stocklist for a 100g

skate020

AHHHH the lion ate frozen todayy!!!!:)
he didnt want it at first but was well aware of it, like edgeing towards it then not going for it, then i'd flick it up with a stick and he'd go for it, so i done that untill he ate it:)
i need some more powerheads in there, should i get them first or the skimmer?

btldreef

Originally Posted by skate020
http:///forum/post/3254657
AHHHH the lion ate frozen todayy!!!!:)
he didnt want it at first but was well aware of it, like edgeing towards it then not going for it, then i'd flick it up with a stick and he'd go for it, so i done that untill he ate it:)
i need some more powerheads in there, should i get them first or the skimmer?
YAY!!!! Congrats to you!
Um ... Skimmer, because if he's eating frozen, you're going to put him in the DT soon, right?

skate020

right, although i have just put the angels in, so it'll be 3-4 weeks.
ok cool, skimmer on the 9th hopefully.
how many powerheads should i get overall?
4 koralia 4's? is that enough?
like one pointing up in one corner, and the same in the other corner, then one pointing down either side of the overflow box?
or two on each of them?

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3254754
right, although i have just put the angels in, so it'll be 3-4 weeks.
ok cool, skimmer on the 9th hopefully.
how many powerheads should i get overall?
4 koralia 4's? is that enough?
like one pointing up in one corner, and the same in the other corner, then one pointing down either side of the overflow box?
or two on each of them?
Yeah, but the Lion has been in QT for quite a long time. I'd give him another week or so to be positive he's on frozen and then add him. That would give you enough time between adding the angels and him so it should be okay, especially if you're adding the skimmer as well. Just keep an eye on the clowns once you add the lion.
With the powerheads, every tank is different. I honestly don't know how to comment because I have a reef tank with tons of rock work and you're going to have a completely different layout.

skate020

fair enough, yeh sure i'll give the lion a go in about a week:), maybe abit longer, he has a fungus on his fin, i started treating with copper two days ago, if its gone in a week and stuff he'll go in, i'll give him a fresh water dip just before too :)
ok, i'll get 4 powerheads to start with, and if i need more i'll get more, dont want to do it the other way round and find i have way too many and lose money.
getting some LED lights too, atm i have some single bulb 54w t5 just to allow it to be alit lol, so im going to get a load of LEDs in there, how many of them am i going to need to support a basic BTA?

skate020

i tested my water just now and i was pleasently supprised with the results
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
2.5 nitrate
8.3pH
and exactly the same for the DT except the nitrate is 3.0 in the DT
not bad.
i tried to give the lion more frozen aswell, just now, and he took it, but he's VERY aggresive, when the food was OFF the stick, he was biting the stick, again and again, weird?
but, im happy about the frozen and the test:)

skate020

he might be, i will offer him some more tomorrow untill he stops, then it'll be the normal routine of feeding monday, wednesday, and friday.
do you have any info on the LED lights and corals?
are they any good for them?
i wanted to get some nova extreme 4x 54w unit but in england there near impossible to come across.

btldreef

try looking at wavepoints. They're usually a little cheaper than the nova's, but a nice fixture. If I remember correctly, you have a deep tank and may have some issues with getting light all the way through to the bottom.
The only LED lighting info I have is AcanLighting.com. or something to that affect. I've seen them in person and they grow amazing corals and bring out some really nice colors. They are very expensive though.
I don't know if you should go crazy with lighting until you know whether or not your angels are going to be reef safe.

skate020

ok cool, yeh good point. i'll have a look at that website, i'll buy a rock with a couple zoas on them next time im at the LFS and see how they get on, then if there ok i'll get some torch coral and maybe some xenia and stuff.
yehh the tanks 2ft deep, so it'll be abit hard to get it to the bottom, but im sure i can do it, i've found a few LED's that can be submerged, if i can hide them someway and point them at the corals without blinding people as the look in i may submerge them, if not i'll just go for quantity.

btldreef

The submergable LEDs usually have no PAR value or very little and will therefore be absolutely useless to your corals. They're meant to just add color and lighting effects to the tank.
My tank is 2 1/2 ft deep so I know how hard it is to get light to reach the bottom. You really may want to consider metal halides. MUCH cheeper than an LED system that is going to do the same.

skate020

ok cool, maybe i should, but im not sure were to find them, and i know little about them.
wat are nova extreme's like?
if i got like a 4x t5 54w one, think that'll be ok for just lighting effect and maybe a couple corals?
the tank is only 18" wide so i cant relly fit much more then 4 bulbs under the hood.
the only problem there is where im supposed to find a nova extreme in the UK.
is there any halide make you could swerve me in the way of if i get them

btldreef

If you're set on the Nova, look on e bay. Current USA, the maker of Nova, sells refurbished fixtures fir like 1/3-1/2 the price and offers a warranty.
I don't know ic you'll have enough lighting except for up top. Are you still considering an anemone? If you're still interested in keeping a RBTA, you might be in trouble with that lighting.
As for halides, I have a Coralife fixture (forgot which model, I think it is the Aqualight Pro). It has 3 halides, 4 power compacts and 4 moonlights on a 72" fixture. Now, this is more than you need, but they do make other models, which are all decent IMO.
You can save obey if you decide to do a. DIY kit. They're not that involved and I was going to go that route if I had not received a great deal on the Coralife fixture.

btldreef

If you're set on the Nova, look on e bay. Current USA, the maker of Nova, sells refurbished fixtures fir like 1/3-1/2 the price and offers a warranty.
I don't know ic you'll have enough lighting except for up top. Are you still considering an anemone? If you're still interested in keeping a RBTA, you might be in trouble with that lighting.
As for halides, I have a Coralife fixture (forgot which model, I think it is the Aqualight Pro). It has 3 halides, 4 power compacts and 4 moonlights on a 72" fixture. Now, this is more than you need, but they do make other models, which are all decent IMO.
You can save obey if you decide to do a. DIY kit. They're not that involved and I was going to go that route if I had not received a great deal on the Coralife fixture.

skate020

ok cool, i have searched a few halide and i think im going to go for them,
i have indeed seen these DIY kits and if i dont get a good deal on halides then i will go down that route, im not going to pay over £1,000 for the lights.
will i need a ballast for each light or could i get a 3 unit ballast in one?
and i am still thinking of a RBTA, but im not going near one anytime soon

btldreef

Usually with halides, its one bulb per ballast, but there could be a brand out there that does more than one.
If you decide on halides, go with the double ended HQI ones, they're slowly phasing out the single ended (mogul) models.

skate020

yehh i will do,
and as for my lion, i dont think he'll be going into the tank anytime soon....
woke up yesterday and he'd lost 4 fins, and his back by where his spikes came out look asthough something eaten a hole through it, and he's a mess.
only thing in the tank dont have a clue wats going on?
i've used copper incase its a parasite,
hopefully he'll pull through:/ he was fine the night before and then suddenly went terrible :/

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3256845
yehh i will do,
and as for my lion, i dont think he'll be going into the tank anytime soon....
woke up yesterday and he'd lost 4 fins, and his back by where his spikes came out look asthough something eaten a hole through it, and he's a mess.
only thing in the tank dont have a clue wats going on?
i've used copper incase its a parasite,
hopefully he'll pull through:/ he was fine the night before and then suddenly went terrible :/
Take some pics and talk to Cranberry. I believe copper and lionfish don't always mix. There's a thread on the forums about this right now. I'd definitely get some pics up in the disease forum ASAP so Beth and Cranberry can address the issue.