The One Question-Answer Thread

mrdc

Nice thread. I picked up on some useful info. Going back to something that was discussed earlier - stronium. I saw the biological processes that use it but why is too much stronium bad? I thought I have read that before but never really knew why.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by Shrimpy Brains
http:///forum/post/3227361
K, I've got one.
With all the captive breeding that is now going on in the hobby, there seems to be an abundance of inbreeding.
Do you think that inbreeding doesn't matter in fish? Or are the long term results of this yet to be discovered??
I've always read that it doesn't matter in fish. However, I can't imagine that it has absolutely not effect whatsoever. I bet the effects are more prominent in certain species. That is a darn good question! Just realize that what I provided was more of a prediction than a answer.

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by mrdc
http:///forum/post/3227381
Nice thread. I picked up on some useful info. Going back to something that was discussed earlier - stronium. I saw the biological processes that use it but why is too much stronium bad? I thought I have read that before but never really knew why.
For the same reason "too much" of anything else would be bad.
For example, too much calcium and magnesium would cause your ph to go haywire.
We try to match what exist in the ocean and acheive the same balance. We don't know enough about the chemistry of it all to know what too much or too little of certain elements would do. Maybe too much strontium, would deplete something else.
You can buy a test kit for this, I think it's like $50.

bang guy

Excessive Strontium will cause calcification to become deformed. Bone spurs and scoliosis in fish, irregular shells in snails and clams, asymetric basal plates, etc.

socal57che

I've been looking, but can't find anything definitive.
Will excess light (say from metal halides) damage sun coral tissue? Some people say it will, but I can't find corroborating evidence...just hearsay.
Can anybody tell me for certain if sun coral tissue can, for a fact, be damaged by intense lighting? Would it be too much to ask for a link to the info? I'll PM my email to anyone that has proof of either a yes or no.

reefkprz

outside the fact that Any flesh of any organism can be damaged by too intense of lighting (uv damage). I dont know what sort of proof your looking for here in this case. but it is possible to inflict uv damage on them just like you can uv burn anyother coral in the ocean. (or any land animal either for that matter) they all have different tolerances. I for one dont know the specific tolerance level of sun corals. but fail to find any evidence that suggests normal reef lighting levels will kill a sun coral. -sorry I dont have any proof either way but its 100% positive you can UV burn any piece of flesh in existence its just a matter of how intense it needs to get to ibnflict damage
the real danger to sun corals in lighted areas is algal smothering, since they are obligate organismal feeders they must defecate and their waste in an improper habitat tends to encourage local algal growth (hence the usual set up of in a dark area with abundant food where photosynthetic algaes cannot thrive).

socal57che

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/3227523
outside the fact that Any flesh of any organism can be damaged by too intense of lighting (uv damage). I dont know what sort of proof your looking for here in this case. but it is possible to inflict uv damage on them just like you can uv burn anyother coral in the ocean. (or any land animal either for that matter) they all have different tolerances. I for one dont know the specific tolerance level of sun corals. but fail to find any evidence that suggests normal reef lighting levels will kill a sun coral. -sorry I dont have any proof either way but its 100% positive you can UV burn any piece of flesh in existence its just a matter of how intense it needs to get to ibnflict damage
the real danger to sun corals in lighted areas is algal smothering, since they are obligate organismal feeders they must defecate and their waste in an improper habitat tends to encourage local algal growth (hence the usual set up of in a dark area with abundant food where photosynthetic algaes cannot thrive).
I've seen the issues with algae, but in reading, people seem to be indicating that they are sensitive enough that they should not be exposed to direct M/H lighing. No mention was made about PC lights so I wasn't as concerned about burns. I placed mine in an area with enough flow to keep them blown clean, but wanted to be sure that they would not experience tissue damage because it also allows plenty of light to reach them. It also makes feeding them a whole lot easier.
I guess what I'm looking for is someone that has either personally experienced it, or reference some piece of research that "sheds some light" on how tolerant the actually are. I've also read that they are not as sensitive to light as once thought, but rather live in dark or shaded areas solely due to their natural food source. Again, nothing concrete, just theory. I am watching mine closely, but I only have PC lights. Someone in another thread asked about mounting them in full light where they could see them better. I posted my findings, but I'd like to hear from someone who knows for sure.
If you have sun coral, where is it placed in your tank?

superhero

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/3227538
I've seen the issues with algae, but in reading, people seem to be indicating that they are sensitive enough that they should not be exposed to direct M/H lighing. No mention was made about PC lights so I wasn't as concerned about burns. I placed mine in an area with enough flow to keep them blown clean, but wanted to be sure that they would not experience tissue damage because it also allows plenty of light to reach them. It also makes feeding them a whole lot easier.
I guess what I'm looking for is someone that has either personally experienced it, or reference some piece of research that "sheds some light" on how tolerant the actually are. I've also read that they are not as sensitive to light as once thought, but rather live in dark or shaded areas solely due to their natural food source. Again, nothing concrete, just theory. I am watching mine closely, but I only have PC lights. Someone in another thread asked about mounting them in full light where they could see them better. I posted my findings, but I'd like to hear from someone who knows for sure.
If you have sun coral, where is it placed in your tank?
Hey, I have a sun coral and it is under MH's and living and thriving just fine. It's probably 18" deep in my tank out in the open. I have had it for over 9 months and have had no problems with it being in the direct light. Just make sure you keep it fed and it will be nice and happy!

socal57che

Originally Posted by Superhero
http:///forum/post/3227780
Hey, I have a sun coral and it is under MH's and living and thriving just fine. It's probably 18" deep in my tank out in the open. I have had it for over 9 months and have had no problems with it being in the direct light. Just make sure you keep it fed and it will be nice and happy!
Thanks.

Do you cover yours to feed it? I'm going to make a dome out of a 20oz. plastic soda bottle to feed it through. I can't seem to keep my trigger and CBS away from it while feeding unless I do it after dark. I would like to enjoy seeing the polyps during the day so I am training it to eat with the lights on. I've had it less than a week and it eats like a horse.

superhero

No I do not cover mine while I feed it. I just try to stay near the tank and if any of my fish come over to pick the plankton or mysis out, i just shove my hand in the water to scare them away. Kinda work intensive, (and i should probably make a cover) but it gets the job done. I'm pretty lucky because mine always seems to be open or willing to open up in 5 minutes. Whenever I feed my fish the sun coral will open up momentarily and stay that way for close to an hour or more even if i don't feed it. Sounds like a good start and the soda bottle top should work great!

-Tony