Tiffany's 400G build thread

tiffanyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangs rule http:///t/388213/out-with-the-old-155-gallon-and-in-with-the-new-monster#post_3423442
It'll work fine till ya begin filling it
Then, you're gonna meet several neighbors - some of whom may be a little mad
Are you having someone deliver it and get it into the house? If so - can they level it? or do you know the spot where it's going is level alraedy?
Well it was delivered yesterday and I had to put it in my garage until I can move the 155 gallon. The place it's going is already level. This thing makes my 155 look like a peanut!

tiffanyk

ok so in the next few weeks I'm going to be looking for a skimmer...Is there even one big enough to run my system? I would say the sump is close to 60-70 gallons. SOOO holy mother of mammoth fish tanks, im going to be running 460 or so gallons. I'm sure I bit off more than I can chew!

meowzer

You are talking BIG bucks, BUT look into the Super Reef Octopus Hurricone line
They have a 5000 model (extrenal or internal) rated up to 400G's
and they also have a XP 8000...not sure what that is rated up to though.....I have the Hurricone Cat2e on my 225G and LOVE IT
EDIT: The 8000 is rated up to 1000G's...and they have a 6000 model too rated up to 550G's...

tiffanyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/388213/out-with-the-old-155-gallon-and-in-with-the-new-monster/20#post_3423775
You are talking BIG bucks, BUT look into the Super Reef Octopus Hurricone line
They have a 5000 model (extrenal or internal) rated up to 400G's
and they also have a XP 8000...not sure what that is rated up to though.....I have the Hurricone Cat2e on my 225G and LOVE IT
EDIT: The 8000 is rated up to 1000G's...and they have a 6000 model too rated up to 550G's...

thanks Meowzer!!!!!!

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffanyk http:///t/388213/out-with-the-old-155-gallon-and-in-with-the-new-monster/20#post_3423768
ok so in the next few weeks I'm going to be looking for a skimmer...Is there even one big enough to run my system? I would say the sump is close to 60-70 gallons. SOOO holy mother of mammoth fish tanks, im going to be running 460 or so gallons. I'm sure I bit off more than I can chew!

I was wondering when I'd read this on your thread - -LOL I was in the same boat with the 475!!! Biggest tank I had prior was the 125 when I stepped up to "monster"
Here is my equipment list of what I run in the 475:
Reeflo barracuda - closed loop recirc pump, 1.50" inlet w/dual strainers in the tank / dual 1" outputs 45deg angle
Reeflo snapper - return pump from sump running 2" inlet w/dual 3/4" jets in the top of DT
Dual skimmers - 1 BubbleMagnus 220 and one larger BM 350
75g glass sump
30tall glass fuge
Korallin 1502 Calcium reactor
A large industrial ozone generator - runs for 5 minutes 2x per day
Neptune Apex controller
1/2hp chiller (needs to be 1hp)
DIY turf scrubber
3x 400w Halide + 3x 250w HQI lighitng
4x 350w heaters.
Problem with most great skimmers - they are too tall to fit in my stand. I think I only had 26 or so inches of vertical room to play with, and that short a height crossed off ALOT of great skimmers out there. The ones I;ve got are cheep, but with some ozone, they generate 2 cups/day skimmate. Be sure to check out my original 475g build thread to see all the dumb things I did.
I would avoid mag drive pumps for a tank this size. To get good turnover your gonna need 2 pumps from 2500 gph to 5k gph, and mag drives that big cost $$$$ and generate ALOT of heat, much of which is transferred to the water and you will soon learn just how much energy it takes to drop 500gallons of water by 1 degree F.
I LOVE the direct drive "pool" pumps made by reefflo, and ALOT of big tankers in the 300-1000 gal range swear by them. The pumps are designed to be used with saltwater and to run 24/7/365
And if you run metal halide lighting like me - add another 100 per month to the electric bill, cause living in AZ your airconditioner is gonna run almost double what it currently does :( Heck the fans on the pumps alone warm the room my tank is in nicely. AS soon as the lights come on, the room runs much hotter, and when the chiller runs it just acts like a space-heater in the room, and when it's 105 outside, the AC unit runs nonstop from 2pm - 7pm

tiffanyk

Tank came with:
Life guard UV sterilizers 2 of them
12500 Dolphin pump
60 gallon sump
I would like to put LED's on this system
Oh also Tank already has all the bulkheads and i would just replace tubing on it.

S

siptang

Wow Tiffany!!! that's freaking awesome!!!
That's the ideal size that I DREAM about. You and my wife need to get together for a talk lol.
Like someone said earlier, please post more on the build thread! Would love to follow the steps. (nice pics would be awesome too! )

tiffanyk

Currently it's still sitting in my garage! I still need to buy a skimmer and led's. It is going in the spot my 155 is now soooooo i've gotta get it moved onto another wall. The monster wont fit anywhere else lol.