The One Question-Answer Thread

rlablan

IMO, as soon as the salt is dissolved. I don't know about the temp question, but I have an accurate reading as soon as I can no longer see the salt.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by Angler man
http:///forum/post/3186322
Here's a quick question. How soon after mixing salt can you trust the reading to adjust the salinity? Does temp effect the reading in any way shape or form?
Most refractometers are ATC. This stands for automatic temperature compensation. If you are using a hydrometer, remember that the perfect number isn't what you are after, but consistency is what you need. So make sure that the salinity reading of your new saltwater matches the tank's salinity and test them when they are at the same temperature. Alternatively, you could find one of those charts that tell SG based upon temperature. Good Luck.

ilkaisha

We are currently cycling 125 gallons, RO water plus salt, 80 lbs crushed coral substrate from an established tank that was stored 1 month prior to being placed in ours, around 80 pounds of dead rock, and a new 5 lb live rock.
After being full for just over a week, our ammonia is at .5, Nitrites well over 5 ppm, pH 7.8 . . .
boyfriend is a previous hobbyist, and I am a complete noob - SO, all that said:
- beyond "add more rock and/or sand" what might you suggest. (we know this, we intend to get more live rock, and are pretty much not in love with the coral. we do have more if we decide not to swap for sand, though)
- we have a little feather duster that just showed up on one of our rocks. where from?
- any guess as to how long the cycle will take to complete?
- what should our water change be at that point?
sorry for probably repeating questions you've answered a billion times. :)
- ilky

trouble93

I have a question about flow rate and tank turn over, is 80 times turned over to much? The tank is mostly sps & lps 4 power heads 2 moded maxi-jets running all the time and two Koralia#4 on a wavemaker set a about 4min.

tank a holic

Originally Posted by trouble93
http:///forum/post/3186606
I have a question about flow rate and tank turn over, is 80 times turned over to much? The tank is mostly sps & lps 4 power heads 2 moded maxi-jets running all the time and two Koralia#4 on a wavemaker set a about 4min.
as long as your corals dont mind the extra flow I dont see why it would be a problem
might have trouble keeping a nem happy though

rlablan

You can do a HOB filter but I only like them for tank 20 gal and under, otherwise, I find them to be a little less effective the bigger you go.
I also find them intrusive and they make salt creep a hassle. IME
It is also a very common misconception that a sump will flood. This is only true in the case that it is not plumbed right. If you set it up right (which most people should know how to do if they know what syphon means, and if they understand how a simple vacuum works...) then it will not leak. If it does, then your tank is broken, or you don't know what you're doing.
That being said, what about a canister? I run 1 sump on a 45 gallon reef and a Fluval 405 canister on a 55 gallon reef. I like both alot. Both have +/-'s.

rlablan

Originally Posted by ilkaisha
http:///forum/post/3186591
We are currently cycling 125 gallons, RO water plus salt, 80 lbs crushed coral substrate from an established tank that was stored 1 month prior to being placed in ours, around 80 pounds of dead rock, and a new 5 lb live rock.
After being full for just over a week, our ammonia is at .5, Nitrites well over 5 ppm, pH 7.8 . . .
boyfriend is a previous hobbyist, and I am a complete noob - SO, all that said:
- beyond "add more rock and/or sand" what might you suggest. (we know this, we intend to get more live rock, and are pretty much not in love with the coral. we do have more if we decide not to swap for sand, though)
- we have a little feather duster that just showed up on one of our rocks. where from?
- any guess as to how long the cycle will take to complete?
- what should our water change be at that point?
sorry for probably repeating questions you've answered a billion times. :)
- ilky

a billion times indeed. I think this is a question that you need to find the answer to yourself. It helps to find these things on one's own, that way you know next time and are more self sufficient. This is something that is EVERYWHERE on SWF.com. There are more than a few archives in the "new" section that are all about cycle time and what to do, what not to do. There is no DEFINITE answer, mind you. It is all based on what you did and how you did it, and what you continue to do or not do.
I know this is not an instant answer, but I just think that with about 10 minutes of poking around on SWF, you will find the answer you seek very easily.

diomedes

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3188561
You can do a HOB filter but I only like them for tank 20 gal and under, otherwise, I find them to be a little less effective the bigger you go.
I also find them intrusive and they make salt creep a hassle. IME
It is also a very common misconception that a sump will flood. This is only true in the case that it is not plumbed right. If you set it up right (which most people should know how to do if they know what syphon means, and if they understand how a simple vacuum works...) then it will not leak. If it does, then your tank is broken, or you don't know what you're doing.
That being said, what about a canister? I run 1 sump on a 45 gallon reef and a Fluval 405 canister on a 55 gallon reef. I like both alot. Both have +/-'s.
I failed to mention that this is a 75gallon FOWLR. Is it still critical to have a canister or sump since I don't have anenomes or corals? I have about 30lbs of LR and a 75ga. capacity HOB and a 30ga. capacity HOB on the tank.

rlablan

Well If It were me and I had to have the HOB filter, I would use both filters (can't hurt) but then I would have AT LEAST 75 lbs of LR.
So, you can either spend money on more LR or just get a canister, which is essentially that same as a HOB, only no salt creep and I find them a lot more quiet, and alot more customizable when it comes to media capacity.
But if it's FOWLR, AND there are no like puffers or predators AND your bioload is reasonably low, I don't see an issue. You'll just have to see what is best for you.

jrod4u

My two cents, a sump can also fail/flood when too much water is added to the sump itself, not just user setup. I turned off my sump to see where the water line ended, in order to make sure no flooding was to happen, e.g. when power goes out. Had that last week, lost power for 8 hours, thank god for generators

trouble93

Originally Posted by tank a holic
http:///forum/post/3188474
as long as your corals dont mind the extra flow I dont see why it would be a problem
might have trouble keeping a nem happy though
I have one and the funny thing is it's about the highest thing in the tank. It is however behind a power head that is on a slow timer. Thanks

diomedes

The thing is... I want to run some aggressive fish, two triggers, one porc. puffer, one yellow tang, and as they begin to out grow the tank move them to a 125ga.

ilkaisha

http:///forum/post/3188562
a billion times indeed. I think this is a question that you need to find the answer to yourself. It helps to find these things on one's own, that way you know next time and are more self sufficient. This is something that is EVERYWHERE on SWF.com. There are more than a few archives in the "new" section that are all about cycle time and what to do, what not to do. There is no DEFINITE answer, mind you. It is all based on what you did and how you did it, and what you continue to do or not do.
I know this is not an instant answer, but I just think that with about 10 minutes of poking around on SWF, you will find the answer you seek very easily.
Maybe if you've no intention of being helpful to NEW HOBBYISTS in the NEW HOBBYISTS section then you should get the hell out. I have seen the same basic questions answered over and over again in the few short weeks I've been here. I'm positive that no-one, ever, has discussed POWERHEADS, and 10 minutes on SWF forums would yield you no answer.

pezenfuego

Seriously? This thread was created as a "safe-zone." Ask anything related to the hobby. Free game. Please refrain from posts like this in the future.

tygoef

I have already answered the questions for her. What she was hoping for was another opinion. She will NOT easily find the answer she's looking for elsewhere on the site because very few other tanks are set up exactly as ours is, if any are. The same reason why your question about canisters is valid. Canisters are discussed ad nauseum on this site and every other salt water aquarium site in existence, more so than an explanation of what goes on during a tank cycle. Making your attitude followed by a question more fully previously discussed unwarranted and absurd.

rlablan

Wow, really?
That wasn't meant to be rude at all. Maybe before everyone jumps on my back about trying to tell a new hobbiest to think for themselves and read a bit, think about what I am saying.
There is great potential in this hobby if you are willing to research a little bit and experiment. Try some things and read from other people's experiences, rather than just asking someone to tell you, or having them hand you an answer. This was a really simple question, regarding how long it would take to cycle a fishless tank with very little live rock. You're telling me that this has never been talked about on SWF.com? This is something that I see monthly in hobbiest magazines and daily on this site and others.
If someone else is going to do everything for you, why didn't you have some else set up the tank, and maintain it too? Then you wouldn't even have to ask things, and then get mad when someone offers to point you in the right direction about where to find a more in-depth answer. Since your tank is so "special" and set up so "differently", then you could piece together your own answer, based on the knowledge you absorbed through about 10 minutes of reading.
Since that was so hard,lemme help you out

R

roberts0909

End goal: 100 - 150gal, community fish, LR, live sand, with some inverts, what Fenner (The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, 2nd ed., p. 35) calls the Fish-and-hardy-invert system
Some of the posts in this thread are somewhat high-level, but here's several of my sw noobie questions:
1) what makes a tank "reef ready" or non-reef ready?
2) I've checked Craig's List and the local reef club site, but can't find the kind of tank I'd like to buy used. Any other good sources for used tanks?
3) Where would I buy a new tank in the 100+ range? Who's reputable? (Who's not?) What features should I look for (like overflows)?
4) Glass vs. acrylic; it seems acrylic is better (light, insulation) but higher priced--and softer. Is it worth the $? Relative to glass how easily is it scratched?
5) Is there some sort of online database (or even software to download/buy) that would help with livestock planning? Maybe something that lets you pick a community "style" like aggressives in a 100 gallon, then offers reasonable choices. Or maybe lets you design around a single "Gotta Have It" creature and makes suggestions on possible tankmates as modified by tank size, lighting, etc.
That's a bunch, and a challenge for anyone to answer.
Thanks in Advance!

rlablan

Roberts- where are you located? I am in AZ, so I can tell you who is good here, but I dk where you live. If you post location, people can tell you their experiences and tell you what is good.
I bought a great 200 gallon custom tank on CL a while back and it was CHEAP and in great shape.
I like acrylic and glass. For a reef, I could go either way, for a puffer tank or for a fish who paces, I say glass because other wise you will get pace marks. I have had both, and like them both, it just depends on what you are looking to do...
What to look for in that tank to buy, depends on what you want to do... are you planning a sump? canister? or HOB filter? Do you want Fish only with LR? Or a Reef tank? Is it going to be a species only tank? a predator tank?
Also, what is your budget, because the bigger the tank, the more specialized equipment, and that costs lots more $$$$.
I DK about the software but am working on a pocket guide compatibility and general info guide for Iphone... Should have a huge database with atleast 200 fish to cross reference.

R

roberts0909

Thanks rlablan. I've added some detail to the post.
For now I'm thinking a modified FOWLR, non-reef, though I wouldn't rule out reef long term. Community, with color and some interesting behaviors.
Planning a sump? From what I'm reading a refugium is the way to go.
I don't have a solid number for a budget, still negotiating with the spousal unit, but I'd much rather spend adequate money now to save $$ and heartache in the future.
The app sounds interesting. Be sure to post when it's done or ready for testing.