mine straight sponge. If you're feeding pellets and flakes, try to find a frozen cube (like Hikari Angel Formula) to feed instead. I've always seen better results with frozen and fresh vs. dry foods.
Good luck with the new lights!

skate020

thanks, yehh its deffinately aggresion, i just need to find out if its from the angels or the trigger, i woke up this morning and a small chunk was missing from the emperror, like the corner near its anus. and its quite a raged cut so its more likely the trigger, the queen may be able to take the fins off, but actual flesh their jaw really cant be strong enough for that can it?
and the new lights are AWESOME!
soo bright and the LED moonlights give the shimmering blue effect when i turn them on before i shut all lights off completely.
and yehh i feed total frozen, no dry foods, i just need to buy some more vitimins, but the luck is against me atm.
i need to wait for the 9th to get some money from work, and my car got stolen so i need to wait for the cheque from my insurance to clear and then get a new car and all this rubbish. so may be a little while untill i can add some extra vitimins and truthfull untill the angels will heal, i'll tr lose the trigger to someone with a nice big tank too, unless this sorts itself out