The "DO NOT..." Advice List for Saltwater Aquarists

S

sinner's girl

I don't remember if this was added or not
Do not add additives to your tank without having the test kit for that additives, one to see if you need to add that, and two to see if you have too much after you add it.
Do not tell others that you'd rather fish stuff for gifts...(But mom, I don't need clothes...I need more lr. Mom, I really want a bigger tank (instead I got a big fish that is a piggie bank...to save up for my bigger tank)
Do not tell the person who gave you money as a wedding gift that you spent it on lr...(lie, say you bought sheet or a toaster, they won't see lr as an investment for your future....)
Do not expect others to care about your tank the way you do...non swf addicted people don't understand.
do not let S/O get into your swf tank stash
If your S/O says you can get a u build it package as a graduation gift...make him stick to it!!
Ok, I gotta go back to work now, break over.

Originally posted by Sinner's Girl
Do not tell the person who gave you money as a wedding gift that you spent it on lr...(lie, say you bought sheet or a toaster, they won't see lr as an investment for your future....)

That sounds like advice from experience!

T

thomas712

Do not try to rip out aptasia from a rock, they will only spread spores.
Just wanted to be number 200 :D
Thomas

buzz

I think the longest thread was the "getting to know the people behind the posts" thread (or something like that).

T

thomas712

OT: getting to know the people behind the posts/ blondenaso1/ Reef Tanks/ replies 1885/ views 29556.
Not bad, not the most infamous thread, but not bad.
Thomas

barrera23

Originally posted by Mistylab
Even though I have this crazy idea you were getting that from me, I'll have to second that.

Nope didnt get that from you I got that from the #$%&!@# fish dying on me !!!!:mad:

Do not ignore that spot of salt near the corner of your tank that keeps coming back.
Do not encourage the clerk at the local ***** when he claims the store is planning to remodel and "upgrade" their saltwater section to include a large reef tank. RED ALERT RED ALERT DIVE! DIVE ! DIVE!
Do not leave your bucket of salt in the basement where your son can pop the lid off and leave you with a lovely door stop.

N

newreefers

When asking for advice on the board and 200 people say "no don't do it", and 1 person says "I did it and it was ok" DO NOT listen to the 1 persons advice. Think "majority rules".

lionstorm

Originally posted by SpongeBobSquarePants
Do not leave your bucket of salt in the basement where your son can pop the lid off and leave you with a lovely door stop.

Happened to me once, the salt dried out a little but there was some in it still okay to use, and I chizzled the rest into powder :D
Do NOT Let your Dad keep feeding your fish without your permission behind your back when you are battling a high nitrate problem! :mad:

jennyl

Do Not believe it if someone tells you that you can raise seahorses on brine shrimp.
Do Not buy a cute little water critter and then ask for an id and what does it eat. Research first is my belief.
Do Not annoy the mods on this board (giggle)
Do Not march back and forth in front of the Lobster Tank of your local market, shouting, SAVE THE LOBSTERS. They seem to frown on this activity.

sleasia

Do not tell the lfs guy that you are now buying more sw fish because you have been so successful you are now setting up a second tank. tell the truth, that you killed all the fish you bought last week. :(

dacia

Do not tell the lfs guy that you are now buying more sw fish because you have been so successful you are now setting up a second tank. tell the truth, that you killed all the fish you bought last week.
Or that you just want to have more fish than you are supposed to have in your little tank...

seankotch

Do Not eat the yellow snow (tastes worse than the siphon hose).
Do Not take any wooden nickels (pocket full-o-change can leave some nasty splinters).
Do Not let your SO move your tank while you're in a foreign land. Especially if that tank ends up next to a sofa where a 3 yr old can feed the hungry little fishies a whole can of flake, a box of peat granules, an entire container of Quaker Instant Oats, and half a box of corn meal. Anyone ever smelled Fish Whiskey?
Do Not let same SO care for your pets if she carries a secret desire to divorce your --- as soon as you get back from Iraq.

jjgomillion

DO NOT try setting up a sump with a rubbermaid container that barely fits under your stand, with siphon that takes more water to your sump than your pump can push back up. Especially if your hubby just spent $1000 on a new pergo floor and wasn't really thrilled about you spending $200 on LR ("what the **** is that?"), $150 on a "skimmer???", $50 for a "bucket of salt!?!?!?", and the $10 of gas that it takes to get to the FS.
Thought you'd like a warning... lol:eek:

sleasia

Do not decide you are clever and will use deionized water sold at the grocery store to get out of paying big bucks for a r/o d/i system....I drove around six times going to 10 different grocery stores in search of deionized water. No one carries it anymore, probably because no one has time to iron anymore. Just work an extra shift, get the big bucks somehow, buy the r/o system and save yourself the aggravation.:eek:

DO NOT put a tang in anything under a 55 gallon! And even then, only certain tangs can go in that!
DO NOT get so wrapped up in a computer game that you don't hear your fish jump to his death behind you!
And finally, please do not post posts meant to make others angry or on anything you can think of to talk about!
Ok, my ranting is done. :D