Subielover's Biocube 14 Diary

whisk

Originally Posted by subielover
http:///forum/post/2832377
Everything is going pretty well right now. My corals are doing fine, all except for my duncan. I will figure a solution out this week. I am thinking of getting one of those soap dishes like Blazin had and putting it up near the top of the tank, so the blenny can't get to it. I can't figure out what he is trying to get off of it
Sometimes I do see what looks to be white stringy stuff hanging off of it, any ideas on what it could be?
Sun coral is doing well, especially the black one. My acans are nice and puffed when the lights are on, and so are my blastos
Lots of color, unfortunately my camera doesn't do the tank justice. I want to let everything grow out a little bit so I don't think I will post any pics for awhile. Unless of course I get some newbies

tank is coming along nicely Subie, you'll get rid of that algae in no time. The white stuff could be decaying matter from the duncan. Maybe its a blenny delicacy.

jerryatrick

If that duncan doesn't get any better I can hold it for you until it heals. Next time you swing by for new corals just bring it with you if you want.

subielover

Sounds good, I was thinking of buying a in-tank cpr mini fuge and just putting it in there, but not sure if I can spend the money right now. I will let you know, and thanks for the offer. I don't want to lose the duncan it is my favorite

jerryatrick

I have one of those fuges in my tank. Don't spend the money on it though. You already have a refuge and it would be cheaper to create your own. You could even build a small enclosure out of eggcrate. Duncans do not require high light as you know so don't worry to much about blocking light.

subielover

I wonder if I could put it in the fuge in my 2nd chamber? It has light and I could spot feed it some mysis for awhile. What do you think?

jerryatrick

Off the top of my head I can't think of any negatives then. Can't imagine anything being worse than being chomped on so the refuge might be a good idea.

subielover

Me neither, the only thing back there is live rock, chaeto and pods. I will do it tomorrow, of course a week or two ago I glued the piece of rubble that the duncan was on to a big piece of live rock, so I am going to have to pry it off
Hope I don't have an avalanche, I will have to be careful. I will let you know how it does, not sure why I didn't do this earlier.

subielover

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2834032
I think you will find that the rock will break off relatively easily with a little effort.
It was actually very easy to get off, thanks spanko. Well the duncan is now back in the fuge, so I will see if I see any improvement over the next few days. I am hoping it will be ok, we shall see.

subielover

My bicolor blenny has started eating mysis, which makes me feel a little better. I have seen him picking less and less at the algae so I was starting to get a bit nervous. He still is not as aggressive an eater as my false perc or my sixline, but he still got at least 4-5 mysis for himself.
My duncan seems to be doing a little better back in the refugium. I have checked on it a few times, still haven't seen it open all the way up, but it is definitely opening more. Once it opens enough, I will spot feed the heads some mysis.
My clean up crew is finally doing what they are in there for. I am going to do a water change either tomorrow or Saturday and will pull more algae out. The good news is that the flat rock on the top of my rock structure is almost devoid of hair algae completely. It still has some calupera popping up here and there, but that stuff is much easier just to yank out. Fighting algae is definitely a looooong battle, but I feel like I am getting the upper hand. When you look at my tank, the algae is definitely not the first thing you notice anymore.
As for corals, I think my next ones will be some nice large rics. I want to cover the one piece of live rock I have on the right side of my tank, I think it will look great. Probably have to get a hold of flric for those

That's it, I know my thread isn't the most exciting with no new pics, but I am hoping that next time I post some, I will be able to notice some growth. My zoas are definitely spreading. My acan that I got, had some half heads most likely from when it was cut. Those heads have just about filled out and are now just smaller heads around the edges. They look awesome. If anyone actually read all of this, thanks

whisk

haha I read all of it. It's good to know your battle with the algae is starting to turn for the better. Sounds like its been a pain in the butt for you. Sounds like your duncan will fare better and open up soon and its good your blenny is eating something else for a change.

fcatch76

Originally Posted by subielover
http:///forum/post/2837399
As for corals, I think my next ones will be some nice large rics. I want to cover the one piece of live rock I have on the right side of my tank, I think it will look great. Probably have to get a hold of flric for those

I will have some green rics if interested?

subielover

I will let you know fcatch. I certainly appreciate the offer. One of my buddies might be hooking me up with some, so I will wait and see what pans out. Plus I am broke at the moment

nwdyr

good to hear things are doing OK! Don't worry about the pic's....hey your thread could look like mine
no pic's sometimes is better. Keep up the good work

alexknight

subielover- I told ya when I get a wrx I would let u know.. well I did to day, I posted a form about it in "The Aquarium"