Texas police department should be ashamed!

tangman99

Ok. Having been a cop and on the end of many federal law suits over 10 years, I don't believe half the crap in that article. For one, It's a liberal rag blog called the "Hair Ball" for god's sake. That should be the first clue. There is no way that would still be going on after 2 years if this story was half true. The city isn't stupid. It would cut it's losses instead of backing the cops to the point if any of this happened in the way described.
And I won't even begin to tell you how many times I have been questioned over a medical report where it looked like one thing but wasn't even close. If the city came forth and justified the use of force, there was a lot more to this story. If someone was this stupid, the city would be backing away as fast as possible.
I'm not saying what they did was right. But when you go in, you deal with the situation as you believe it to be. If it's something else, you deal with it later. If someone is fighting you, you deal with it.
This whole story is so one sided, it's does itself total injustice. The funny thing is the drama being written in to make it look so bad to gain public outrage and hopefully help their cause. It's all about how much money they are going to get now.
It's only my opinion, but having been on the receiving end of over 250 federal law suits, I can vouch for just how much sensationalism and BS comes from those suing. I can honestly say that in 98% of all the lawsuits I had filed against me, they were totally bogus and someone attempting to make a quick buck of the state. In the other 2%, there may have been some merit, but the idiots filing them lie so bad to make it seem so much worse trying to get a big settlement, they end up discrediting themselves and it get's tossed out.
If this story is true as written, I agree these cops are scum, but I don't believe it based on experience.
My .02

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by TangMan99
http:///forum/post/2888042
Ok. Having been a cop and on the end of many federal law suits over 10 years, I don't believe half the crap in that article. For one, It's a liberal rag blog called the "Hair Ball" for god's sake. That should be the first clue. There is no way that would still be going on after 2 years if this story was half true. The city isn't stupid. It would cut it's losses instead of backing the cops to the point if any of this happened in the way described.
And I won't even begin to tell you how many times I have been questioned over a medical report where it looked like one thing but wasn't even close. If the city came forth and justified the use of force, there was a lot more to this story. If someone was this stupid, the city would be backing away as fast as possible.
I'm not saying what they did was right. But when you go in, you deal with the situation as you believe it to be. If it's something else, you deal with it later. If someone is fighting you, you deal with it.
This whole story is so one sided, it's does itself total injustice. The funny thing is the drama being written in to make it look so bad to gain public outrage and hopefully help their cause. It's all about how much money they are going to get now.
It's only my opinion, but having been on the receiving end of over 250 federal law suits, I can vouch for just how much sensationalism and BS comes from those suing. I can honestly say that in 98% of all the lawsuits I had filed against me, they were totally bogus and someone attempting to make a quick buck of the state. In the other 2%, there may have been some merit, but the idiots filing them lie so bad to make it seem so much worse trying to get a big settlement, they end up discrediting themselves and it get's tossed out.
If this story is true as written, I agree these cops are scum, but I don't believe it based on experience.
My .02
The opinion I was waiting. From a former officer. I love people that automatically side against the police. Our society has brainwashed us to do so. The article obviously is pushing an agenda to provoke outrage from the masses. Job well done. I am shocked at the number of people here that jumped on this cop lynching bandwagon WITHOUT even knowing the full story, seeing the police report, and following the case for the past 2 years. I am appalled at the number of people that will read a "blog" and take it as the sole facts in a story. No wonder we have the problems we have in this country. Most are happy being told what to think.

darthtang aw

Interesting considering your occupation
Hwy dept,medic fire fight
Next time you need police support for your job call a security company instead.

flpriest

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/2888071
The opinion I was waiting. From a former officer. I love people that automatically side against the police. Our society has brainwashed us to do so. The article obviously is pushing an agenda to provoke outrage from the masses. Job well done. I am shocked at the number of people here that jumped on this cop lynching bandwagon WITHOUT even knowing the full story, seeing the police report, and following the case for the past 2 years. I am appalled at the number of people that will read a "blog" and take it as the sole facts in a story. No wonder we have the problems we have in this country. Most are happy being told what to think.
Do you know the full story... If so, share... Otherwise my comments were about what was presented. IF there is another side, and it would have been offered up, I would have based my opinion on all information that I saw.

I am shocked at the people that have based their opinion solely on "Always believing that the police are only doing their job theory" If we all kept this attitude the British would still be in charge of North America...

tangman99

No one knows the full story but I'm not inclined to believe a liberal blog that appears to be written by someone who has it out for the cops. I would want to see the official internal investigation before I draw my conclussions along with some of the actual statements taken at the time of the incident. I don't doubt a mistake was made in that they picked up the wrong person. I do however doubt that anything happened like it was stated in this story. They make it sound like an abduction. It is all the perspective of the family who by the way is waiting for a big fat settlement check.
There is no way that this has gone on for two years with that being the facts. An internal investigation of something that blatant would have had the city handing out suspensions at the least and most likely firings within weeks. The suit would have been quietly settled for an undisclosed amount and you would have never heard another word because those types of settlements are dependant on neither side discussing the incident further.
Do things like this happen? Are there bad cops? Sure. I've seen incidents of cops abusing their athority but I've never seen anything of this magnitude and I've seen internal investigations crucify cops for much much less than this. The criminals have all the rights, period. As a cop you are severally handicapped and it can be frustrating which is one of the reasons I got out of that career 15 years ago and from the friends I have maintained contact with, it is 10 times worse today.
I'll be the first to restate that I don't know 1/2 the story and it is possible that this did happen but based on my experience with being directly involved in this type of litigation many times over many years, I'm saying the chances of this happening as described in this story are very small. I'd love hear what experience you are relying on for those that believe what they read in this story is the facts.

crimzy

I love seeing the dichotomy among the different perspectives in this debate. One side says that the little black girl looked like a whore and was in the ghetto while the other suggests that police are corrupt in general. Even on opposite sides of the argument, people are generally the same... and not in a good way.
While I do not blindly accept all of the allegations made, there are certain facts that appear undisputed and consistent among the sources. (1) the cops were given a description of 3 white prostitutes, (2) the girl in question was a 12 year old black female, (3) the officers were in an unmarked van and were wearing plain clothes, (4) the officers were at the wrong address, and (5) 3 officers used force to take the girl into custody, including hitting the child with a flashlight and causing injuries. Moreover, there was no claim by the officers that they identified themselves prior to grabbing this girl and attempting to cover her mouth so she couldn't scream.
Sorry but if this was my daughter outside of my home, and I came out to see what this father saw, I'd do anything necessary to protect her. These officers are lucky that no one got killed on that evening.
Some things that I thinik are reprehensible, regardless of whether you blindly support, or blindly hate cops... 1 unarmed 12 year old female vs. 3 armed, grown men. Why would they need to beat her in the face and head with a flashlight?
Even if only 1/2 of the allegations are true, then the family is going to get paid and the cops are going to get disciplined. And to respond to Tangman's question of why the matter wouldn't be resolved quickly, my guess would be that the Plaintiffs and their attorney are probably looking for a boatload of $$. If the asking price isn't right, then the city can't settle quickly.
JMO.

tangman99

Interesting read. Of course all the information described about what happened in the article is what the family claims happened. The police department is not going to provide any input. This statement alone tells me that:
“The defense/plaintiff’s attorney in this case knows that the state is constrained in what’s released and not released and has used that to try the case in the media,” Wiley said. “We have to wait for the court to handle this.”
It is also apparent from the article that the mother and father knew immediately that they were police officers when they went outside because they were trying to get them to release the daughter to them. If they had not known, I'm sure they would have tried to stop them and been on the ground also and under arrest.
It's also apparent that the girl fought them. Whether right or wrong, when you are trying to take someone into custody and they fight you, you are going to do whatever is necessary to protect yourself and restrain them. At this time they have no idea she is 12 and not a prostitute. If you have ever tried to subdue someone and put them in cuffs, trying to handcuff a woman that is fighting you is worst than a man. A woman is very hard to hold onto and can twist in ways that makes it damn near impossible to control. They also usually try to bite you and if you think you are apprehending a prostitute, the last thing you want is someone who probably is HIV positive to bite you. You also have to be very careful because you don't want to accidently grab them in a place you shouldn't even though they always claim you did anyway.
I'm curious to the head injuries but even those are alleged in the lawsuit. Not saying it, but I have had several people do more harm to themselves than I did during a struggle. There are several pressure point strikes that I have used to force compliance that to the average person looks very violent. One is called a brachial stun that is quick strike to the side of the neck with a back hand or open palm that will cause the person to blackout for a few seconds allowing you to subdue them. You always get the witness that states the police officer tried to break their neck.
Again, I am making assumptions as is everyone else, but again mine are all based on years of experience.

tangman99

Sorry Crimzy, I was still typing after you posted. I never took the position that this was a ghetto family. My opinions took no account into that at all. You are most likely correct in that the family is seeking a boatload of money and the city would not agree but they are still backing the officers after two years. I do know that if you overstep your bounds and put the city in liability, they will drop you like a hot potato. I don't know how many times I have heard I was on my own if allegations turned out to be true.
I can honestly say that I have had allegation made against me that I was totally shocked about but after a while became business as usual. Everyone wants to say something to try and get a chance to sue you just because they have the opportunity and it costs them nothing. I had one guy in a holding area claim I repeatedly beat his head in the ground after I handcuffed him and kicked him in the ribs repeatedly. Had gory pictures and all of this guy with his face all busted up and blood all over him. Post use of force medical exam backed up everything they were claiming. Even found a few witnesses to say they saw the whole thing. Damn dirty cop beating a defenseless handcuffed man. How dare he. Funny how fast they dropped everything when a survelance camera showed the guy having a textbook process of being handcuffed and then while left alone was slamming his own face into it floor and throwing himself over chairs and after we stopped him, he screamed that we were all going to pay now for doing this to him. He had all our jobs and was going to be rich. Did we rush to show the film? No as it was nothing out of the ordinary. We wrote up the report as happened and waited for the allegations and the investigation.

crimzy

Originally Posted by TangMan99
http:///forum/post/2888741
Sorry Crimzy, I was still typing after you posted. I never took the position that this was a ghetto family. My opinions took no account into that at all. You are most likely correct in that the family is seeking a boatload of money and the city would not agree but they are still backing the officers after two years. I do know that if you overstep your bounds and put the city in liability, they will drop you like a hot potato. I don't know how many times I have heard I was on my own if allegations turned out to be true.
I can honestly say that I have had allegation made against me that I was totally shocked about but after a while became business as usual. Everyone wants to say something to try and get a chance to sue you just because they have the opportunity and it costs them nothing. I had one guy in a holding area claim I repeatedly beat his head in the ground after I handcuffed him and kicked him in the ribs repeatedly. Had gory pictures and all of this guy with his face all busted up and blood all over him. Post use of force medical exam backed up everything they were claiming. Even found a few witnesses to say they saw the whole thing. Damn dirty cop beating a defenseless handcuffed man. How dare he. Funny how fast they dropped everything when a survelance camera showed the guy having a textbook process of being handcuffed and then while left alone was slamming his own face into it floor and throwing himself over chairs and after we stopped him, he screamed that we were all going to pay now for doing this to him. He had all our jobs and was going to be rich. Did we rush to show the film? No as it was nothing out of the ordinary. We wrote up the report as happened and waited for the allegations and the investigation.
I wasn't suggesting that you claimed that this was a ghetto family (see Post #5).
Do you really believe that a 12 year old child beat herself about the face and head causing these injuries? I don't.

sharkbait9

http:///forum/post/2888408

http:///forum/post/2888408
Yeah it is interesting and my brothers are police officers too, what’s your point?
I wish we could call the security company. At least they get out of the car and not sit their on a cell phone or read the newspaper and drink coffee at 65 bucks an hour. Its not for safety but because its written in the town ordinance that any construction done in the town an officer needs to be present. The officer doesn’t have to do anything but be present. Mean while you cry about the union and what not. You think the company doing the work swallows that? No it gets tacked onto everyone’s monthly bill.
At least I chose to take a noble job to help the sick and injured and save lives and homes. Wheres my “man card“. I chose to go the other career choice and not arrest and ticket people for doing the same thing they do and abuse the aluminum foil badge that they pin on their chest and walk around like king sh** Or cry for back up on a traffic stop cause its more then one person in the car. Or waste three clips on a single person and the vic only has two GSW’s. or smash their PR24 over a person back and knee because they struggle and say they fell. They stink.
Next time I need a cop, they better do the job as they were trained to and are supposed to do. But probably wont cause they don’t want to get shot or beat up. Most are useless bags of garbage. If they are not then they don’t take offense to the comments.
Like I said most feel they are above the law and can trample the peoples rights.
Police# who needs them I own guns
First Aid# that’s me
Fire Dept that’s me also.
So gee im pretty much covered.

tangman99

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2888758
Do you really believe that a 12 year old child beat herself about the face and head causing these injuries? I don't.

No I do not and that is the part that I would like to see how the use of force was written up. I would hate to think that three cops would have to hit any female in the head period much less with an alleged flashlight. I can tell you though that I would choose to have to subdue a guy any day over a woman. Woman can cause severe pain which often causes you to have spontaneous reactions usually from being bitten or having finger nails dug in your face. You can only try to be gentle for so long and they you pretty much have enough of it.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by flpriest
http:///forum/post/2887998
Now most of the time I agree with your opinion stdreb, but here is one of the occations where this is not the case... I don't recall in any of these "blogs" where it said the little girl was arrested until the day at her school for "assulting a police officer". Also, I don't recall reading anywhere that she was dressed like a whore...

Three cops driving down the road aren't going to mistake my wife for a hooker. How else are you going to mistake a girl as a hooker. She isn't holding "will <fill in the blank> you for food" sign. Of course these anti-police websites aren't going to say she was dressed like a hooker.
Originally Posted by flpriest
http:///forum/post/2888465
"Always believing that the police are only doing their job theory" If we all kept this attitude the British would still be in charge of North America...

I'm more inclined to believe the cops were straight vs drug addict dad, and a girl who trained professionals thought was turning tricks.
But then again, I've been known to not be logical either...
Originally Posted by crimzy

http:///forum/post/2888758
I wasn't suggesting that you claimed that this was a ghetto family (see Post #5).

AS someone with first hand knowledge of galveston. I feel perfectly comfortable saying ghetto. Because that is basically what all of galveston is. I've lived in the ghetto, I've dealt with the general public in the ghetto. There are good people who live in the ghetto, but a "family" where the daughter is walking around in skimpy clothes and a dad with drugs in the car. Well like I said earlier. It is all statistics. And for those to be wrong you have to believe that EVERY single jury in America are a bunch of racist pigs.