stocklist for a 100g

btldreef

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3161632
Mandarins are resistant not immune
to ich. They can still get it in their gills.
Very true.
IMO, it is highly unlikely that there is enough parasite in your tank to actually harm the mandarin and get in it's gills, but there's always a chance. The reason I'm suggesting that you don't but the mandarin the QT is because you have NO rock in there for it to pick on AND you are trying to place a lot of fish in a very small QT, but you have to do what you have to do right now. I'd keep the mandarin the the DT if it were me.
Good luck with the ICH battle. I'm so glad I haven't had to deal with it *knocks on wood*

skate020

yehh i am going to take the advice, yeh crypts advice could be risky in a 55g with two dwarfs but with a 100g two dwarfs should be fine,
i've researched that 1 full sized angel could live in a 100g but they prefer longer tanks and like to have ATLEAST 5ft swimming length,
so yehh, i think my stocklist will be as followed:
1x flame angel
1x bi-color angel
1x maroon clown
1x manderin
1x yellow tang
4x green chromis (if its ok?)
that sound like a better stocklist for the 100g crypt and BTL?

browniebuck

if you add both angels at the same time...you should be ok...not sure how you would QT them (if you put them both in a smaller tank...nearly certain rumble).
I would just have a plan in place as to what to do if the angels don't get along...either have your QT available for whichever one you want out of the DT (your least favorite of the two...or in my case, whichever one you could catch!)
You could also change out the chromis and put in a few cardinals or possibly a male and 2 female anthias of some sort (most suggest only one unless tank is 125 or larger...but I think that if you provide enough hiding places for them, you should be able to do it).

skate020

ok thens yeh, with the QT on them i'll seperate the tank with some plastic egg crate things.
atleast then they cant fight, and i can introduce them at the same time in the DT,
yeh maybe, i shall search around for a schooling fish that can be compatible with them fish:),
still abit miffed about the niger jumping, but tbh, a niger in a 10g is un-natural, so yehh, still a shame tho.

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by browniebuck
http:///forum/post/3162020
I am going to tell you to be careful with CryptKeeper's fish list because it has 2 dwarf angels on it. I was one of the few that was successful with more than one dwarf in my 55 (nearly a year before a heater malfunction killed one), but after losing one I tried it again and had to take my tank apart to get one out to avoid another death.
I would never say get two dwarfs in a 55. Flat out too small. a 125 gallon that is 5 feet long it should work just fine.

browniebuck

Crypt...I didn't say that you said a 55 was fine, I said that my experience showed success in a 55. What I did say was that you still need to be prepared for aggression from 2 angels. My LFS has told me flat out that if I were to get 2 dwarfs in my 125 (6 feet) that I would be at 50-50 odds (and he is trying to sell me fish). What I am trying to do is make sure that if he does decide to get 2 dwarf angels that he has a plan in place in case he needs to get one out of the tank...notice I said to be careful, not don't do it.

btldreef

I think that is a much better and much safer list ... You're going to put your Asfur in this tank as well, right?

crypt keeper

the asfur is a slow growing angel. It will be okay in that set up for a year or two. Take one of the dwarfs away. I was talking about the blueface. The rest of that list is solid.
Chromis will kill each other top establish dominance. Its a waste of money. try the Blue chromis

skate020

yehh i'll get a flame or bi-color thens, with the asfur it'll be ok for a couple of years:) i'll get a marroon nd yeh like some blue chromis or something:) will a foxface bee too big if i have;
1x asfur
1x bi-color/flame angel
1x maroon clown
1x foxface
4x blue chromis
So with that stocklist will a foxface be ok? Or too big, if so could i swap with a yellow tang?
Havent seen how the fish are gettin on cos im in tenerife, been here since tuesdsy, hopefully there coool:) my lil bro is looking after them for now

skate020

my asfur died:( the 10g i had all the fish in crashed, to bigger bioload on it, so i put all the fish back into my 23g, im goingto take everything outthe 10g and start it again, cycle it and so on, i want to try this s.g. To 1.009 again, should i put the water straight to that? Then should i add like 1 fish a day so the bioload is less sudden? Or should i try a different route to getting rid of the disease?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

btldreef

Originally Posted by skate020
http:///forum/post/3165047
my asfur died:( the 10g i had all the fish in crashed, to bigger bioload on it, so i put all the fish back into my 23g, im goingto take everything outthe 10g and start it again, cycle it and so on, i want to try this s.g. To 1.009 again, should i put the water straight to that? Then should i add like 1 fish a day so the bioload is less sudden? Or should i try a different route to getting rid of the disease?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry to hear that, but I was pretty sure it would happen. It was just too much for that size tank to handle.
Anyways, you can't just throw fish into hyposalinity. You need to slowly lower the specific gravity over time. Tossing a fish straight into hypo is like throwing you in a room with 20% oxygen, you're going to have issues.
I really, REALLY think that you need to get your tank under control. There is still ich in your 23G, so leave it fishless, especially since you'll get getting a new tank. If you leave if fishless until you get your new tank, there won't be ich in it any longer, even without lower the SG in the tank and killing your LR and corals. If there's no fish in it, there's nothing for the parasite to feed on and over time it will die. Then once you get the new tank, cycle it correctly and add fish, SLOWLY, much slower than you added fish to your 23G or you'll have issues again for sure.

cranberry

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3165051
Anyways, you can't just throw fish into hyposalinity. You need to slowly lower the specific gravity over time. Tossing a fish straight into hypo is like throwing you in a room with 20% oxygen, you're going to have issues.
I don't slowly lower my fish to hypo. It's easy for their systems to adjust to the slower salinity. Going back up needs to be slow. If a fish is having problems like increased work of breathing, it actually makes this process easier on them. Just merely saying my group and I have no problems dropping to a hypo solution. I've done it at least 50 times myself.

skate020

ok, my mums buying my bro a new tank, so i can have the 10g as a qt, the fish i asked to be put bavk into the 23g cos they can live 4 days in that with ich easily, they cant inthat 10g it was so cloudy you could barely see the fish, so i'll get some RO water and fill it up to S.G 1.009 i'll then do some research to see if the fish can be put straight into that, if they cant, i'll add more salt, then lower s.g slowly
That should get my tank under control

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3165055
I don't slowly lower my fish to hypo. It's easy for their systems to adjust to the slower salinity. Going back up needs to be slow. If a fish is having problems like increased work of breathing, it actually makes this process easier on them. Just merely saying my group and I have no problems dropping to a hypo solution. I've done it at least 50 times myself.
With sick fish, yes, but I think he's referring to doing this with new fish he's planning on buying. Don't you think that is too much stress?

cranberry

Nope. Not IMO. It's easier for their body to process the hypo water.... easier than it is to regulate saltwater. I'm not making a recommendation, just saying it doesn't have to be the gradual decline.
NOTE: But it does have to be a gradual return to normal from being down that low.
Fish are hyposaline in comparison to NSW environments. That's why it's easy for them to go to hypo but not from hypo back up.

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3165111
Nope. Not IMO. It's easier for their body to process the hypo water.... easier than it is to regulate saltwater. I'm not making a recommendation, just saying it doesn't have
to be the gradual decline.
NOTE: But it does have to be a gradual return to normal from being down that low.
Fish are hyposaline in comparison to NSW environments. That's why it's easy for them to go to hypo but not from hypo back up.

Thanks for the info. Luckily I haven't had any fish issues where I've needed to do hypo yet. I've just always been told to do a gradual decrease AND increase unless they're sick. I definitely trust your opinion more than the people that have told me the other info though.

cranberry

There are peeps to argue it both ways.... I'm just one. If they are sick, and this is the treatment of choice, I think a delay by lowering it slowly is harmful and a waste of valuable time. If they aren't sick, it doesn't make a difference one way or the other, I guess. Do a search on osmoregulation and physiological adaptation and you can see just how easy it is for them to go hypo. There were some studies done with measurement of the stress hormone and hypo.... I don't recall the name on that one.... but it's out there.

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3165127
There are peeps to argue it both ways.... I'm just one. If they are sick, and this is the treatment of choice, I think a delay by lowering it slowly is harmful and a waste of valuable time. If they aren't sick, it doesn't make a difference one way or the other, I guess. Do a search on osmoregulation and physiological adaptation and you can see just how easy it is for them to go hypo. There were some studies done with measurement of the stress hormone and hypo.... I don't recall the name on that one.... but it's out there.
Thanks :) I'll have to look for that. I'm a nerd, I like reading all of that stuff.

skate020

ok, i'll do that, is it not 3weeks they need to stay in there for? Should i put another filter in there aswell, so the bioload is less great,
Also is this a suitable stock for a 100g now, been messed about abit;
1x flame angel
1x bi-color angel
1x volitans (now the trigger has gone)
1x marroon clown (big clown, small lion)
If i buy a small lion. Nd a big marroon will they work?